Favorite straight-edge blade design?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Which design do you like the most

Wharncliffe (rounded spine)
41%
Sheepsfoot (like byrd rescue 2)
38%
Reverse Tanto (like Yojimbo 2)
21%

Total votes: 29

Pelagic

Favorite straight-edge blade design?

Post by Pelagic »

I'm a big fan of how reverse tanto's look, and I'd love to see more reverse tanto spyderco's. They just look mean and ready for work. Just wondering which straight-edge design the community likes.

All 3 are great for utility. Depending on the specifics of the grind, the sheepsfoot should have the strongest tip, followed by the reverse tanto. The wharncliffe should have the best penetrating power, followed by the reverse tanto. The Yojimbo 2's spine however is angled in such a way that it actually looks like it would have more penetrating power and a slightly weaker tip than your typical wharncliffe. Reverse tanto's may be slightly less comfortable for reaching in your pocket due to the angled spine as well.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
vivi

Re: Favorite straight-edge blade design?

Post by vivi »

Whatevers pointiest. I really don't like the sheepsfoot style with the "my first pocket knife" rounded tips. The ronin / yojimbo has a nice tip.
:unicorn
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I like something in the middle, kind of a sheepscliffe. I like that most sheepsfoot have a little bit of belly but also a low point, but I like to grind them down to a sharper tip.

This'll do.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
SalomonA

Post by SalomonA »

I personally prefer the reverse tanto style of wharncliffe, but I really like all the wharncliffe knife styles. I feel like spderco hasn't made very many, if any, really nice edc wharncliffes that use the compression lock other than maybe the smock. I would love for spyderco to make a compression lock spydie that feature a completely flat reverse tanto blade(almost like Evil D's modded knife shown above), a nice ergonomic handle, and a blade that isnt more than 3mm thick. I have the yojimbo 2, but it doesn't quite do it for me simply because the blade is so thick and the blade itself is very wide(although i do understand that this blade was made for Self-defence purposes more than being an everyday EDC).
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Reverse tanto usually have slight to more significant belly. I love a good wharncliffe, especially on a thin blade knife. Vivi has said it before and I agree with him: the wharncliffe is the best blade for a small knife.

I do like a sheepsfoot too. I keep going back to ogling the sheepsfoot Enuff. If they made it with something other than frn, I'd buy one.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

The Yojimbo 2 is a wharncliffe, tantos have a belly.
I prefer a Wharncliffe.

Edit: Booker beat me to it. :P
Last edited by Sumdumguy on Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Oops
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Well I guess I'm kind of an "odd duck" because I actually like Spyderco's Sheepsfoot models. I've owned and used quite a few of them over the years and even though they might not be beauty contest winners they will win "function" awards all day long.

For almost two years now I've been using my Stainless handled RESCUE model ( ATS-55 era) full SE for my main companion folder. And when you team that model up with my M390 Millie it's a tag team that just can't hardly be beat>> at least on an all out function basis anyway.

Oh now I would like another original design RONIN in a supersteel>> but for the same reasons I like the Stainless RESCUE model. But most all of Spyderco's models ( even the pretty ones) are superb in the function category.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

The Delica wharnie has just the right balance to me.
- best wishes, Jazz.