C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vnvman

Re: C-60 Ayoob Campaign: No I Won't Shut Up

Post by vnvman »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:48 am
Fharing45 wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 6:50 pm
The largest decision is which to carry in the woods. PE has the advantage skinning, and cleaner cuts. SE is a beast, it makes short work of cartilage, and tendons, and does fair skinning. Both are perfection.
Your regimen is similar to mine. Two of my favorite Spyderco blades to take on a hunting or fishing trip are my two TEMPERANCE 1 models ( SE & PE). Because Spyderedged blades along with plain edged blades both work in tandem for a complete field dressing and processing.

I'm seriously considering replacing my fixed blade TEMP 1 blades with my two C-60 Cruwear Ayoob blades for my outdoor ventures. Just another reason to lobby for more C-60 Ayoob folders to be available soon.
Agree. Salt version in LC200n or Magnacut would be GOAT.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

vnvman wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:46 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 5:48 am
Fharing45 wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2023 6:50 pm
The largest decision is which to carry in the woods. PE has the advantage skinning, and cleaner cuts. SE is a beast, it makes short work of cartilage, and tendons, and does fair skinning. Both are perfection.
Your regimen is similar to mine. Two of my favorite Spyderco blades to take on a hunting or fishing trip are my two TEMPERANCE 1 models ( SE & PE). Because Spyderedged blades along with plain edged blades both work in tandem for a complete field dressing and processing.

I'm seriously considering replacing my fixed blade TEMP 1 blades with my two C-60 Cruwear Ayoob blades for my outdoor ventures. Just another reason to lobby for more C-60 Ayoob folders to be available soon.
Agree. Salt version in LC200n or Magnacut would be GOAT.
There has been a sizable group of C-60 Ayoob fans who have been requesting a SALT version of this superb model for years now. I myself would also like to see an LC200N version of the C-60 at some point. It's been said on a few occasions that the C-60 does a decent job of filleting fish as well as other hunting a fishing jobs.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 5:11 am
There has been a sizable group of C-60 Ayoob fans who have been requesting a SALT version of this superb model for years now. I myself would also like to see an LC200N version of the C-60 at some point. It's been said on a few occasions that the C-60 does a decent job of filleting fish as well as other hunting a fishing jobs.
Would returning to a hollow grind help with filleting and hunting tasks?
vnvman

Post by vnvman »

p_atrick wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:24 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Personally I'm a big fan of hollow grinds for folders, I think almost every folder should have it. Yeah it's not suited to heavy use but imho a heavy use folder is a contradiction in terms, there are fixed blades for that. A folder should cut like a surgical laser.

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

p_atrick wrote:
Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:24 am
JD Spydo wrote:
That's an interesting question>> and yes it might just be helpful the more I think about it. Because my older AUS-8, full SE Catcherman has that type of grind and it works great.

If they were to ever do a SALT version of the C-60 that would be an excellent consideration.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Polecat wrote:
Sat Oct 21, 2023 8:08 pm
Can we have a lightweight version and wire clip🙂
OK you are not the only one who has suggested a lightweight version of the C-60 Ayoob model. So what did you have in mind as far as handle material?

I would be open to any ideas for a lightweight model but I just can't even imagine a C-60 model in FRN. With Titanium being a relatively lightweight metal I could maybe go that route. In the past I've always been fond of several of Spyderco's Titanium handled units.
defenestrate

Post by defenestrate »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 4:46 am
Polecat wrote:
I would be open to any ideas for a lightweight model but I just can't even imagine a C-60 model in FRN. With Titanium being a relatively lightweight metal I could maybe go that route. In the past I've always been fond of several of Spyderco's Titanium handled units.
I'd like to see a lighter frame as well, be it slightly thinner well skeletonized steel or titanium, but using TeroTuf or Micarta for grip and toughness, bolted onto that frame would be nice IMO.
Drubieg

Post by Drubieg »

I’ve got an old school vg10 PE model coming in the mail right now. Excited to test the model. Models rather than steels are what excite me these days, so I’ve been acquiring some older spydercos
Stas

Post by Stas »

defenestrate wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:11 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Polecat wrote:
I'd like to see a lighter frame as well, be it slightly thinner well skeletonized steel or titanium, but using TeroTuf or Micarta for grip and toughness, bolted onto that frame would be nice IMO.
Starting dreaming...
Recent favourites: Massad Ayoob CPM CRU-WEAR PE & SE, Yojimbo 2, Lil' Temperance 3.
resonanzmacher

Post by resonanzmacher »

JD Spydo wrote:

I would be open to any ideas for a lightweight model but I just can't even imagine a C-60 model in FRN.
Well, that'd be a Salt C-60, wouldn't it?

Wasn't a fan of FRN at first but it's made me a believer. I'd buy a FRN Ayoob. MB two ;)
Stas

Post by Stas »

resonanzmacher wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:30 am
JD Spydo wrote:

I would be open to any ideas for a lightweight model but I just can't even imagine a C-60 model in FRN.

Wasn't a fan of FRN at first but it's made me a believer. I'd buy a FRN Ayoob. MB two ;)
G10 is not less salt than FRN ;)
Recent favourites: Massad Ayoob CPM CRU-WEAR PE & SE, Yojimbo 2, Lil' Temperance 3.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Stas wrote:
Tue Dec 12, 2023 3:03 am
resonanzmacher wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:

G10 is not less salt than FRN ;)
With my long time love of G-10 handles for most of my "user" blades I have to 100% agree with you. For a long time I've lobbied for a G-10 handled Spyderhawk and for a few other models that were only available in FRN.

If they ever did a SALT version of the C-60 Ayoob I would actually prefer a G-10 handle over one made with FRN. I personally like the grip factor of G-10 more than I do FRN.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

defenestrate wrote:
Sat Dec 09, 2023 10:11 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Polecat wrote:
I'm just a bit confused by your suggestion. All of my past VG-10 and current Cruwear C-60 Ayoob models are at an ideal weight for everything I've ever used them for. But I'm sure there are going to be people that have varied desires concerning weight and other features. For all intent and purposes I think that the 2011 model with G-10 scales and the Cruwear model with G-10 handle material are both nice to use IMO.

Now I certainly wouldn't be opposed to a Micarta version of the C-60 at some point. I'm all ears as to which modifications would make the C-60 Ayoob more ideal?
Stas

Post by Stas »

For a made-in-Japan model, the most realistic upgrade would be swapping out the blade and liners for LC200n. However, taking it to the next level would be a full G10 or carbon construction, similar to the Siren and Magnacut blade.

And seriously, I can't even fathom a C-60 Ayoob in FRN—I just don't want to go there! ;)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Stas wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2023 11:14 am
For a made-in-Japan model, the most realistic upgrade would be swapping out the blade and liners for LC200n. However, taking it to the next level would be a full G10 or carbon construction, similar to the Siren and Magnacut blade.

And seriously, I can't even fathom a C-60 Ayoob in FRN—I just don't want to go there! ;)
Yeah I'm with you on that one to be sure. It would be like one of the British Royals wearing a cheap watch IMO. Not that there is anything wrong with FRN per se but the caliber of folder the C-60 has been it would sure be taking a big step backwards IMO.

For quite some time I've been lobbying to get some of the more popular FRN Spyderco models done with G-10 handles instead. The Spyderhawk being a huge example. But again I do like DEF's idea of a C-60 in MIcarta. Also the idea of a C-60 Ayoob in a Titanium handle is nice to dream about as well.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

resonanzmacher wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:

I find it quite interesting that the talk for a SALT version of the C-60 continues to come up from time to time. Because the very first time I heard of it being mentioned was probably all the way back to around 2008-09 era. And there have been a few times it's come up for discussion since then.

I would be all for a C-60 Ayoob SALT version under two conditions>> first off they make it in SE & PE both, Second they use one of the corrosion proof blade steels as well.

But I also have two other models that I would dearly love to see a SALT version of as well. And YES!! I do believe that a SALT version of the C-60 Ayoob would be extremely useful for the intended purposes.
Stas

Post by Stas »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Dec 16, 2023 6:32 pm
resonanzmacher wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:

I find it quite interesting that the talk for a SALT version of the C-60 continues to come up from time to time. Because the very first time I heard of it being mentioned was probably all the way back to around 2008-09 era. And there have been a few times it's come up for discussion since then.

I would be all for a C-60 Ayoob SALT version under two conditions>> first off they make it in SE & PE both, Second they use one of the corrosion proof blade steels as well.

But I also have two other models that I would dearly love to see a SALT version of as well. And YES!! I do believe that a SALT version of the C-60 Ayoob would be extremely useful for the intended purposes.
Matriarch and… ? :winking-tongue
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Stas wrote:
Sun Dec 17, 2023 8:19 am
JD Spydo wrote:
resonanzmacher wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:

Oh yes I've also been a fan of the MATRIARCH for many years now. So what did you have in mind? I guess it's fair to say that both blades were originally designed as "self defense" blades. But other than that I'm not seeing a great deal of similarities between the MATRIARCH and C-60 Ayoob model. But I'm interested to hear what you have in mind.
Stas

Post by Stas »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:10 am
Stas wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:
resonanzmacher wrote:

Oh yes I've also been a fan of the MATRIARCH for many years now. So what did you have in mind? I guess it's fair to say that both blades were originally designed as "self defense" blades. But other than that I'm not seeing a great deal of similarities between the MATRIARCH and C-60 Ayoob model. But I'm interested to hear what you have in mind.
I was curious about the two models, aside from Ayoob, that you'd want to see in a Salt version. Based on your posts, I'm guessing one of them might be Matriarch. (The one I also like an lot) Apologies if my message wasn't clear.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Stas wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:29 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Dec 18, 2023 6:10 am
Stas wrote:
JD Spydo wrote:

I was curious about the two models, aside from Ayoob, that you'd want to see in a Salt version. Based on your posts, I'm guessing one of them might be Matriarch. (The one I also like an lot) Apologies if my message wasn't clear.
No problem at all. And no I would not be opposed to a SALT version of the Matriarch. And both the Ayoob and Matriarch were originally designed as self defense folders from all that I was told.

One big difference I personally have with the Matriarch model comparing it to the C-60 Ayoob is that the Matriarch doesn't really perform all that well in the plain edged variant. OH it is a mega-beast in SE however. Whereas the C-60 Ayoob is great in both edge types. And it's popularity has soared in the serrated version. Albeit I will concede that both models would do quite well in a SALT version>> I'm quite sure of it actually.