Stretch in k390

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Matus

Stretch in k390

Post by Matus »

I apologize if I missed the thread where this was discussed, but will also the Stretch be offered in k390? Thanks
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
Wartstein

in k390

Post by Wartstein »

Yes, it will! :)

Don't know if in "regular" or straight spine though.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Buddafucco

Re: Stretch in k390

Post by Buddafucco »

It was mentioned here that it's in the plan... https://forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.ph ... 9&start=20
•• Beau
Haunted House

Post by Haunted House »

Fingers crossed for a straight spine version.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Waiting (im)patiently for this one.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
TenGrainBread

Post by TenGrainBread »

Can someone enlighten me as to why the straight spine is desirable over the original Stretch spine shape? I see everybody gushing over it but I can't think of why it matters.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

TenGrainBread wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:53 am
Can someone enlighten me as to why the straight spine is desirable over the original Stretch spine shape? I see everybody gushing over it but I can't think of why it matters.
Some of us, myself included, prefer the original drop point shape. I think some like the look and some like the utility of a pointier (and proprtionately weaker) tip. I find the drop point to be pointy enough. :cool: :spyder:
Matus

Post by Matus »

Thanks guys! I am one of those that find the straight spine boring though, like a Delica/Endura/Endela clone. But it’s just a matter of taste. And I like the looks of Gayle Bradley and SpyOpera.
... I like weird :bug-red :bug-white-red :bug-white ...
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Haunted House wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:50 am
Fingers crossed for a straight spine version.

+1! Hoping for Straight Spine in K390, as well as the upcoming Straight Spine Stretch XL. Sal hinted that the SSSXL would be released as a production Cruwear knife, which is awesome. So my hope is that a Cruwear version of the SSS is dropped at the same time. Then K390 SSSXL to follow. Then later on base black/VG10 production versions to sell to the masses as lower price point stainless versions.

Here is my guesstimated (wishful thinking) timeline...

Reveal 7 - K390 SSS (production)
Reveal 8 - Cruwear SSSXL and Cruwear SSS (both production)
Reveal 9 - K390 SSSXL (production)
Reveal 10 - VG10 SSSXL and VG10 SSS (both production)

I've really fallen for the SSS and Endela here lately and have been carrying one or the other nearly every day. I just picked up a K390 Endela and can't wait for the K390 and Cruwear versions of these. The SSSXL is going to be epic. :D
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TenGrainBread wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 8:53 am

Well, I prefer the original tip! Still fine enough due to the thin stick stock and pronounced tapering, but more robust than the ss tip.
Plus it gives the Stretch its unique silhouette.

Some obviously like an even pointier tip though and/or prefer the looks of the SS Stretch.

/ One thing that many are not aware of and that I prefer in the straight spine Stretch: It has a bit more cutting edge, since the blade is a tad longer and the blade part of the choil shorter.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
toxophilus

Post by toxophilus »

:spyder: +1 on the drop point original blade profile :spyder:
Thunderpants

Post by Thunderpants »

I don't care which blade shape it gets, I just hope it doesn't maintain the ZDP price strategy of being way more expensive than an Endura - for no discernible reason. FRN plus rip-off pricing ain't my thing.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Thunderpants wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:51 pm

I don't care which blade shape it gets, I just hope it doesn't maintain the ZDP price strategy of being way more expensive than an Endura - for no discernible reason. FRN plus rip-off pricing ain't my thing.

I'm not entirely sure from your post what model/steel you are comparing to what, but I would guess the K390 Drop Point Stretch (if there is one) will come in at $154, which is the same price as the ZDP-189 Drop Point Stretch. I say this because the K390 Endura and ZDP-189 Endura are both $133, so I would expect the price of the Stretch to follow this formula. The Stretch has a smaller premium vs. the Endura in VG-10, but I am guessing that is due to the higher price of ZDP-189 and K390 having a larger effect on the larger blade steel blank of the Stretch (ZDP costs 46% more than VG-10 in the Endura, but 52% more than VG-10 in the Stretch). If for some reason the price of the K390 Stretch followed the same ratio of the VG-10 prices, we could expect the price to be ~$148. I'm going to go with $154 for a K390 Drop Point Stretch though if I have to guess. Following this logic, the VG-10 Straight Spine Stretch has the same MSRP as the VG-10 Drop Point Stretch, so I would expect $154 for a K390 Straight Spine Stretch as well.

:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Donut

Post by Donut »

How much different do we think K390 and ZDP are?

I think I've seen some tests that show them very close and some tests that show them a little different.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
Skinner

Post by Skinner »

I’ve been waiting for the stretch most of all since the announcement of the K390 Seki line. Hopefully a standard stretch. I prefer the stretch 1 but realize that it will almost certainly be a stretch 2. I have used all of the stretches for hunting, and the HAP 40 is my favorite. Can’t wait to try some K390 in a high performance hunting folder
sal

Post by sal »

Thunderpants wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:51 pm

Hi Thunderpants,

Our pricing is based on our costs, which are consistent and generally as low as we can make them and have it work for us financially. ZDP and K390 are more expensive to purchase and more expensive to process so they are more expensive. Also there is much difference, even if you can't see it. I might add that "Rip-off pricing is a tad insulting. :rolleyes:

sal
JonesE

Post by JonesE »

I am greedy, I will take both flavors of stretch, please. Straight Spine and Drop Point.

JonesE
dan31

Post by dan31 »

The Stretch is my favorite. I might grab a ZDP as these are going to be discontinued. K390 in the standard drop point will become a great new addition.
Thunderpants

Post by Thunderpants »

Apologies for my choice of words!
I appreciate that special materials will cost more, and I don't mind paying more for metal that is superior in some way. My remark concerned the price difference between the ZDP Endura and the ZDP Stretch; possibly because the ZDP Endura was such a bargain, the less attractive price of the Stretch always dissuaded me from buying one - over 150 euros one starts to notice all kinds of other lovely offerings from Spyderco and others.
Anyway, I certainly didn't mean to diss your entire pricing policy or to cause any offence!
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

I am soooooo looking forward to the Stretch 2 in K390. It's a really really good steel in a fantastic design. I'll admit that if it's offered in straight spine and the more traditional drop point, I will (irrationally) buy both.