Will the Paramilitary FRN replace the Delica?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
User avatar
awa54
Member
Posts: 2113
Joined: Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:54 am
Location: Vermont, USA
Contact:

Re: Will the Paramilitary FRN replace the Delica?

Postby awa54 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:06 pm

NickShabazz wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:00 pm
The thicker blade is the main distinction. But I think between the Para3LW and the FRN Chapparal, we now have specialists to either side of the Delica, one for harder work, one for slicing. But I suspect for many, particularly who desire USA-made and enjoy sprints, the P3LW will be a really compelling choice. Haven't handled one yet, though.

That said, a USA-made Delica 5 with the choil and thinner blade and wire clip would be... deeply welcome. That knife as a sprint host? Oh yes.

What about a Chaparral LW/Delica mash-up? Blade stop, stock thickness and 50/50 choil lifted from Chaparral LW, combined with the blade and handle shape of a Delica 4 (modified to accommodate the choil of course).

I'd buy one, USA made in BD1N would be icing on the cake!
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...

User avatar
Wartstein
Member
Posts: 474
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:06 am
Location: Salzburg, Austria, Europe

Re: Will the Paramilitary FRN replace the Delica?

Postby Wartstein » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:37 pm

awa54 wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:06 pm
NickShabazz wrote:
Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:00 pm
The thicker blade is the main distinction. But I think between the Para3LW and the FRN Chapparal, we now have specialists to either side of the Delica, one for harder work, one for slicing. But I suspect for many, particularly who desire USA-made and enjoy sprints, the P3LW will be a really compelling choice. Haven't handled one yet, though.

That said, a USA-made Delica 5 with the choil and thinner blade and wire clip would be... deeply welcome. That knife as a sprint host? Oh yes.

What about a Chaparral LW/Delica mash-up? Blade stop, stock thickness and 50/50 choil lifted from Chaparral LW, combined with the blade and handle shape of a Delica 4 (modified to accommodate the choil of course).

I'd buy one, USA made in BD1N would be icing on the cake!
I´d buy one too.
Would be something like the one I´ve been thinking of when I started a poll / thread quite recently (https://www.spyderco.com/forumII/viewto ... aparral+xl) (and I remember you participated :) ) just not as long but just a little bigger in size than the current Chaparral ?
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40

Daveho
Member
Posts: 1013
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2018 9:19 pm

Re: Will the Paramilitary FRN replace the Delica?

Postby Daveho » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:44 pm

I think it won’t replace it but it will take a chunk of market share making it less likely to stick Around
Seems like a good replacement though I will say.

User avatar
sparky2016
Member
Posts: 79
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:03 pm

Re: Will the Paramilitary FRN replace the Delica?

Postby sparky2016 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:04 pm

Lock, choil, size.

Plus you haven't seen the Delica 5 yet. :P

User avatar
elena86
Member
Posts: 2288
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:59 am
Location: Somewhere in Europe

Re: Will the Paramilitary FRN replace the Delica?

Postby elena86 » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:34 pm

Long story short : NEVER !
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it " ( Rabindranath Tagore )

User avatar
Wartstein
Member
Posts: 474
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:06 am
Location: Salzburg, Austria, Europe

Re: Will the Paramilitary FRN replace the Delica?

Postby Wartstein » Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:05 pm

sparky2016 wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:04 pm
Lock, choil, size.

Plus you haven't seen the Delica 5 yet. :P
Delica 5: For me still NO choil, still backlock hopefully... ;)
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40

cbrstar
Member
Posts: 92
Joined: Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:02 pm
Location: Alberta Canada

Re: Will the Paramilitary FRN replace the Delica?

Postby cbrstar » Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:43 pm

If you guys want a Delica with a finger choil why not try out a Byrd Meadowlark? I'm not sure if it was the Endura or Delica but I thought I once read that Spyderco tested one with a choil just to find out that people hated it.

User avatar
gull wing
Member
Posts: 3070
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:33 am
Location: Louisiana USA

Re: Will the Paramilitary FRN replace the Delica?

Postby gull wing » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:52 pm

So the FRN will be a regular production item?
SCARAMOUCHE! :spyder:

cycleguy
Member
Posts: 56
Joined: Tue Aug 28, 2018 4:46 pm
Location: Arvada, coloRADo

Re: Will the Paramilitary FRN replace the Delica?

Postby cycleguy » Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:53 pm

elena86 wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:34 pm
Long story short : NEVER !
Long story shorter - NO!!!

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!

ugaarguy
Member
Posts: 431
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:07 pm
Location: Indiana

Re: Will the Paramilitary FRN replace the Delica?

Postby ugaarguy » Mon Jan 14, 2019 10:10 pm

gull wing wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:52 pm
So the FRN will be a regular production item?
It appears so. The V Toku Meerkat was the only knife in the reveal catalog that was labeled as a sprint.

olywa
Member
Posts: 101
Joined: Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:10 pm
Location: Wetter WA

Re: Will the Paramilitary FRN replace the Delica?

Postby olywa » Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:13 pm

The Para 3 LW appeals to me more than the Delica 4. I've tried to like the Delica but it just doesn't do it for me. That being said, I really get excited about these new LW FRN releases. The Chappy, this Para 3, and the future Caly 3.5 that Sal has mentioned. These and the UKPK, as well as the Urban are my preferred daily carry designs.

User avatar
PayneTrain
Member
Posts: 1491
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:30 pm
Location: CT

Re: Will the Paramilitary FRN replace the Delica?

Postby PayneTrain » Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:36 am

A bunch have pointed out the thicker blade of the Para 3, but I think even more noticeable is the thicker handle. The compression lock necessitates a thicker handle, which is sort of a feature of the Para 3. It's small, but it's got more to grab on to. The Delica is almost like a blade wrapped in the least amount of handle possible. It's blade first, handle second. The Para 3 is more of a compromise between blade and handle. Not that compromise is a bad thing, sometimes you want both, but studies show I'll pick the Delica over the Para 3 most of the time. I love that slim figure.
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."

User avatar
gull wing
Member
Posts: 3070
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:33 am
Location: Louisiana USA

Re: Will the Paramilitary FRN replace the Delica?

Postby gull wing » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:33 am

I think I could like this FRN Para 3, I know I'm wild about my M390 Para 3. Now I must find out about the BD1N, If it's something like VG10, great.
SCARAMOUCHE! :spyder:

User avatar
Wartstein
Member
Posts: 474
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:06 am
Location: Salzburg, Austria, Europe

Re: Will the Paramilitary FRN replace the Delica?

Postby Wartstein » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:45 am

PayneTrain wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 5:36 am
... The Delica is almost like a blade wrapped in the least amount of handle possible. It's blade first, handle second.
How'd you describe the Chaparral LW in that case? ;)
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40

User avatar
ASmitty
Member
Posts: 963
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:33 am
Location: South Dakota
Contact:

Re: Will the Paramilitary FRN replace the Delica?

Postby ASmitty » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:23 am

The Delica, IMO, is starting to border on over-priced for what you get. I hate saying that as it's always been a favorite. I have one in my pocket right now, and my wife and I own at least 5 Delicas between us (pink and pink/purple Zome for her). When the Delica4 was first released it was just barely over $40. As of today, it is selling for nearly double that at $78. Meanwhile, my local sporting goods store sells the Victorinox Huntsman for $34.99 which is only $1 more than I paid for my first one in 1992. I know that's not an apples-to-apples comparison in some regards. I'm just saying that, for me, the Para3 LW will be a more attractive option for just a little bit more money based on where the Delica is currently priced.

User avatar
PayneTrain
Member
Posts: 1491
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:30 pm
Location: CT

Re: Will the Paramilitary FRN replace the Delica?

Postby PayneTrain » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:44 am

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:45 am

How'd you describe the Chaparral LW in that case? ;)
I haven't held the LW, but I do have the Raffir Noble and it sticks to my pocket like the Delica does. A real winner for me. I think the Chaparral has a slightly rounder butt, but I think you're on the right track there. If you want to compare something to the Delica, it's gotta be a backlock. They seem to come in the smallest handles.
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."

User avatar
Wartstein
Member
Posts: 474
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:06 am
Location: Salzburg, Austria, Europe

Re: Will the Paramilitary FRN replace the Delica?

Postby Wartstein » Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:50 am

PayneTrain wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:44 am
Wartstein wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:45 am

How'd you describe the Chaparral LW in that case? ;)
I haven't held the LW, but I do have the Raffir Noble and it sticks to my pocket like the Delica does. A real winner for me. I think the Chaparral has a slightly rounder butt, but I think you're on the right track there. If you want to compare something to the Delica, it's gotta be a backlock. They seem to come in the smallest handles.
I got the Chap LW quite recently, still almost can´t beliveve how much I love this knife, for I am generally more of a bigger knife guy.
/ I previously answered to your post, cause you stated: "The Delica is almost like a blade wrapped in the least amount of handle possible" - and I thought the Chap is even more so... ;)
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40

Conan
Member
Posts: 29
Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 9:29 am

Re: Will the Paramilitary FRN replace the Delica?

Postby Conan » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:22 pm

Does the Para 3 LW have liners and washers?

ugaarguy
Member
Posts: 431
Joined: Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:07 pm
Location: Indiana

Re: Will the Paramilitary FRN replace the Delica?

Postby ugaarguy » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:57 pm

cbrstar wrote:
Mon Jan 14, 2019 8:43 pm
If you guys want a Delica with a finger choil why not try out a Byrd Meadowlark? I'm not sure if it was the Endura or Delica but I thought I once read that Spyderco tested one with a choil just to find out that people hated it.
Been there done that. The build quality on the Byrd Meadowlark is very poor and the blade is 8Cr13. If I'm going down to that steel, the design and build quality need to be there. Cold Stuff Lite and CRKT Pilar have much better fit and finish than the Byrd Meadowlark.

FK
Member
Posts: 280
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:33 am
Location: CT USA

Re: Will the Paramilitary FRN replace the Delica?

Postby FK » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:29 pm

Conan wrote:
Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:22 pm
Does the Para 3 LW have liners and washers?
If it does not have blade washers,,,, I will pass,,, along with many others.
The compression lock design has liner on one side for the lock,, they could delete or make minimum liner on other side.

Regards,
FK


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AlexRus, bigboned, dammyippon, Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], mbp, Sharp Guy, TkoK83Spy and 56 guests