Any combo edge fan and why?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Any combo edge fan and why?

Post by Doc Dan »

I like combo edges, more than full serrated, and about as well as plain edge. I prefer FFG on the plain edge part.

Now, here is the question: Serrations on the front of the blade (e.g. Victorinox) or serrations on the back of the blade (e.g. Spyderco)?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:34 pm

Now, here is the question: Serrations on the front of the blade (e.g. Victorinox) or serrations on the back of the blade (e.g. Spyderco)?
Actually I was thinking about starting a dedicated thread about this very question, Doc... ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Doc Dan wrote:
I like combo edges, more than full serrated, and about as well as plain edge. I prefer FFG on the plain edge part.

i've thought about this a lot because i thought that i liked that vic does it on the front. that was when i was mostly using my knives in the woods and liked the plain edge in the back for bushcraft type chores. in reality though, if i need serrations, it's going to be a situation where i'm bearing down on the knife and need it to cut quickly. with the serrations on the belly of the blade, you're losing a lot of power in a cut for which you need to have power. in this case, i'm thinking about cutting rope or some kind of line that i'm stuck in under water, which is exactly why i started carrying serrated blades again in the first place.
on the other hand, if i'm doing finer tasks, where i don't need as much power, i prefer to have a clean edge near the tip for more precise work. i absolutely love that spyderco leaves the last bit of the tip as plain edge on many of their serrated knives. i'm sure that this is mostly to maintain tip strength, but having that ability to use a the tip for finer, clean cuts is very nice.
i thought vic had a good idea with their reverse approach to serrations, but we all know spyderco does serrated edges like no other. there is really just no comparison. i personally prefer their method with a mostly serrated edge and a bit of plain edge toward the tip of the blade. for a real combo edge, i'd really only like to see a set or two of serrations dropped, leaving just a little more plain edge at the tip for detailed work. you really don't need much edge to accomplish most cutting that is better suited for plain edge.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

ladybug93 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:03 am
Doc Dan wrote:

i've thought about this a lot because i thought that i liked that vic does it on the front. that was when i was mostly using my knives in the woods and liked the plain edge in the back for bushcraft type chores. in reality though, if i need serrations, it's going to be a situation where i'm bearing down on the knife and need it to cut quickly. with the serrations on the belly of the blade, you're losing a lot of power in a cut for which you need to have power. in this case, i'm thinking about cutting rope or some kind of line that i'm stuck in under water, which is exactly why i started carrying serrated blades again in the first place.
on the other hand, if i'm doing finer tasks, where i don't need as much power, i prefer to have a clean edge near the tip for more precise work. i absolutely love that spyderco leaves the last bit of the tip as plain edge on many of their serrated knives. i'm sure that this is mostly to maintain tip strength, but having that ability to use a the tip for finer, clean cuts is very nice.
i thought vic had a good idea with their reverse approach to serrations, but we all know spyderco does serrated edges like no other. there is really just no comparison. i personally prefer their method with a mostly serrated edge and a bit of plain edge toward the tip of the blade. for a real combo edge, i'd really only like to see a set or two of serrations dropped, leaving just a little more plain edge at the tip for detailed work. you really don't need much edge to accomplish most cutting that is better suited for plain edge.
This is my thoughts on front and rear serrations, as well. Plus, serrations work for bush crafting tasks, too. But, there are reasons to consider each type, I suppose. I really like a combo edge FFG for the versatility it gives me.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:52 am
ladybug93 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:03 am
Doc Dan wrote:
.... Plus, serrations work for bush crafting tasks, too.....
You're a wise man. Especially when it comes to fire making, Spydercos serrations are amazing, and I often wonder why this gets mentioned so seldom:

If let's say a beginner has troubles starting a fire with a firesteel, I'd recommend making feathersticks/ shavings with Spyderco serrations. Nothing works better for that, the result are very fine shavings that catch a spark like crazy and ignite very easily.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I have a Vic Trekker that's partially serrated and prefer Spyderco's version. I like the size of Spyderco's serrations for Bushcraft work.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
ferider

Post by ferider »

I have one combo edge, but from a different brand. It's a small (3" blade) Tanto, and there are 3 (custom) serrations just at the "Tanto corner", meaning the blade is plain flat ground closer to the pivot. As I typically use the area close to the Pivot for finer work (edge on one side of the object, thumb on the other; say - removing isolation from a wire, whittling, etc.), and the part of the edge further away from the handle for larger strokes, I find this useful. Always wondered why Spyderco combo edges have the serrations close to the pivot, and the plain part further out - feels very impractical to me.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

ferider wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:46 am
I have one combo edge, but from a different brand. It's a small (3" blade) Tanto, and there are 3 (custom) serrations just at the "Tanto corner", meaning the blade is plain flat ground closer to the pivot. As I typically use the area close to the Pivot for finer work (edge on one side of the object, thumb on the other; say - removing isolation from a wire, whittling, etc.), and the part of the edge further away from the handle for larger strokes, I find this useful. Always wondered why Spyderco combo edges have the serrations close to the pivot, and the plain part further out - feels very impractical to me.

A "reverse combo edge" with the serrations on the front would make an interesting variation of the Delica and/or Endura. Maybe they could try this on a Foliage Green Endela to see how it is received.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

steelcity16 wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:57 pm
ferider wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 7:46 am

A "reverse combo edge" with the serrations on the front would make an interesting variation of the Delica and/or Endura. Maybe they could try this on a Foliage Green Endela to see how it is received.
What is more usefull (serrations on the front vs on the back of the blade) depends a lot on the main scenarios you're cutting in:
Let's say you're cutting a lot of thick rope:
If it's free hanging or held in hand: Serrations on the back.
If you're cutting the rope on a surface/ cutting board: Serrations on the front...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I have pushed for a combo edge with serrations in the front, or more so in the middle for years but never got much support. My logic says I want the heel of the edge for hard carving action and the tip for fine detailed cuts and having the serrations in the middle guarantee nothing is going to slip off my edge without getting cut.

I think I did this edit about 5 years ago.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:18 pm
I have pushed for a combo edge with serrations in the front, or more so in the middle for years but never got much support. My logic says I want the heel of the edge for hard carving action and the tip for fine detailed cuts and having the serrations in the middle guarantee nothing is going to slip off my edge without getting cut.

I think I did this edit about 5 years ago.

I agree with you David; I think this would be the most logical configuration for a combo edge. When using a knife, especially one with any amount of belly, you tend to start at the heel and draw the knife edge through the material toward the tip. Having serrations on the front would, as you say, keep any material from easily sliding all the way off the edge. You'd almost get the effect of a hawkbill.

AG Russell made a sailor's knife in this manner, a combo edge with serrations at the tip. The Seamaster, it was called. Been discontinued for awhile now though.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"