Caly 3.5 Damascus possible?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MrSuperBlue

Caly 3.5 Damascus possible?

Post by MrSuperBlue »

Hi All! :)
I was just wondering how many others would be in for a Caly 3.5 Damascus?
I understand it probably hasn't been done due to material cost and various other reasons but I would love one. I favor the Caly 3.5 slightly more than the Caly 3. I would be willing to pay a premium if they made them to make it worthwhile for Spyderco. I love both my Caly 3 Damascus and they are absolutely amazing/smooth (have every Caly 3/3.5). Anyway I'm somehow holding out hope that this may turn in to something that gets noticed so Spyderco could possibly ponder the idea. Thanks for entertaining me! :spyder:

Best

MrSuperBlue
How about a Caly 3.5 damascus?!

So what's the next Super Blue model coming? ;)
RadioactiveSpyder

Re: Caly 3.5 Damascus possible?

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

This version has been requested for years on this forum and in person, with no luck. I’m sure this isn’t the first time this thread has appeared.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I'm down for any backlock or comp lock in damasteel.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

It would not be a Damasteel blade if it’s to be a true 3.5 inch version of the original. The original is VG-10-based Damascus.
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
jdw

Post by jdw »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:16 am
It would not be a Damasteel blade if it’s to be a true 3.5 inch version of the original. The original is VG-10-based Damascus.
Do you know if it was truly layered or the kind of wrap around Damascus that Spyderco uses now??
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I want a 3.5 SS/CF/Damascus to match my 3.

Same goes for the green g10 and HAP40.

I also want both of these configurations in the C54 Calypso.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

jdw wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:26 am
RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:16 am
Do you know if it was truly layered or the kind of wrap around Damascus that Spyderco uses now??
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "truly layered" vs. "wrap around," but will give it my best guess. D.P.S. 15 is the type used on the Caly 3/Endura/Delica, which is 15 layers, a VG-10 core, then 15 more layers on the other side. I suppose you could say the Damascus "wraps around" the core cutting steel. The Damasteel Damascus they use on the 40th Anniversary Native is layered all the way through, with the Damascus also comprising the cutting edge.

But in either case, the Damascus is true layers, and not just a fake screen printing on the surface, if that was your concern. RadioactiveSpyder was just pointing out that it wouldn't use Damasteel if history is any indication.
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
jdw

Post by jdw »

Thank you for the clarification. You nailed it for me.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka