Finally!

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
TomAiello

Re: Finally!

Post by TomAiello »

Daveho wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:27 pm
I personally won’t retire of course as work brings me a lot of joy but I also would like to go to school and do a degree and eventually move into a more intellectual field but my son now being 7 months old it means, god willing, that he and any subsequent kids will grow up having their parents around a bit more and having the flexibility to be more involved.
And that's what it's really about. Money isn't important for buying stuff--it's important for buying your time back, so you can use it in ways that are meaningful to you. :)
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

TomAiello wrote:
Tue Jan 29, 2019 8:54 am
Daveho wrote:
Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:27 pm
I personally won’t retire of course as work brings me a lot of joy but I also would like to go to school and do a degree and eventually move into a more intellectual field but my son now being 7 months old it means, god willing, that he and any subsequent kids will grow up having their parents around a bit more and having the flexibility to be more involved.
And that's what it's really about. Money isn't important for buying stuff--it's important for buying your time back, so you can use it in ways that are meaningful to you. :)
Exactly right! I’m in the process of trying to return to a role that I enjoyed a lot but needed to move on from for financial reasons but honestly getting out from under a mortgage at 30 buys more than my freedom in that I have the opportunity to do a lot of good for my family as they grow and buy homes, the whole generational wealth thing.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

That's incredible you're only 30 years old. I figured you were in your 50's! Here I thought I was doing well at 35 haha!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Well 30 next month but my wife and I met at 16 and have been on the same page since day 1 so we have been incredibly fortunate. It also helps that neither of us are particularly materialistic and have never had any debt beyond the mortgage including not having a credit card.

Beyond that our cars are very basic and I maintain them, we don’t do holidays away and we support local charity shops where possible as here they are very discerning as to what they take and the money helps local struggling families- it’s a win all round for us.

As for the knives i buy, I pick them up used if possible and if I buy something I will generally sell something to offset the cost-at times I’m very envious of peoples huge collections but I’m just not at that stage of life yet.
Honestly just doing a little better than minimum repayments goes a long way however it’s not easy as any mortgage paying person knows, jobs you hate, delaying most all gratification, not going out to drink/dine with mates and so on, it takes a toll and can be quite alienating but the rewards are there.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

At 30! Good effort - and wise priorities.

Time to live a little more now, though, eh? Life is short.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:02 am
At 30! Good effort - and wise priorities.

Time to live a little more now, though, eh? Life is short.
You aren’t wrong-
We lost my dad a couple of years back.

I’m going back to a role I like more but pays less and going to spend more time with friends and family.

The job let’s me use my knives more too aswell