Peel-Ply CF vs. Peel-Ply G10

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
basedlarrydavid

Peel-Ply CF vs. Peel-Ply G10

Post by basedlarrydavid »

Just recently found a CF/S90V Para 3 for a good price and picked it up. I’ve had carbon fiber on other knives (CRKs mostly), but never this highly textured stuff. The texture is SO aggressive. I like the ergos quite a bit, but how prone is the peel-ply CF to smoothing? More, less, or about the same compared to G10?
More K390 and 10V, please.

Instagram: @ohioapexing
Mstach07

Re: Peel-Ply CF vs. Peel-Ply G10

Post by Mstach07 »

Based on my observation, less. It also doesn’t get shiny like worn-in g10
Last edited by Mstach07 on Sat Dec 15, 2018 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Mstach07 wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 12:18 pm
Based on my observation, less. It also doesn’t get shimmy like worn-in g10

I agree. I carried a peel-ply CF Stretch almost every day for over 2 years, and it still has as much texture as its never carried back up twin.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Extra330SC

Post by Extra330SC »

basedlarrydavid wrote:
Sat Dec 15, 2018 10:46 am
Just recently found a CF/S90V Para 3 for a good price and picked it up. I’ve had carbon fiber on other knives (CRKs mostly), but never this highly textured stuff. The texture is SO aggressive. I like the ergos quite a bit, but how prone is the peel-ply CF to smoothing? More, less, or about the same compared to G10?
Spyderco's peel-ply carbon fiber didn’t really interest me when I first started into knives! I loved CF from ZT, Benchmade, CRK, WE , and other makers who used similar style smooth finishing. I was able to handle a buddys Para 3 52100 and realized how good the PPCF was on spydercos knives . There are a few threads out there on the Internet that talk about how nice the Peel-ply carbon comes out with some finish sanding! I'm going to try and smooth out a set of carbon scales that I have (added custom suingab ) laying around .....I'll post how it turns out.

James
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I dislike knives that are as slippery as a fish. The CF peel ply suits me fine. I recently acquired the Military with 52100 and peel-ply CF and it is great. I think it has more tooth than my toothiest G10. It is wonderful stuff and I am glad to learn that it has good edge retention.