Gentleperson's folder

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
bobnikon

Gentleperson's folder

Post by bobnikon »

I recently found out that I am likely going to be an office dweeb wearing less casual clothing for the foreseeable future. I am looking to be well appointed, and thus need a decent knife... of course. I have a wide array of larger folders, mostly Spydies but a number of others. I am looking for something a little more in line with clipping.carrying in semi/dress pants.

I looked at the small sebenza and the mnandi, but I would rather consider a couple nice "lesser" knives. So looking for something less than $300 Cdn, so call it $200ish usd (we lose on exchange and then a random extra bump). And preferably something that can be found (in stock) at blades canada. I am impatient and it can be sketchy getting things across the border. If I absolutley must consider it the CR range is the absolute top end, but then I only get 1 knife... :( :confused:

Large guy with large-ish hands, size 11 gloves. I know that a proper gentleperson's knife will not fill my hand.

I really like M390 (20cv, 204p), but open to most anything.

Currently looking at a bunch, but that is part of the problem.
Watu
Titanium Chap (only because birdseye won't drop for a while here)
Spyopera
BM Valet
BM Proper
Cold Steel Lucky
Fox Italy Livri
ZT 450 (bigger but seems to print small)
CRKT Crossbones M390 (again looks like it is pretty pocketable)
Kyzer Feist
Etc, etc, etc...

I know I gravitate to larger blades so very open to a bigger blades that carry small. Some of the knives above aren't take-down. That would be a bonus.

You can see the problem. So many nice knives... first world problems. :rolleyes:

Thoughts on any of the above and others that should be added to consideration, ideally weighing pros and cons if you own multiple.

Cheers
Erik
RLR

Re: Gentleperson's folder

Post by RLR »

Ikuchi may be perfect. Light, fun, slim, capable. No issue for big hands.

Cricket will do all you need in an office setting also. Zero print. Same goes for Lil Lum Chinese Folder. 2 to 3 finger grip is your friend.

Although a tad thicker, the Lil Native (any iteration) would also be near perfect. To me, it’s the best Spydie ever (in comp lock)

BM proper is heavy. It’s awesome and I love it, but clipless, I don’t think of it as suit or slacks carry.
Last edited by RLR on Wed Feb 03, 2021 7:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

The Kizer Feist is an interesting little knife for a good price. One of my buddies at work has one. If I didn't already have a few nice knives for classy carry, I'd probably grab one of those. Quite a few variations available too I believe.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Just get a Spyderco Chaparral. You'll be happy.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:32 am
Just get a Spyderco Chaparral. You'll be happy.
+1

The CF one is my favorite
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

I would consider the Spydiechef if you want a longer cutting edge that carries discreetly in a slim, very pocket-friendly package.

The Chaparral or Baby Horn are nice at the smaller end.

...Edited typo
Last edited by Enactive on Wed Feb 03, 2021 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
bobnikon

Post by bobnikon »

Some great suggestions. I hadn't considered the ikuchi, but it does look fun. I have the CF Chap in my cart right now, along with the Watu. But need to do some "soul searching" before I pull the trigger on anything. I really wanted a seb or mnandi, but... so much could be got for the price of 1 of those...

I looked at the Chef, and had concerns, but imagine they may have been fixed by now, with the lock bar. Seemed to be lots of issues early on, not sure what the current status is. I really like the idea of a Ti/LCN200 piece.
bobnikon

Post by bobnikon »

I must say as well, that my knife is often my fidget spinner, so fidget factor is a big bonus.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

bobnikon wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:57 am
I really wanted a seb or mnandi, but... so much could be got for the price of 1 of those...
I just got my first small sebenza with inlays...it doesn't disappoint! If you're willing to pay that extra price, you won't need another knife for this category of carry ever again.

The Watu is also a very good choice. Personally, I've had the Chap and currently have the Watu. You have larger hands, I would think the Watu would fill your hand a bit better. It's also such a unique blade shape, really sets it apart from a typical leaf design in my opinion.

Resized_20210115_091510(1)001.jpeg

-Rick
bobnikon

Post by bobnikon »

Thanks TkoK83Spy, but you aren't supposed to be encouraging the Seb lust...

Doh!
RLR

Post by RLR »

bobnikon wrote: Thanks TkoK83Spy, but you aren't supposed to be encouraging the Seb lust...

Doh!
Then don't look at a small tanto inkosi. That would be bad ;)
bobnikon

Post by bobnikon »

Yeah, no fear of you guys leading me astray!
vivi

Post by vivi »

Last time I worked in an office I carried the same knife I did everywhere else (Police 3) and added a clipless Spin to my back pocket. I'd use the Spin for everything except cutting fruit in the lunch room. That setup worked well for me. Not sure if that would fly where you work though.

The Caly 3 / UKPK is one of the more comfortable knives for me in the smaller size range. Chap has nice ergos too. Fluted CF Native 5 could be a nice choice too.
:unicorn
bobnikon

Post by bobnikon »

Not sure if I want to go without a lock (UKPK), I like the idea of a slip joint, but for some reason (bit by a SAK when young), I still fear them a bit.
bobnikon

Post by bobnikon »

On the bright side, on the store site I mentioned above, not a lot of CRKs in stock. Unfortunately there is a 21 CCG Plated and a 31 Natural Micarta, both large (can't see spending those bucks on something that won't fill my hand...). Gotta stop looking...
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'd go with the Watu. Get some nice wood scales. Distinctive looks, great performance, non-threatening size.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

bobnikon wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 10:09 am
On the bright side, on the store site I mentioned above, not a lot of CRKs in stock. Unfortunately there is a 21 CCG Plated and a 31 Natural Micarta, both large (can't see spending those bucks on something that won't fill my hand...). Gotta stop looking...
Sorry to be an enabler... but this is a good site for them. https://www.knivesshipfree.com/chris-reeve-knives/ ;)

-Rick
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

Spyderco Astute. Carries very slim, while having just a bit more blade than a Delica. Also, it's under $50.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

bobnikon wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:57 am
Some great suggestions. I hadn't considered the ikuchi, but it does look fun. I have the CF Chap in my cart right now, along with the Watu. But need to do some "soul searching" before I pull the trigger on anything. I really wanted a seb or mnandi, but... so much could be got for the price of 1 of those...

I looked at the Chef, and had concerns, but imagine they may have been fixed by now, with the lock bar. Seemed to be lots of issues early on, not sure what the current status is. I really like the idea of a Ti/LCN200 piece.
The Chaparral is amazing. It is only slightly bigger in the pocket than the Dragonfly. However, the blade is nearly as long as the Delica. It is super, super slim and disappears in the pocket or waistband. I have two of these and they are what I carry when I wear a suit.

(this knife is strong, too, even with its thin blade. Someone on here, Bearfacedkiller or someone, remodeled their house with one.)
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Two more thoughts:

I think Birdseye is shipping to dealers.

I own the Fox Livri and it's one of my favorite slipjoints. I have it in Ziricote and I pretty much love it. Can't go wrong with that one, and it's reasonably priced too.