What watch you're wearing?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
standy99

Re: What watch you're wearing?

Post by standy99 »

My wear to beach volleyball Casio G-Shock - canvas strap and metal case (that was my excuse to buy it :winking-tongue)

Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

standy99 wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 11:11 pm
A Seiko modder in Australia made it up for me with a Rolex case, bezel and dial. Being a watch guy it was a poke at the whole Rolex waiting list, limit supply games that are played nowadays.
I appreciate the well deserved poke. I read up on those shenanigans, and aside from prohibitive price, I can’t see me ever playing those games to roll with the “cool kids”. In fact I am highly unlikely to darken the doorway of any Rolex AD on principle, regardless of what else they may sell. Besides, the King Seiko beat the Swiss at their own game, then invented the quartz movement that nearly stuck a fork in mechanical watches forever.

Long live Seiko!
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I love Seiko also. I would have to say it is my favorite watch brand.
max808

Post by max808 »

standy99 wrote:
Cycletroll wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 10:20 am
standy99 wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 7:46 am
!!!???!!!
Seiko Submariner?
What the heck? :winking-tongue

A Seiko modder in Australia made it up for me with a Rolex case, bezel and dial. Being a watch guy it was a poke at the whole Rolex waiting list, limit supply games that are played nowadays.
Gets a few comments on a watch forum and Instagram when I post it :zany :zany

Man that's a beautiful watch and I love the pun! Does it have solar quartz movement?
MNOSD 0047 - mens sana in corpore sano -
Do more than is required of you . Patton
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
standy99

Post by standy99 »

max808 wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 4:32 am
standy99 wrote:
Cycletroll wrote:
standy99 wrote:
Sat Jul 08, 2023 7:46 am
!!!???!!!
Seiko Submariner?

Man that's a beautiful watch and I love the pun! Does it have solar quartz movement?
No it has the mechanical movement… solar needs a special dial, but I would prefer mechanical anyway.
max808

Post by max808 »

Here's how I stick it to the man...
watchboxfull001.jpg
A handmade woodgrain watchbox with Rolex branding and nuthin but Casios in it.
:cheap-sunglasses

Notice both Edifice on either end only lost a second over several months! Casios non-atomic quartz movement is truly impressive. In comparison the GMW-B5000GD has lost about 20 seconds. Still working on my retail therapy, 3 watches sold, 4 more for sale that's how much I like these ProTrek. I'm done, I'm out, but that Seiko huh...
For man's only weapon is courage that flinches not from the gates of **** itself, and against such not even the legions of **** can stand. Robert E. Howard
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

max808 wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 5:10 am

watchboxfull001.jpg

Notice both Edifice on either end only lost a second over several months! Casios non-atomic quartz movement is truly impressive. In comparison the GMW-B5000GD has lost about 20 seconds. Still working on my retail therapy, 3 watches sold, 4 more for sale that's how much I like these ProTrek. I'm done, I'm out, but that Seiko huh...
Max what Casio do you recommend for my next Casio adventure ? Mud Man ?
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
max808

Post by max808 »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 7:09 am
max808 wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 5:10 am

watchboxfull001.jpg

Max what Casio do you recommend for my next Casio adventure ? Mud Man ?
Depends on the occasion Dan, if it's an actual adventure you're going on the GWG-1000/2000 is a sure bet according to many people on account of its bombproof construction and reliability and even then if you're anything like me you're better off with a nice triple sensor ProTrek just because they have an excellent digital screen and dedicated ABC buttons which make the sensors a breeze to use and read. To me mechanical/analog ABC watches seem overly complicated and expensive [Manaslu PRX] also quite unpractical in actual field use. Hope this helps, have a good one Bud!

max
max808

Post by max808 »

This is it, my endless supply of solar powered radio controlled endorphin: PRW-30YT-1JF. Its negative display has amazing clarity and every time I use it or look at it I can't help but grin like a blissful idiot. Funny how material things can have such a beneficial impact on our psyche...
> WPAC membership under advice <
prw30yt1jf002.jpg
max808

Post by max808 »

One thing I've noticed is these STN displays change color on camera depending on the angle and light. This one has a orange red backlight but not sure if that's the reason. Super-Twisted Nematic sure sounds fancy and intriguing...
prw30yt1jf003.jpg
toxophilus

Post by toxophilus »

For the month of July... :usflag

Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I love the new turtle!!
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

It's a fantastic watch.
max808

Post by max808 »

standy99 wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 5:01 am
max808 wrote:
Thu Jul 13, 2023 4:32 am
standy99 wrote:
Cycletroll wrote:

!!!???!!!
Seiko Submariner?

No it has the mechanical movement… solar needs a special dial, but I would prefer mechanical anyway.
It truly is a gorgeous watch Sir, would you entertain an offer on it or is it too special for you?
standy99

Post by standy99 »

max808 wrote:
Wed Jul 19, 2023 8:45 pm

It truly is a gorgeous watch Sir, would you entertain an offer on it or is it too special for you?
PM me I can put you in touch with the maker ;)
Murphy Slaw

Post by Murphy Slaw »

Bertucci.

Rough and tough and nothing silly.

przemekspce

Post by przemekspce »

Still BB36
:bug-red-white Instagram: przemekspce :bug-red
max808

Post by max808 »

standy99 wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 1:32 pm
max808 wrote:

Thank you for the offer Sir. As luck would have it I stumbled onto this local Seiko from Germany, which checks a lot of boxes for me. First Seiko, first automatic, first dive watch, first satin finish watch, first modded watch. So I jumped on it and couldn't be happier. It lost 15 seconds over 24 hours, is this below or above average in your experience?
seikomod001.jpg
And no, I will not be getting another watchbox to fill up with Seikos!
😎
standy99

Post by standy99 »

max808 wrote:
Wed Sep 20, 2023 8:32 am
standy99 wrote:
Thu Jul 20, 2023 1:32 pm
max808 wrote:

Thank you for the offer Sir. As luck would have it I stumbled onto this local Seiko from Germany, which checks a lot of boxes for me. First Seiko, first automatic, first dive watch, first satin finish watch, first modded watch. So I jumped on it and couldn't be happier. It lost 15 seconds over 24 hours, is this below or above average in your experience?

seikomod001.jpg

And no, I will not be getting another watchbox to fill up with Seikos!
😎
15 seconds is about the average for a watch at this price…the more you spend is still not getting as good as a quartz watch…I have Omega watches that are 10x the price that are at the under 5 seconds (like Rolex) but a lot more than a Seiko in the $500 price range… That’s just mechanical watches

Something about a mechanical watch though…all the tiny movement pieces only loosing 15 second when there is 86400 seconds in a day. :winking-tongue

“Seiko makes a few movements for differing price ranges up to the Grand Seiko that is very precise” my one I payed a few $$s more for the better movement but it’s still 5-8 seconds a day”

Even the highly reputable COSC certification is not as good as a Quartz watch that could cost $200
COSC’s job is to measure and certify the accuracy of mechanical watch movements, specifically to guarantee that a watch will run within +6 to -4 seconds per day.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Oddly I have vintage Omega watches that are in the 1-3 seconds a day