Tanto PM2 Support Thread

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
ABX2011

Re: Tanto PM2 Support Thread

Post by ABX2011 »

Satin is still available.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Snacktime wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:58 am
Naperville wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:05 am
I hope that Bade HQ does this again, not just one more time but until the demand is met. The knives look fantastic. But as is common in my case, I'd have to save for it....UGH!
Biggest problem with short notice drops!
I just purchased a native G-10 Native Chief from a fellow Spydie Fan. I'm on a budget and would not have money for the two of these for months. That's not Blade HQ's fault, it's mine. 1st World Problems, hahahahaha!!!
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

Naperville wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:26 pm
I just purchased a native G-10 Native Chief from a fellow Spydie Fan. I'm on a budget and would not have money for the two of these for months. That's not Blade HQ's fault, it's mine. 1st World Problems, hahahahaha!!!
Well, you got the better knife then. The Chief runs circles around anything else in their whole catalog.
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

Next time the black tanto restock, I'm going to jump on it. It was dumb of me to hesitate. For a very weird reason I find the black way more tempting than the Satin version... Go figure, usually it's the opposite.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Accutron wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:59 pm
Naperville wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:26 pm
Well, you got the better knife then. The Chief runs circles around anything else in their whole catalog.
Thank you. Trying to collect all of the Native Chiefs, they're great. It is what I EDC every day and in no way do I lack for options, it's that good. If Spyderco made a 5 inch Native Chief, I'd carry that instead.

But I def like the Tanto PM2!!!
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Chapp wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:25 pm
Next time the black tanto restock, I'm going to jump on it. It was dumb of me to hesitate. For a very weird reason I find the black way more tempting than the Satin version... Go figure, usually it's the opposite.

It actually lasted quite a while...a day, I think?
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
SixShot666

Post by SixShot666 »

ABX2011 wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:19 am
Are the liners blacked out on this latest run?
I brought 4 of the Black PM2 Tanto, and the ones in the box marked EU their Liners aren't blacked out. However, the ones that were in the box mark FU are indeed blacked out.
:bug-white-red Over 300 Spyderco :bug-white-red
27---Hinderer XM-18 3.5"
8-----Hinderer XM-24 4"
9-----Hinderer Eklipse 3.5"
6-----Hinderer Maximus Bayonet Grind
3-----CRK Sebenza 21 Large
18---CRK Sebenza 31 Large
1-----CRK Sebenza 31 Large Elforyn Super Tusk Micarta
1-----CRK Inkosi Tanto Large
1-----CRK Inkosi Insingo Large Black Canvas Micarta
2-----CRK Umnumzaan Drop Point & Tanto
26---Spartan Harsey Folders Special Edition
95---Bark River Knives
18---Dawson Knives
69---Microtech Combat Troodon
27---Microtech Ultratech
9-----Microtech Delta Dirac
3-----Microtech Scarab II
65---Others Microtech Knives (Borka SBD & SBK, Stitch, Arbiter, Exocet, Hawk, Socom Elite, Socom Alpha, Socom Bravo)
27---Marfione Custom Knives
12---Kiku Matsuda Custom Knives
5-----CAS Sobral Brothers Custom Knives
8-----Rockstead Knives
Over 400 Benchmade, Cold Steel, Heretic Knives, Pro-Tech, RMJ Tactical, SOG, TOPS, WE Knives, Reate, Kizer, Condor Machetes, & Fox Knives combined.
SixShot666

Post by SixShot666 »

Accutron wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:41 am
The liners are *not* blacked out. They look exactly like the first run.
Check the code on your box again, the ones marked EU doesn't have blacked out liners like the original first run. However, if your box is marked with FU their liners are blacked out.

Crazy how a difference in one month of production make. Being EU is May 2021 and FU is June 2021.
:bug-white-red Over 300 Spyderco :bug-white-red
27---Hinderer XM-18 3.5"
8-----Hinderer XM-24 4"
9-----Hinderer Eklipse 3.5"
6-----Hinderer Maximus Bayonet Grind
3-----CRK Sebenza 21 Large
18---CRK Sebenza 31 Large
1-----CRK Sebenza 31 Large Elforyn Super Tusk Micarta
1-----CRK Inkosi Tanto Large
1-----CRK Inkosi Insingo Large Black Canvas Micarta
2-----CRK Umnumzaan Drop Point & Tanto
26---Spartan Harsey Folders Special Edition
95---Bark River Knives
18---Dawson Knives
69---Microtech Combat Troodon
27---Microtech Ultratech
9-----Microtech Delta Dirac
3-----Microtech Scarab II
65---Others Microtech Knives (Borka SBD & SBK, Stitch, Arbiter, Exocet, Hawk, Socom Elite, Socom Alpha, Socom Bravo)
27---Marfione Custom Knives
12---Kiku Matsuda Custom Knives
5-----CAS Sobral Brothers Custom Knives
8-----Rockstead Knives
Over 400 Benchmade, Cold Steel, Heretic Knives, Pro-Tech, RMJ Tactical, SOG, TOPS, WE Knives, Reate, Kizer, Condor Machetes, & Fox Knives combined.
Snacktime

Post by Snacktime »

Well got my 2 Satin S30V and the grind on one is uneven where the two edges intersect. Pulled my M4 tanto out and it is better than both my satins.
My socks carry tip up MNOSD Member 0021
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

Naperville wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 5:36 pm
Thank you. Trying to collect all of the Native Chiefs, they're great. It is what I EDC every day and in no way do I lack for options, it's that good. If Spyderco made a 5 inch Native Chief, I'd carry that instead.
I haven't carried anything but a Rex Chief since they dropped, and I've stayed complete on variants so far. It's kinda killed my interest in the PM2, but I can't seem to stop buying those either. I'd be totally onboard for a 5" Chief.

SixShot666 wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:30 pm
Check the code on your box again, the ones marked EU doesn't have blacked out liners like the original first run. However, if your box is marked with FU their liners are blacked out.

Crazy how a difference in one month of production make. Being EU is May 2021 and FU is June 2021.
Interesting. The date code on my son's box is FU, so it's not all FU date codes. I also saw somebody on Facebook mention that not all of the Arctic Storm PM2s have black standoffs.
spydie-fan

Post by spydie-fan »

While checking the tracking on my Black PVD PM2 Tanto I noticed the shipment originated from Virginia. Seems odd since BladeHQ is located in Utah. :thinking

Meanwhile my package is dancing around St. Louis Missouri for the last few days. Curious to see if it will have the blacked out liners, or not.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Haven't checked the exact time or when, but as of now the satin Tanto is sold out.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

spydie-fan wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:13 am
While checking the tracking on my Black PVD PM2 Tanto I noticed the shipment originated from Virginia. Seems odd since BladeHQ is located in Utah. :thinking
BHQ has two warehouses, one in Utah and one in Virginia.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

spydie-fan wrote:
Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:13 am

Meanwhile my package is dancing around St. Louis Missouri for the last few days. Curious to see if it will have the blacked out liners, or not.
BHQ moved their storefront from UT to VA in March 2021. As far as I know, everything ships out of VA now. All is good! Hope your order arrives in a timely manner!
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

They still ship things from both locations, and they still film their (excruciatingly bad) Youtube channel in Utah. They only relocated the B&M.
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

nerdlock wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 6:26 pm
Chapp wrote:
Mon Sep 20, 2021 3:25 pm

It actually lasted quite a while...a day, I think?
Yeah, but I hesitated for whatever reasons :zany My fault. Next time I'll jump on it.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Just got mine. Can’t bring myself to regard it as a PM2. Very different cutting experience.

I think what you can experience while actually cutting with a knife should be the basis for differentiating it from other models.

Whatever, the PM2 Tanto has a beast of a blade that is wonderously ground. Rotating the blade in the light, I count eight facets, not including two microbevels.

The blade maintains its original 3.5mm thickness to within 2.2cm of its tip (my Lum Tanto preserves its original 3.0mm thickness even closer to the tip). But with the standard PM2’s distil taper, this thickness diminishes with every measurement toward its more fragile tip. I would have no hesitation plunging the PM2 Tanto into sheet-metal, if need be; not so the standard PM2.

Moreover, the PM2 Tanto’s true wharncliffe section makes it perfect for unbacked/air cuts where constant force on that edge is wanted (I see no need for a PM2 Wharnie in light of the PM2 Tanto). I wonder how the PM2 Tanto would stack up, SD-wise, against the Yoji/umbo with its super-fragile tip.

I think anything tanto-ish, such as ones below, is not just purpose-built, but also is a challenge to users to discover its purpose.
Image Finding and expanding that purpose is part of the fun for me.

My PM2 Tanto is flawless but has no everyday-purpose that my standard PM2 will not handle better, except perhaps self-defense, which does not factor into why I carry a knife (which is not to say I wouldn’t use it for self-defense).
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Xformer

Post by Xformer »

To me it's a pm2 with a stronger tip and a better looking blade, which makes correct all my problems with the regular pm2.

Your inputs are welcome wrdwrght. I like to read post like those.