Carbon steel and temperature changes.

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Cave_Hermit

Carbon steel and temperature changes.

Post by Cave_Hermit »

Hello I’m living in the Southern Hemisphere and am getting some 1095 and VG10 knives coming in from America. My worry is that as it’s summer here and winter there, will the sudden changes in temperature causes rust on either of these Steels? Thank you.
Last edited by Cave_Hermit on Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
knivesandbooks

Re: Cabron steel and temperature changes.

Post by knivesandbooks »

I doubt the temparture but moisture/humidity will. Most new carbon blades come with some level of coating but I'd put a fresh coat on when you get them.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Cabron, that is funny. :D

VG10 will be fine. The 1095 should be at least coated with oil if it is from a decent company/maker. I wouldn't worry too much.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Cave_Hermit

Post by Cave_Hermit »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:14 pm
Cabron, that is funny. :D

VG10 will be fine. The 1095 should be at least coated with oil if it is from a decent company/maker. I wouldn't worry too much.
Haha cheers mate.
Cave_Hermit

Post by Cave_Hermit »

knivesandbooks wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 4:08 pm
I doubt the temparture but moisture/humidity will. Most new carbon blades come with some level of coating but I'd put a fresh coat on when you get them.
Puts my mind at ease a bit thanks.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

It does not get anymore humid (or hot) than where I live. It is equatorial, jungle, sea air, river air, 100% humidity, high heat, day in and day out. I use Vaseline on my carbon steel blades. It is food safe, and the paraffin wax in it keeps the mineral oil in it on the blades. A coat so thin you cannot see it is all it takes.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Cave_Hermit

Post by Cave_Hermit »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:03 pm
It does not get anymore humid (or hot) than where I live. It is equatorial, jungle, sea air, river air, 100% humidity, high heat, day in and day out. I use Vaseline on my carbon steel blades. It is food safe, and the paraffin wax in it keeps the mineral oil in it on the blades. A coat so thin you cannot see it is all it takes.
I could not stand 100% humidity every day! Thanks for the advice, sounds cheaper than tuff cloth I’ll give it a try.