Hello, why do you guys like Spyderco?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Marulaghost

Re: Hello, why do you guys like Spyderco?

Post by Marulaghost »

For me it's all the previously posted reasons and more.

Spyderco offers a massive variety of products for both use and maintenance, all designed with ease of use and reliability. You don't have to really think too much when you're using a spyderco, your hands just do the thing.

They've managed to dip their toes into nearly every niche available in the knife world and have produced knives from almost every corner of the world.

They've dabbled with many a blade steel in a way that's visible for them as a business (much to our delight)

They're built with an ever improving quality that I'd compare to something expected of Toyota (very high praise right there)

Their business ethics are great. I'm more sad about this fact merely cause there are too many institutions that don't hold themselves to a higher standard.
So to see companies that uphold things like quality, proper warranties and customer service, giving new designers a shot, patents, and working with great factories really makes me smile.

Lastly i've gotta give it to the Glesser family. Sal and Eric are enthusiastic and dare i say happy guys doing what they love, innovating, and most importantly participating.
I'd hate to see how this company could have turned out if it was run by a NON knife guy! Someone who doesn't give a crap about the product. I've worked with all kinds of people. Even if i can't really get along with you, I'll like you if you show that you actually have some kind of proper work ethic and that it isn't all about you and your wallet. There's evidence all over of the work that get put into each knife and i love that

That's why they're my favorite knife maker
GiftedMisfit

Post by GiftedMisfit »

In a single word - Quality.
:cussing
ladybug93 wrote: And now I'm wondering how a translator will render "butt hurt"
jaypuck

Post by jaypuck »

sal wrote:
Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:32 am
Hi Jaypuck,

Welcome to our forum.

Lets us know what you think after you use one of our knivevs for a while?

sal
Holy crap, when they say you're involved with your customers, they're not kidding. I'm glad to say, sir, that I have purchased one of your knives, and will be glad to let you know what I think of it when I get it and get a chance to put it through it's paces. Even if I end up not liking it, I can say that I am very impressed by your overall business ethos and the loyalty you inspire in your customers.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

jaypuck wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:53 pm
sal wrote:
Hi Jaypuck,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Holy crap, when they say you're involved with your customers, they're not kidding. I'm glad to say, sir, that I have purchased one of your knives, and will be glad to let you know what I think of it when I get it and get a chance to put it through it's paces. Even if I end up not liking it, I can say that I am very impressed by your overall business ethos and the loyalty you inspire in your customers.
Welcome to the madness!

Which one did you get? >:)
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
jaypuck

Post by jaypuck »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:25 pm
jaypuck wrote:
Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:53 pm
sal wrote:
Hi Jaypuck,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Welcome to the madness!

Which one did you get? >:)
The Native 5 in S30V and G10 handles. It's right in my sweet spot as far as size and everything.
Frozenspyder

Post by Frozenspyder »

The Native5 is a great choice. With the G10 scales, it's a nearly perfect knife. I'm sure you'll enjoy it and it'll probably be the first of many.
jimmd

Post by jimmd »

Quality, innovation, great flat grinds for effective slicing, and a focus on ergonomics.

It may be over the OP’s intended price range, but if he could swing the FRN Chaparral, he’d experience all four of those aspects of Spyderco knives. It’s a small knife for light EDC use, so not for everything, but if you acquire more knives, this is one that won’t ever get replaced for its intended purpose.

Spyderco has always produced innovative and sometimes strange designs. Just recently we’ve seen the Caribbean, Kapara, Smock, and Ikuchi, just to name a few unusual but impressive designs.
Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:32 pm
Great products, listens to customer feedback and requests, collaborates with enthusiasts/designers, direct communication with customers here on the forum. It's hard to ask much more from a company.
Yeah everything he said as well as knowing in your gut you don't have to worry about failure in the field. I've got a 1998 model Spyderco Stainless RESCUE model that I've had for years now ( 12 to be exact) and I still use it quite a bit and it's just as dependable as it was the day I got it new.

Particularly in the past 10 to 12 years the wide array of different blade steels that Spyderco makes available to us. I really don't know of any other knife company that gives you that broad of a selection. And they are always willing to take suggestions and venture into unknown territory as far as new innovations go.