Needs, use and designs

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MichaelScott

Needs, use and designs

Post by MichaelScott »

For some reason unknown to me I am sitting here thinking about knives and needs. If I get realistic about it it seems to me that the only knife that I would mostly ever need would be my old Swiss Army knife. Supplement that with my little Leatherman tool and I would be totally fixed up.

So, why do I currently have three Spyderco knives? I am not a collector; I am more of a appreciator of quality stuff, especially knives.

I think that primarily drives my interest in and infrequent acquisition of Spyderco knives. I tend to favor new and innovative designs when I have satisfied my basic “needs knife” which is currently my plain Jane unmodified Para 3.

I am anticipating trying out the Smock, Hundred Pacer, Brouwer, and Ikuchi. None of these are particularly “need knifes” in an everyday user sense but they are fine examples of the designer and maker art. I may even buy one at some point.

I am glad that Spyderco has the philosophy acumen to makes these innovative designs available.
Keep them coming!
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
zhyla

Re: Needs, use and designs

Post by zhyla »

I think we’re in a bit of a disposable income bubble. The idea you can move production volumes of pocket knives at $150 and up is kind of nuts. That combined with how widespread CNC manufacturing has become makes this a golden era of knives, I think.

Almost any knife will get the job done. Everything beyond that is just kind of fluff.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I carried Old Timer Stockmen and SAKs throughout my childhood and am positive that they can still meet my needs today because I often do still carry both of them.

We live in a consumer culture. Pragmatism doesn't drive many peoples purchasing. If it did we would all drive either an F150 or a Honda Civic. People like their stuff so we have lots of stuff made to suit everybody's preferences. As long as we are a consumer driven culture then you can expect there to be lots and lots of options (and thankfully innovation).

For me personally it is too things. First, just because a SAK works doesn't mean that a Shaman or Para2 doesn't work better. Second, everybody needs a hobby and this is one of mine. Simple as that. I have the funds and it brings me joy. If it wasn't a hobby of mine I probably would have a vg10 Delica and an S30V Military and that would be it for Spydies.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:29 am
For me personally it is too things. First, just because a SAK works doesn't mean that a Shaman or Para2 doesn't work better. Second, everybody needs a hobby and this is one of mine. Simple as that. I have the funds and it brings me joy. If it wasn't a hobby of mine I probably would have a vg10 Delica and an S30V Military and that would be it for Spydies.
Roger that.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

Team Innovation
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I agree with BFK. It's a hobby for me. I definitely don't need all these knives but I do enjoy all the variety. I'm finally to the point where I don't feel I need to try every new design or have every variation of the models I like. I'm actually starting to purge some of my knives to help fund other interests. Problem is I'm having a hard time deciding which ones I can do without. :)
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:29 am

Very well put Darby, as usual. That is how it is for me as well.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

I definitely don't NEED the (relatively small number of) knives I have; had I found it first, I well may have stopped at the 52100 PM2, but other Spydercos make me happy as well, so I continue ;)
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Yep, definitely a hobby and the appreciation of well designed and engineered objects. If I were wealthy it would be watches and cars. Since i'm not it's knives and tools. I use all the knives and tools I buy, but I certainly dont need them all. I have no "shelf queens" or "safe queens". I have bought a few knives in the past that I resold before using, but I have no unused knives these days and going forward I'm being very selective. The DLC M4 Native was my first Spydie of the year. I only have two knives on my radar for 2019 at the moment, but I could easily end up with 10 depending on what surprises are in store.

Thats what makes this hobby so fun. Just when you think you are done, someone like St Nicks drops a Red G10 / DLC 4V folder out of no where! Hoping someone does the same with 3V this year.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

What Killer Said. :)

I need more knives like a need a hole in my head. :rolleyes:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Mom3ntuM

Post by Mom3ntuM »

All my cutting needs where satisfied with a fixed blade and a snapblade utility knife for the first 38 years Of my life. So I really don't need to buy knives.
I don't consider myself a collector, more a sampler Of different shapes,handle material, locks and steels.
That Said i Have accumulated about 100 knives in the last two years. So I Guess i have an underlying urge to collect. :)
Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today.
James Dean
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Funny how—above all else it might actually offer—a SAK is thought of as a knife. Whatever, I’ve loved SAKs since my teens and could easily make do with any of the models I own, to the exclusion of other folding knives.

My reasons for falling under Spyderco’s sway have changed over the years. Initially, I was looking for a largish, well-made, and inexpensive folder. Found the Tenacious, then came numerous other, and much more expensive, Glesser designs, and collabs, too.

I don’t need more and more knives, but I do crave an endless supply of good and/or provocative ideas.

Spyderco provides these ideas abundantly in the form of varied designs. I speak here not just of knives (materials etc.) and of abrasives (usable forms, etc.). I refer also Spyderco’s near-custom continent-spanning production techniques and policies, and the collaborative process, not to forget broad-spectrum marketing successes. They have been designed as well.

And Sal has invited the likes of us to divine the reasons he has baked into his designs (I’m not even including his sailboats...).

The ensuing conversation, not to forget an actual accumulation of Spydies that continues in my case, has been a fascination to me. I see this fascination as something bigger than a hobby, a fascination that doesn’t really need a large accumulation of knives.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Really just because life is difficult and sometimes it just sucks and if a knife gives you a few moments of joy then that's all the justification and "need" that is needed.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
benben

Post by benben »

I’m finally at the point where I know exactly what I like and what I’ll use the most......I guess what really works for me. I’ve still got a Lil’ Native and a serrated Pacific Salt on my “to buy” list but for the first time, I’m ready to move 12 to 15 knives that I just never use!
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

wrdwrght wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:45 pm
Funny how—above all else it might actually offer—a SAK is thought of as a knife. Whatever, I’ve loved SAKs since my teens and could easily make do with any of the models I own, to the exclusion of other folding knives.

My reasons for falling under Spyderco’s sway have changed over the years. Initially, I was looking for a largish, well-made, and inexpensive folder. Found the Tenacious, then came numerous other, and much more expensive, Glesser designs, and collabs, too.

I don’t need more and more knives, but I do crave an endless supply of good and/or provocative ideas.

Spyderco provides these ideas abundantly in the form of varied designs. I speak here not just of knives (materials etc.) and of abrasives (usable forms, etc.). I refer also Spyderco’s near-custom continent-spanning production techniques and policies, and the collaborative process, not to forget broad-spectrum marketing successes. They have been designed as well.

And Sal has invited the likes of us to divine the reasons he has baked into his designs (I’m not even including his sailboats...).

The ensuing conversation, not to forget an actual accumulation of Spydies that continues in my case, has been a fascination to me. I see this fascination as something bigger than a hobby, a fascination that doesn’t really need a large accumulation of knives.
Thank you wrdwrght. I think you have described what motivates many of us here. A fascination sprung out of the provocative ideas coming from Spyderco’s design team and collaborators expressed in knives. Exactly.

Team Innovation
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I can really identify with your opening post in a couple of ways. Because if push came to shove and I really got to a financial point to where I would have to totally prioritize needs versus wants versus luxuries then the game would radically change in very short order with the line up of tools I presently own and enjoy. Because you make an excellent point that few of us in America especially or even a few other western countries that have an abundance don't stop to think about. It's doubtful if very many American baby boomers such as myself ever really suffered truly what could be defined as "hard times" in the era in which we all grew up in. And truly "Hard Times" would dictate to only prioritize bare, essential needs>> and keeping up the "Smiths & Jones" families wouldn't even be a consideration at all.

If I truly had to trim down my user arsenal and my collector pieces as well as a myriad of other cutting tools I've gathered over the years I could get by with about 10% of what I currently own. Actually I would prioritize my sharpening equipment just a bit more than I would my vast array of cutlery. Because we find ourselves in a true crunch time that might be similar or slightly worse than the Great Depression that many of our Grandfathers and Great Grandfathers had to endure I can assure you that fancy collector pieces or any novelty type hardware would truly take a back seat and most likely be eliminated for most people's essential tools.

And Micheal I'm truly a lot like you when it comes to high quality, well engineered tools. I also have a collection of German, hand made fishing reels I've collected over the years and I could easily get by with about 10% to 15% of those I currently own. Because with that type of superb quality getting more and more rare on the store shelves it just makes me appreciate them that much more. To put it succinctly I'm probably more addicted to collecting "Quality" items rather than just trying to garner a bigger collection of tools and gear. I got a feeling you and I are on the same page in that respect and I do appreciate you bringing up this subject because truly many of us here in the USA just don't fully appreciate the great stuff we have access to and have been blessed with. I also deeply appreciate the quality minded people at Spyderco because it's obvious to me that they take their quality very seriously. They make tools that you can literally hand down for 2 to 3 generations and that degree of quality unfortunately is vanishing from the American business landscape. Great thread :) !! Very Thought Provoking to be sure ;)
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

JD,

We are on the same page about quality. Like many of us when I was young and had the means I bought all sorts of crap that now I don’t even remember. Now, I am about buying far fewer things, spending what I need to spend for a quality product and in addition to using it, enjoy the pleasure of just having it around.

A few companies operate in the quality realm and also committed to their community and customers. Spyderco is obviously one of those few. I have two Spydercos that are keepers: the Chaparral FRN and my new Para 3. I plan to someday get a Smock because it is so unique and original. Certainly don’t need it but I want it and will value having it.

Rampant and often thoughtless consumerism seems part of the culture now. Doesn’t bode well.

Team Innovation
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

MichaelScott wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:16 pm
JD,

We are on the same page about quality. Like many of us when I was young and had the means I bought all sorts of crap that now I don’t even remember. Now, I am about buying far fewer things, spending what I need to spend for a quality product and in addition to using it, enjoy the pleasure of just having it around.

A few companies operate in the quality realm and also committed to their community and customers. Spyderco is obviously one of those few. I have two Spydercos that are keepers: the Chaparral FRN and my new Para 3. I plan to someday get a Smock because it is so unique and original. Certainly don’t need it but I want it and will value having it.

Rampant and often thoughtless consumerism seems part of the culture now. Doesn’t bode well.
I couldn't agree more with what you just said. Because when I take a hard look at my own motivation I really seem to be more addicted to high quality pieces of superb workmanship than I do with acquiring high numbers of a certain item regardless of what type of item I'm buying. For instance at this time I only own one deer rifle>> and it's a very high quality piece>> it's so well made I don't need anything else. And I'm getting that way with many aspects of my own consumerism. I don't buy nearly as many clothing items as I did when I was younger. I mainly buy just a few pieces of high quality clothing like Round House, Filson, BlakLadder, Carhartt and a few others but you all get the point. I'm to the point to where I would much rather have a little bit of something significant than I would to own a high quantity of something that I wouldn't even have a year from now.

Because that's how "Rip-Mart" and vendors like them make their billions. They sell you the same thing over and over and over and over with minimal quality at that >> then at the end of the line you still have nothing>> and in the meantime they've made billions on the general public who continually gets hoodwinked>> thinking they got a bargain no less :rolleyes: . Another example: I own a Carhartt vest I've had since the mid 90s and I wore it quite a bit working this winter>> it ain't as pretty as it once was but it is still highly functional.

When you put it all in perspective super good quality is the ultimate bargain. Spyderco has made a super successful business based on a business plan that many American Companies used to have>> a business plan that made this country great at one time. One of my current EDCs is one of the oldest Spyders I've owned for years,. It's the stainless handled, ATS-55 RESCUE model that I've owned since 1999. It's still eons better than anything you could get at Rip-Mart. I wonder how many Rip-Mart knives I would have had to buy to over the years to meet my daily needs?? I would have probably spent 5 times as much as I did when I bought the Stainless RESCUE and at the end of the day I wouldn't have anything but landfill discards. I rest my case. Again a great and insightful thread. I hope a lot of the younger Spyderville Brethren read it carefully because it will save them a ton of money in the long run.
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

i actually am on the tail end of baby boomers and millennial's, i have 3 or 4 spydercos and 2 off brands now. i had to cut down to knives i actually carried and would carry. for any future knife purchases i will be using that criteria because i dont really have the means to collect but i do like having a high quality blade that i know will work and i can beat on for many years.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9