PE Harpy

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
natasnatas666

PE Harpy

Post by natasnatas666 »

Might be kind of a dumb question, but does anyone here possess such an elusive knife?

It may be one of the hardest find, and has captivated my attention more than any other design thus far 💀
Fireman

Re: PE Harpy

Post by Fireman »

A PE Harpy would be sweeet
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I've owned a couple of PE Harpy models in my days. I've also owned a couple of the Merlin models in PE ( an FRN Harpy basically). I'm not any longer much of a fan of PE Hawkbill blades. I've found that full SE Hawkbills have far more uses to them. Now the PE Harpy brand new in the factory box is considered a nice collector piece. Probably even a used PE Harpy might have some collector appeal.

But as far as using Hawkbills I pretty much just stay with the fully serrated models. I'm slowly trading away all the PE Hawkbills I've ever owned.
JMM

Post by JMM »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:15 am
I've owned a couple of PE Harpy models in my days. I've also owned a couple of the Merlin models in PE ( an FRN Harpy basically). I'm not any longer much of a fan of PE Hawkbill blades. I've found that full SE Hawkbills have far more uses to them. Now the PE Harpy brand new in the factory box is considered a nice collector piece. Probably even a used PE Harpy might have some collector appeal.

But as far as using Hawkbills I pretty much just stay with the fully serrated models. I'm slowly trading away all the PE Hawkbills I've ever owned.
I was going to chime in but I've nothing additional to offer beyond what JD just did. Stick with SE, you'll be glad you did. If you're really curious and have the funds to get a PE & SE version than do it and then put them both to task... you'll see... :D ;)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JMM wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:39 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 8:15 am

I was going to chime in but I've nothing additional to offer beyond what JD just did. Stick with SE, you'll be glad you did. If you're really curious and have the funds to get a PE & SE version than do it and then put them both to task... you'll see... :D ;)
And please if you're getting a PE Harpy new in the factory box it would be a great collector piece and really nice piece of trade bait for later down the road for someone who is really into rare Spyders. Because PE Harpy models are tough to find. There was a time that the only way you could get a PE Harpy was to go through Japan's G-Sakai internet site. But I'm not even sure you can get them there anymore. You could try SFO and they might have one in stock. I got a Carbon Fiber Police model from them once when you couldn't find them anywhere.

But once you work with a serrated/Spyderedged Harpy you won't look back from a function standpoint.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Have several...

Original and JDM VG-10 all stainless. The originals are rare, and getting rarer. Their one-piece combo lock spring and backspacer tends to work harden, become brittle and break.

and the carbon fiber Sprint Run version...

Also have the a PE C21 Merlin (bottom knife in the photo below)...

...and PE versions of the yellow and black Tasman Salt...

Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Is a FFG Harpy possible?
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The Deacon wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:56 pm
Have several...

Original and JDM VG-10 all stainless. The originals are rare, and getting rarer. Their one-piece combo lock spring and backspacer tends to work harden, become brittle and break.

and the carbon fiber Sprint Run version...

Also have the a PE C21 Merlin (bottom knife in the photo below)...

...and PE versions of the yellow and black Tasman Salt...

Hey Mr. Paul which blade steel does that Merlin have? The reason I ask because a little while back I snagged a VG-10 Merlin NIB. And those are really tough to find. It was only the second one I've ever seen in VG-10 ever. All the other Merlins I ever had in PE or SE were all ATS-55. And as far as I know most of them out there on the open market were mostly ATS-55. I don't recall one in GIN-1>> or were there Merlins in GIN-1?
Last edited by JD Spydo on Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Fireman wrote:
Tue Jan 26, 2021 10:05 pm
Is a FFG Harpy possible?
That's a good question :) and one I would like an answer to myself. I'm not sure why they've never done one of their Hawkbill blades in full flat grind.

That's actually my goal for a premium grade Hawkbill some day>> I would like to see a FFG Spyderhawk with a G-10 handle in SE & PE. ( Only because there are a few here in this community that will only use PE). Even though I've found Hawkbill blades to be at least 8 to 12 times more useful in SE.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Fireman wrote:
Is a FFG Harpy possible?

I'd say it's probably possible, but it's probably unlikely.

JD Spydo wrote:Hey Mr. Paul which blade steel does that Merlin have? The reason I ask because a little while back I snagged a VG-10 Merlin NIB. And those are really tough to find. It was only the second one I've ever seen in VG-10 ever. All the other Merlins I ever had in PE or SE were all ATS-55. And as far as I know most of them out there on the open market were mostly ATS-55. I don't recall one in GIN-1>> or were there Merlins in GIN-1?

Mine is ATS-55 which, as you said, is the most common steel for them. If there are any in GIN-1, they'd be the older version with the Delica 1 style integral FRN clip handle from the early 90's rather than the "2nd Gen" ones with the Delica 3 barrel bolt metal clip handle. Can't recall ever even seeing on of those, and If any of those still exist they'd either be GIN-1 or AUS-8, as those were Spyderco's go-to steels at that time. However, they may or may not have steel markings, so it might still be hard to know which steel was used.
Paul
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Sounds like I need to dig out my Merlins. I seem to recall having one with a molded clip, but I could be hallucinating.

My PE Harpy is one of the ones with the integral spring, so it doesn't see much use.
Drahkis

Post by Drahkis »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:43 pm
Hey Mr. Paul which blade steel does that Merlin have? The reason I ask because a little while back I snagged a VG-10 Merlin NIB. And those are really tough to find. It was only the second one I've ever seen in VG-10 ever. All the other Merlins I ever had in PE or SE were all ATS-55. And as far as I know most of them out there on the open market were mostly ATS-55. I don't recall one in GIN-1>> or were there Merlins in GIN-1?
Hey JD, I recently got ahold of a merlin, collector club 034, it is the original delica handle and slimmer of the integral clip sizes, it is stamped as G-2 stainless
Skywalker

Post by Skywalker »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:47 pm
Fireman wrote:
Is a FFG Harpy possible?
That's a good question :) and one I would like an answer to myself. I'm not sure why they've never done one of their Hawkbill blades in full flat grind.
The Superhawk was FFG, wasn't it?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The Deacon wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:10 pm
Fireman wrote:
Is a FFG Harpy possible?

I'd say it's probably possible, but it's probably unlikely.

JD Spydo wrote:Hey Mr. Paul which blade steel does that Merlin have? The reason I ask because a little while back I snagged a VG-10 Merlin NIB. And those are really tough to find. It was only the second one I've ever seen in VG-10 ever. All the other Merlins I ever had in PE or SE were all ATS-55. And as far as I know most of them out there on the open market were mostly ATS-55. I don't recall one in GIN-1>> or were there Merlins in GIN-1?

Mine is ATS-55 which, as you said, is the most common steel for them. If there are any in GIN-1, they'd be the older version with the Delica 1 style integral FRN clip handle from the early 90's rather than the "2nd Gen" ones with the Delica 3 barrel bolt metal clip handle. Can't recall ever even seeing on of those, and If any of those still exist they'd either be GIN-1 or AUS-8, as those were Spyderco's go-to steels at that time. However, they may or may not have steel markings, so it might still be hard to know which steel was used.
That's so interesting you would mention AUS-8 because the guy I got my VG-10 Merlin from told me that he saw one in AUS-8 once. I didn't believe him at the time but maybe he's right. Because I think your timeline is correct>> because the Merlin model did come on either right during the AUS-8 era or just a little later. I've only ever talked to two other people beside myself that claim they own a VG-10 Merlin. There's not many of those out there I can assure you.

The same goes with the Peter Herbst model that was launched during the ATS-55 era. They made a few of them in VG-10 too but good luck trying to find one. I would love to make a "user" out of my VG-10 Merlin but my gut tells me not to because I may never see another one. But again I'm starting to wonder if there were any AUS-8 Merlin models?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Drahkis wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:00 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:43 pm
Hey JD, I recently got ahold of a merlin, collector club 034, it is the original delica handle and slimmer of the integral clip sizes, it is stamped as G-2 stainless
Well that settles it>> because G-2 and GIN-1 are the same steel with different names. You just answered my question and I thank you. Also that tells me if they made G-2 Merlin models then they very well could have made some in AUS-8 as well. Because the timeline would be in order for sure.

By chance is your G-2 Merlin still in the factory box? If so what color factory box does it have? I would be most interested to know. I'm now also wondering if when G-Sakai was selling some of those Japan made Spyders on their website if the Merlin might have been one they were selling along with those PE Harpy models they were selling at the time?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:48 pm
The same goes with the Peter Herbst model that was launched during the ATS-55 era. They made a few of them in VG-10 too but good luck trying to find one. I would love to make a "user" out of my VG-10 Merlin but my gut tells me not to because I may never see another one. But again I'm starting to wonder if there were any AUS-8 Merlin models?

Guess I had good luck, JD. My aluminum Herbst is VG-10. :D

Getting back to the Merlin, if Spyderco's price lists from the early 90's are correct, the 1st Generation Merlin was only offered from 93 to 95 which would suggest that some examples may be marked G-2 and others marked GIN-1. The lists also say it came in Spyderedge only.
Paul
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Skywalker wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 8:02 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 3:47 pm
Fireman wrote:
Is a FFG Harpy possible?
The Superhawk was FFG, wasn't it?
Yes. Here is a link to it from Spyderco's online catalog. https://www.spyderco.com/pix/products/med/C116_M.jpg
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The Deacon wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 8:26 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:48 pm

Guess I had good luck, JD. My aluminum Herbst is VG-10. :D

Getting back to the Merlin, if Spyderco's price lists from the early 90's are correct, the 1st Generation Merlin was only offered from 93 to 95 which would suggest that some examples may be marked G-2 and others marked GIN-1. The lists also say it came in Spyderedge only.
The prices lists and catalogs have had their share of errors in the past. For instance I've got two of the older catalogs that list the C-50 Centofante with a 440V blade. I've looked for one of those for 15 years and I've yet to find one. There may be a prototype of one of those around but I don't think there were any production models from what I can tell. There was also one catalog where I seen the C-39 and C-44 Dyad models listed with VG-10 steel. But the only VG-10, C-44 Dyad I ever seen was the Gray Sprint Run C-44 of 2010. It may be a case of the company intending to do it at some point but because of declining sales they may have dropped it all together. Those are just two of a few examples I can remember.

But there are a few of those rare birds that did seem to slip through the cracks and the VG-10 Merlin is certainly proof of that>> as well as your VG-10 Herbst. Yeah I've only ever seen one of those Herbst models in VG-10 and that was at a gun show over 10 years ago. I never really liked the Herbst all that much>> The ones I had were strictly collector pieces>>I even sold both of my Titanium, 440C models that I had. But your VG-10 Herbst probably has good collector value to someone who likes that model.

But apparently this one brother here does have a G-2 Merlin. I'm wondering how many of those they made? probably not many. Dr. Hannibal Lecter ( Kurt) once told me he found a GIN-1 PE Harpy. That's the only one of those I ever heard of. The only PE Harpy models I ever had were ATS-55 and VG-10.
camvdcs

Post by camvdcs »

I have the Harpy serrated which is easy to get. About 5 years ago I picked up a Harpy PE off the Bay. It was only sold retail in Japan. I also have a serrated Merlin in G-2 with a molded clip. I can't remember what color the box was. I think it was either blue or black. It's buried somewhere.
natasnatas666

Post by natasnatas666 »

I know it's been a while, but does anyone have a PE Harpy they're willing to part with? Please let me know, thanks!!!