The Final (probably) Three, Revised

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kennethsime

Re: The Final (probably) Three, Revised

Post by kennethsime »

Good question. I feel like this is particularly challenging because I largely have knives for the same use, which is just EDC stuff. I mostly like 3-3.5" blades, and choose between knives mostly if I want a smaller/lighter weight carry for the day.

If I had to pick just 3 models from my collection though, it'd be:
  • PM2, particularly the K390 version.. Does pretty much everything I could ever ask of a pocket knife.
  • Stretch 2 Straight Spine, because sometimes I want a lighter-weight PM2.
  • Para 3 LW, because sometimes I want a smaller & lighter-weight PM2.
Did I mention that I like the PM2?
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

kennethsime wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:38 pm
Good question. I feel like this is particularly challenging because I largely have knives for the same use, which is just EDC stuff. I mostly like 3-3.5" blades, and choose between knives mostly if I want a smaller/lighter weight carry for the day.

If I had to pick just 3 models from my collection though, it'd be:
  • PM2, particularly the K390 version.. Does pretty much everything I could ever ask of a pocket knife.
  • Stretch 2 Straight Spine, because sometimes I want a lighter-weight PM2.
  • Para 3 LW, because sometimes I want a smaller & lighter-weight PM2.
Did I mention that I like the PM2?

Well explained! :)

What would you say will happen to your list when they´ll finally make a PM2 LW? Will it kick the SS Stretch out of number 2?
PM2 LW and SS Stretch will maybe have a similar weight and certainly very similar size, but still be quite different (lock, blade stock thickness, "edge profile" (continous belly vs very long straight section plus a lot of belly towards the tip) ?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
acer

Post by acer »

Military
Para military 2 / STRETCH 2 / MANIX 2
Para3
PROBABLY 🕸
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Dragonfly 2 Wharnie
Centofante 3
Mantra 2
Cowboyfromhell

Post by Cowboyfromhell »

Manix 2
Native 5
Dfly salt serrated
Red

Post by Red »

This is a great thread, very cool to see what everyone likes. 👍
I don’t trust people who don’t like dogs.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I just love the varied responses to this thread. I thought about going back and toting up the number of votes for each type of knife but nah, not gonna do it.

So, I’m thinking that I will move my Shempp Bowie to a full blown collector knife because of his special meaning to me and not carry it as a user. Of course that could change in the future but right now that’s what I intend.

So a space has opened up between the Para 3 and the Military. I am thinking seriously about a Mannix 2 lightweight blue because I don’t have one, I love the see-through color, I also like BD1N, and the ball bearing lock. I also suspect that the ergonomics, in so far as ergonomics can be applied to a slab sided knife, are pretty **** good. A big lightweight 3 ounce sharp folding user knife is not a bad thing.

Any advice or criticism are welcome.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Perrin PPT
Lil Native
Squarehead
- Nick :bug-red
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

MichaelScott wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 8:58 am
I just love the varied responses to this thread. I thought about going back and toting up the number of votes for each type of knife but nah, not gonna do it.

So, I’m thinking that I will move my Shempp Bowie to a full blown collector knife because of his special meaning to me and not carry it as a user. Of course that could change in the future but right now that’s what I intend.

So a space has opened up between the Para 3 and the Military. I am thinking seriously about a Mannix 2 lightweight blue because I don’t have one, I love the see-through color, I also like BD1N, and the ball bearing lock. I also suspect that the ergonomics, in so far as ergonomics can be applied to a slab sided knife, are pretty **** good. A big lightweight 3 ounce sharp folding user knife is not a bad thing.

I like seeing how tastes change among members. I remember not long ago you were strictly into smaller knives (Chap, Dragonfly, OEJ, etc) Now you have the pocket sword and debating the "pocket hog" Manix2 :p
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

MichaelScott wrote:

My only comment is that if you like the Para 3 and the Military, and you haven't tried a PM2 yet, that would be my big recommendation. The Manix has good ergonomics for most hands, but they are a bit different from the Military family. If you want to try something different, get the Manix. If you want something you're guaranteed to love, try the PM2.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:03 pm
Well explained! :)

What would you say will happen to your list when they´ll finally make a PM2 LW? Will it kick the SS Stretch out of number 2?
PM2 LW and SS Stretch will maybe have a similar weight and certainly very similar size, but still be quite different (lock, blade stock thickness, "edge profile" (continous belly vs very long straight section plus a lot of belly towards the tip) ?
Difficult to say until I get my hands on one, honestly; I think I may like the Stretch better in terms of handle shape, but the compression lock is still my favorite lock. Tough call.

JMM

Post by JMM »

Hmmmm that's a really tough one, I'd have to say...

1. Rex45 Shaman (TreeRex) or S90V / CF Shaman
2. 4V Manix2 (Fradon) or Police4 G10 / K390
3. Lil' Matriarch - SE or Stretch(1) VG-10 - SE

Cheers,

John
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:20 am
MichaelScott wrote:

I like seeing how tastes change among members. I remember not long ago you were strictly into smaller knives (Chap, Dragonfly, OEJ, etc) Now you have the pocket sword and debating the "pocket hog" Manix2 :p
I know isn’t it great? I guess my taste and appreciation for smaller knives has settled onto my Great Eastern Cutlery slip joints which I have too many of but plan to reduce to three within the next couple of weeks. So, I can carry a honking big Spyderco along with a diminutive but beautiful traditional small slip joint. Life as they say is good.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

Team Innovation
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

kennethsime wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:30 am
MichaelScott wrote:

My only comment is that if you like the Para 3 and the Military, and you haven't tried a PM2 yet, that would be my big recommendation. The Manix has good ergonomics for most hands, but they are a bit different from the Military family. If you want to try something different, get the Manix. If you want something you're guaranteed to love, try the PM2.
I have had a Para Military 2 and liked it. For my purposes (and likes) the Para 3 is a “better” knife and since I wanted both a larger knife in the same family it made sense to me to go with the Military.

I don’t want the same knife only middle size.

From a practical and technological perspective I think the Manix 2 LW is a winner. I will see after I put some miles on it.

Team Innovation
wridziwn

Post by wridziwn »

• Manix 2 S30V plain edge
• Manix 2 S30V partial serrated
• Manix 2 LW BD1N plain edge (probably replaced by SPY27 upon release)
-----------------
update 12/23/20: i'm over Manix 2's now :) , the g-10 ones I hate because if you take it apart, the lock never goes back to normal and has a click/stick... the LW ones don't have that problem since you can't take them apart, but I'm still over them just due to awkward positioning with the blade pointing down and far out due to the choil, and the "pinch" part between index finger and thumb is too wide.... I'm also over plain edge since I seem to always want a serrated one unless it's boxes (a box cutter/utility knife), food (a kitchen knife), or scissors

anyway, my new "three" would be a serrated Delica and a serrated dlc Para 3 LW... don't even need a third at the moment, so just make it a black partial serrated delica i guess, or the serrated Rock Jumper is pretty good... or a plain edge delica just so i have a thin plain edge if needed
Last edited by wridziwn on Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

joeyviner wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:28 pm
Why would you replace BD1N with SPY27?

Team Innovation
wridziwn

Post by wridziwn »

MichaelScott wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:45 pm
joeyviner wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:28 pm
Why would you replace BD1N with SPY27?
Seems like it'll be "better" in the sense of edge holding. Also might be satin finish rather than the blasted/muted look of the stock BD1N/S30V which would be prettier imo. The Para 3 was satin, so I'm assuming this one will be too, we see.

For steels, I prefer stainless and easy to sharpen, hence why I didn't pick the S90V, S110V, tool steels etc. SPY27 seems like it'll be stainless and easy to sharpen but harder than BD1N.
Albertaboyscott

Post by Albertaboyscott »

Manix2 rex45- when I die, one of these may go with me. Love it. Rex is great stuff. Maybe the best I've used.
Endura zdp- like the blade length for cutting rags etc up at work, and am a zdp fan overall.
Pm2 s30v serrated- had to put this one in. I have a few other pm2s but the "pocket chainsaw" comes out for the toughest jobs. Great knife.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Thanks. Just curious. I know diddly about SPY27 but I have my doubts that, practically speaking it would be detectably better than S30V or BD1N. Or XHP for that matter.

Team Innovation
qwkzotc

Post by qwkzotc »

I think I would be pretty consistent with what I generally carry anyway,

- Always a Millie: Last year replaced the M390 that I carried for years with the Green CTS-204P, but if it were to be my last I would blade swap a S110V into the Green.
- I can't part with my Manix 2 LW Maxamet, use it constantly.
- And for balance there is the simply marvelous McBee.