Ikuchi with titanium scales and CTS-XHP?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Catamount123

Ikuchi with titanium scales and CTS-XHP?

Post by Catamount123 »

The Ikuchi looks like it’s going to do very well, and I've been daydreaming about the next version. I seem to remember Paul Alexander saying somewhere that he originally wanted to do it with titanium scales? I’m not a big fan of Ti, in general, but I think it would work very well in this case. Maybe with some sort of cool texturing? CTS-XHP is my steel of choice (No S90V, PLEASE!!). What do you think?
I don't get people who only carry one knife :thinking ;)
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Re: Ikuchi with titanium scales and CTS-XHP?

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

I am with you fully on the CTS-XHP it should have been that to begin with! Great knife deserves this great steel.

TI = No thanks.

I would also like this in CPM Cruwear and M4
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Cruwear and stag
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

The only reason I'd go for titanium is so I could have it aftermarket anodized. I know some people doing some killer work. CTS-XHP? Meh. Not a bad steel, but doesn't give me the warm fuzzies either. I'd rather see S90V, K390, 10V, or LC200N.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Such a thin knife with a thin blade, do you guys that have one and have used it so far think it would benefit from a super steel? Or more so the "cool" factor to say it has such and such steel?
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Both,

S30V does not get as sharp or hold a truly sharp blade compared to M4 and CTS-XHP.

S30V is a nice steel.

Going to the safety deposit box to unsafe queen my Cruwear
Military and see what it is all about.

I cut some paper when it first came in and could not believe how sharp it was.
Spydersense

Post by Spydersense »

I'd love one in LC200N
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

As long as the Ti is a 1:1 replacement for the existing scales and not an integral comp lock. I can't trust Ti-Steel lock interfaces anymore.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

It deserves wooden scales. I am quite indifferent as to what steel. It could be VG10 as far as i am concerned.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
youmakemehole

Post by youmakemehole »

+1 for XHP
"Sometimes I think that we're all little kids trying to act like grown ups, in our parents clothes. ;) "

-sal
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:33 am
It deserves wooden scales. I am quite indifferent as to what steel. It could be VG10 as far as i am concerned.
Now that's an interesting idea. There aren't many Spyderco knives with wooden scales. I remember Sal chimed in about the difficulty in using wood (not Pakkawood); I think he said something about the wood warping, drying out, etc. I know Pakkawood isn't as nice as say desert ironwood or curly birch, but those Knife Center exclusives do look nice.
carrot

Post by carrot »

curlyhairedboy wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:49 am
I can't trust Ti-Steel lock interfaces anymore.
Why?
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

p_atrick wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:22 am
Larry_Mott wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:33 am
Now that's an interesting idea. There aren't many Spyderco knives with wooden scales. I remember Sal chimed in about the difficulty in using wood (not Pakkawood); I think he said something about the wood warping, drying out, etc. I know Pakkawood isn't as nice as say desert ironwood or curly birch, but those Knife Center exclusives do look nice.
Pakkawood would be nice! Although as you say, ironwood curly birch/maple or snakewood would be the bee's knees!
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

Doing precision routing in tiny little slabs of wood that haven't been stabilized with resin—and then getting them screwed together before they had a chance to warp—would be a nightmare for a production knifemaker.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

dj moonbat wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:08 pm
Doing precision routing in tiny little slabs of wood that haven't been stabilized with resin—and then getting them screwed together before they had a chance to warp—would be a nightmare for a production knifemaker.
Does the Ikuchi have nested/countersunk liners? Now *that* would be a nightmare..
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Not interested in titanium scales. XHP or S30V is just fine with me.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:27 pm
dj moonbat wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:08 pm
Does the Ikuchi have nested/countersunk liners? Now *that* would be a nightmare..
No they are not nested
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:35 pm
Such a thin knife with a thin blade, do you guys that have one and have used it so far think it would benefit from a super steel? Or more so the "cool" factor to say it has such and such steel?
Super thin geometry is where a super steel can actually make a huge difference in performance. The thicker the geometry the less the steel choice matters.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:32 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Super thin geometry is where a super steel can actually make a huge difference in performance. The thicker the geometry the less the steel choice matters.
Most of the so-called "super" steels have big Vanadium carbides in them that will cause problems in very acute edge geometries.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

dj moonbat wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 6:01 pm
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:32 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:

Most of the so-called "super" steels have big Vanadium carbides in them that will cause problems in very acute edge geometries.
Agreed. That is why I prefer VG10, CTS-XHP, M4, LC200N & Cruwear is crazy awesome in my recent usage of it.