I gave my best knives away. Now what?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
VG10

I gave my best knives away. Now what?

Post by VG10 »

My brother has had a rough life. He struggled in his teens, dropped out of highschool, had a hard time relating to pretty much anyone. Now he's got a driver's license, finished his GED, and is going to school for software development at a tech school. One thing we have in common is knife collecting. He has a PM2 that he bought and carries everywhere. Recently, I gave him my Native 5 lw. Later, I felt he'd appreciate my Cru-Wear Para 3.

I personally EDC a serrated Ladybug for the last 5 years. I usually bring a larger one like the Native 5 or the Para 3.

Maybe there's a sprint run that would be good for EDC. I haven't been keeping track. I could get another Native 5 LW, I could finally get a PM2. I could even go with a Delica. I guess the bottom line is this: what's out there for sprint runs that would make a good mid size EDC?
steelcity16

Re: I gave my best knives away. Now what?

Post by steelcity16 »

I would get the new Native Salt or track down an M4 Linerless G10 Native on eBay. Bladeheadquarters ran those as an exclusive earlier in the year. Or maybe the soon to be released Para 3 Lightweight in BDN1?
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

As I'm fond of saying, you can't do much better than the Fluted Carbon Fiber Native 5 with S90V. Best knife spyderco makes, and it's not even a sprint.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

i vote for a para 3 m390 bento box sprint from the bay. just a question. why does it have to be a sprint.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
VG10

Post by VG10 »

Doesn't have to be a Sprint. I just liked my Cru-Wear Para 3.
VG10

Post by VG10 »

rabbitanarchy14 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:22 pm
i vote for a para 3 m390 bento box sprint from the bay. just a question. why does it have to be a sprint.
I'm interested in that.
VG10

Post by VG10 »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:40 pm
I would get the new Native Salt or track down an M4 Linerless G10 Native on eBay. Bladeheadquarters ran those as an exclusive earlier in the year. Or maybe the soon to be released Para 3 Lightweight in BDN1?
Never had H1 before.
loamy47

Post by loamy47 »

VG10 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:47 pm
steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:40 pm
Never had H1 before.
The Native Salt is in LC200N I believe.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Maybe too large for your preferences (though smaller than a PM2 when closed while having even a tad more blade), and the burnt orange scales are not for everyone, but still I'd suggest: Stretch 1 in HAP40 steel. Imho probably the best all around EDC folder to be found.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
bigboned

Post by bigboned »

VG10 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 10:46 pm
why not look for another - nothing shabby about one of those!
Andy
Necker - Ladybug Hawkbill Salt
Mon-Fri - Delica4 in Cruwear
Sat-Sun - Para3 in Cruwear

Urban K390 (2.61"), Bow River (for slicing jerky)

Want to try- PM2 CF M4 OR Cruwear , GB2, Bradley Bowie
Gone - Delica ZDP189, PM2 Cruwear, Para3 LW BD1N, Para3 S30V, Junction, Ti UKPK
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

If you're open to the Manix 2, there will be a run of M390 in brown G10 soon and Cutlery Shoppe will be doing a run of DLC S90V LW Orange beauties. A Para 3 in Rex 45 or M390(since the 204P was going for $500 on Ebay!) would be good choices, but if you're patient, there will be some new runs coming soon, that wont require you to pay secondary market prices. We're due for some Para 3 and Native 5 exclusives.
ferider

Post by ferider »

A CW or 4V Manix 2 from ebay (depending on the grind you prefer). Why mess around with even smaller knives ? :)
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

VG10 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 9:35 pm
My brother has had a rough life. He struggled in his teens, dropped out of highschool, had a hard time relating to pretty much anyone. Now he's got a driver's license, finished his GED, and is going to school for software development at a tech school. One thing we have in common is knife collecting. He has a PM2 that he bought and carries everywhere. Recently, I gave him my Native 5 lw. Later, I felt he'd appreciate my Cru-Wear Para 3.

I personally EDC a serrated Ladybug for the last 5 years. I usually bring a larger one like the Native 5 or the Para 3.

Maybe there's a sprint run that would be good for EDC. I haven't been keeping track. I could get another Native 5 LW, I could finally get a PM2. I could even go with a Delica. I guess the bottom line is this: what's out there for sprint runs that would make a good mid size EDC?
The answer is Caribbean.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:07 am
VG10 wrote:

The answer is Caribbean.
Maybe... but the OPs personal understanding of "midsize" seems to be more in the Native categorie (for me that´s "small", for some others the Native is already "large", to each their own of course)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

VG10 wrote:
Nice guy that I am, I just heard where there's going to be some Rex 45, M390, and 204P para3's next week. I'll send you a PM.

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:37 pm
VG10 wrote:
Nice guy that I am, I just heard where there's going to be some Rex 45, M390, and 204P para3's next week. I'll send you a PM.
Well if you hear about some Cruwear contact me 😁
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:51 am
Sumdumguy wrote:
VG10 wrote:

The answer is Caribbean.
Maybe... but the OPs personal understanding of "midsize" seems to be more in the Native categorie (for me that´s "small", for some others the Native is already "large", to each their own of course)
He was also looking at PM2s, which are the same size as the Caribbean(just not as good :P)
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
VG10

Post by VG10 »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:59 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:51 am
Sumdumguy wrote:
VG10 wrote:

The answer is Caribbean.
He was also looking at PM2s, which are the same size as the Caribbean(just not as good :P)
hmm....HMMMMMMM...Carribean....
VG10

Post by VG10 »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:37 pm
VG10 wrote:
you are a nice guy! :)
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

👍no problem