"Laser milled Spider" on Watu blades

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
FrenchBlob

"Laser milled Spider" on Watu blades

Post by FrenchBlob »

Hi,
Wanting a slicing machine for my daily apples, I was interested in the Watu, mainly because of the unusual blade shape but also because of the thin grind design. Every box was checked ! Cool !
But no cutlery in the area. As the design is so specific, I decided to wait for a second hand to have it in hand to take my decision.

Today, it happened! I met the seller, handled the knife. Clearly, it was going to be mine. Just something bothered me. On my Chaparral from Taichung factory, a spider is milled on the blade. On this Watu, no spyder milled. Something looking like "printed" on the blade, like on the Pm2 if I remember correctly but nothing looking like a laser milled spider like on my Chaparral. Not sure it makes sense, but English is not my mother language... Sorry for that...

Otherwise everythink seems OK. Nice action, blade centering, fit and finish ...And Never heard of Watu counterfeit on aliexpress. Seller seems reliable. Nice contact but I delayed my purchase to take advice from the community, and the Watu owners. Is a spyder milled on the blade of your Watu?

Just to say, under magnifier this "laser" milled spyder on the blade of my Chaparral is gorgeous, an artwork by itself. Thanks for reading and advices....
araneae

Re: "Laser milled Spider" on Watu blades

Post by araneae »

It's pretty new and I would be shocked if there were counterfeits. Especially if you have a reputable dealer.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Are all the Taichung bug logos the same? I thought they were. Someone with a watu will have to check.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Don't have a Watu, but wonder if the blade steel might have something to do with it since some steels will accept one form of "marking" better than another.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Buy it with confidence. As araneae has said, it's highly doubtful that the Watu's been counterfeited already. I wouldn't think twice about buying one second hand
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

VooDooChild wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:06 am
Are all the Taichung bug logos the same? I thought they were. Someone with a watu will have to check.
They're definitely not engraved the same. There's been a couple threads on the various versions
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
PStone

Post by PStone »

My Watu’s bug is milled. Not as pretty and defined as some of my others. But definitely the “typical” Taichung bug. Best pic I can get somewhat focused:

*edited to change to better photo
FrenchBlob

Post by FrenchBlob »

Thanks for those replies. I also think that Watu is so specific and produced as small batch, that it won't be counterfeited.

Thanks all for taking time to answer and thx for picture Pstone. Definitely the fact that your bug seems to be not as defined as others, tends to confirm my impression and reassure me.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi FrenchBlob,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

FrenchBlob wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:33 am
Thanks for those replies. I also think that Watu is so specific and produced as small batch, that it won't be counterfeited.

Thanks all for taking time to answer and thx for picture Pstone. Definitely the fact that your bug seems to be not as defined as others, tends to confirm my impression and reassure me.
I recall my Watu Spider being slightly different from others too. I think yours is fine.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
FrenchBlob

Post by FrenchBlob »

Thx Michael. Another argument in the same way... It gonna be mine, I think :)

Hi Sal ... Thanks for maintaining our passion alive ... and emptying our wallet :/
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:17 am
VooDooChild wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:06 am
They're definitely not engraved the same. There's been a couple threads on the various versions
I know the engraving is different from different factories. I was asking if all the Taichung engraving was the same process. From what I have seen it is.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
FrenchBlob

Post by FrenchBlob »

Hi there,
the end of the story .. I came back to my seller and the Watu had gone. I must have been too cautious. It happens :rolleyes:
No problem. Let's check now the dealers here in France :spyder:

Thanks for help ,

FB