How different is your daily carry knife w/ gloves on?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
lonerider1013

How different is your daily carry knife w/ gloves on?

Post by lonerider1013 »

So ... wearing work gloves this morning (because it was darn cold at 4am) and noticed something... my Delica was darn hard to get out and open quickly when needed. Fumbly almost. I imagine this is because the gloves make the fingers somewhat bigger. Anyway... question: how different is the knife you carry most with gloves on? Harder to use? Similar? My thoughts are that if I had my endura it'd have been less fiddly. I.e., a somewhat bigger knife to counteract the fact that I effectively had bigger hands. Or is it just practice and you get used to it? Thoughts appreciated as winter is just starting lol.
Lonerider
"A fool's blade may be sharper than his brain"
“Learn to ride a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live." - Mark Twain
Evil D

Re: How different is your daily carry knife w/ gloves on?

Post by Evil D »

Pretty much the same, but I tend to favor models that do well with or without gloves, particularly ones that open and close easily with gloves on.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

I would be carrying a Military and it works fine with gloves on.

Used Militiary's quite a bit with gloves on over the years.
Last edited by Ankerson on Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

That's interesting you bring up using your EDC Spyders with gloves on. Because that's another one of many reasons I carry/EDC my C-36, M390 Military. As hefty as it is I find it relatively easy to deploy it with some types of gloves on. While at work I usually wear a brand of glove called "IRON CLAD" and they are specifically a glove solely designed for hard work and work that is normally very rough on your hands. I love the IRON CLAD brand because they are very easy to maneuver with using tools.

I do think that the type of glove you are using plays a huge role in how easy it is to work with,
vivi

Post by vivi »

My Police 4 and Pacific Salt both work pretty well for me with gloves on. They have bigger opening holes than the Police 3 and Endura 3, respectively. No issues with the locks either.

I generally reach for fixed blades when I'm wearing gloves. I find them much more convenient than operating a folder with gloves on, especially if my hands are a bit stiff from the cold.

Aqua Salt is a go to. The handle feels just a hair oversized with no gloves on (the only spyderco you'll hear me say that about!), perfect with some on. Street Beat and Street Bowie are also nice with their large index choil that easily fits a gloved finger.
:unicorn
BornIn1500

Post by BornIn1500 »

To me, larger knives with heft are the best with gloves. The smaller and lightweight knives almost bounce around in my hand. Contrary to all the popular YouTube reviewers, shaving ounces isn't all it's cracked up to be.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:41 pm

I do think that the type of glove you are using plays a huge role in how easy it is to work with,

Quite so. I had a job years ago where I had to spend some time each day in a -20 defree freezer, and had to break down boxes in there. We wore some really thick knitted wool mittens that pretty much eliminated fine motor control, but I was still able to open and close my Military. Looking back I think that was the first time the size of the Military handle started making sense to me. When you already have big hands and then put huge mittens over them, you need lots of handle. This is another reason why I'm fine with the Military staying with a liner lock, even though I do prefer other lock designs in general. The Military is just a very well sorted design.
~David
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:13 pm
Pretty much the same, but I tend to favor models that do well with or without gloves, particularly ones that open and close easily with gloves on.
+1
Military and/or fixed blade are my main carry in cold weather. A lot of knives get sidelined in winter.
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

I just did an experiment... tried pulling and opening my endura with the gloves on. a lot easier.
I think I'm gonna get an ffg endura in orange..,.
The military is awesome but a bit pricey and I'm a lefty with nerve damage in his right hand...so the solo clip position knocks that out (unless I wanna special order a southpaw model). Don't own many fixed blades, want to try an Enuff one day... but not sure I could get by carrying it at work.
Lonerider
Last edited by lonerider1013 on Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

It's such a bummer that more people can't enjoy the Autonomy. The Plunge Lock is absolutely perfect for gloved use. The fire/lock button seem overkill until you feel it through gloves. It provides a lot of tactile feedback.
~David
vivi

Post by vivi »

This thread has me wondering if the upcoming Swick with the larger hole size will work well with gloves on. My Swick 3 has a hole diameter that's a tad undersized for that if the gloves are thick. Works great with thin gardening gloves though.
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

Bouncing off the Autonomy comment (and the Autonomy seems like the most glove friendly auto), I've found that autos make great glove knives, especially if the button is larger or it is a bigger switch like on an otf.
Easy to open and easy to close becuase you just hit the button and close it on your leg.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I don't wear gloves....and I need to practice my draw.

I'm looking for a fixed blade, would love Spyderco to do a huge run of CTS-XHP street Beat, but for now my EDC is ZT 0095 TANBLK in S90V and if not that then two Yojimbo 2's in 20CV. If Spyderco does not do the XHP run soon, I'm likely to go with White River Caper in S35VN.
Last edited by Naperville on Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
vivi

Post by vivi »

Spydercos heat treat of VG10 works well in fixed blades. I wouldn't let that keep you from getting a Street Beat. It's a very nice design.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I live in a cold climate. It was well below freezing this morning (I think about 7 degrees F). I spend a lot of time outside. Probably a lot more than most. I am outside at work a lot and try to spend most of my free time outside too. I wear winter gloves a lot and the only knife I really carry when wearing gloves is the Military. It is easy to draw from the pocket and easy to use.

Today I carried the Rex45 Military and HAP40 Delica together. Great combo!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
sal

Post by sal »

I'm with Jim and will generally grab the Military, which was specifically designed for a gloved hand.

sal
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:51 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 3:41 pm

Quite so. I had a job years ago where I had to spend some time each day in a -20 defree freezer, and had to break down boxes in there. We wore some really thick knitted wool mittens that pretty much eliminated fine motor control, but I was still able to open and close my Military. Looking back I think that was the first time the size of the Military handle started making sense to me. When you already have big hands and then put huge mittens over them, you need lots of handle. This is another reason why I'm fine with the Military staying with a liner lock, even though I do prefer other lock designs in general. The Military is just a very well sorted design.

Well said. I agree
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

sal wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:57 pm
I'm with Jim and will generally grab the Military, which was specifically designed for a gloved hand.

sal
I agree completely. I favor larger knives anyway but one day went thru all my EDC knives with a pair of elkskin work gloves on and the Mille really stood out.!
Endura and P4 were not shabby either :)
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

sal wrote:
Thu Dec 13, 2018 7:57 pm

sal
I think you have a lot of user experience on this thread confirming that. It is a really ergonomic design in a lot of ways that a person can feel when handling one, but the contrast among models when working with gloves on is really evident.
lonerider1013

Post by lonerider1013 »

Thanks all.
Being a lefty with a messed up right hand, anyone who is left handed have experience carrying a standard right handed right clip Military as a lefty? I've done it before with other knives,but usually cheapos (in the past before I got a decent knife).
I'm Still leaning towards an ffg Endura but... just curious, how is it to use/carry the standard Military lefty?
I know they make a special lefty one but I'd rather buy from my local store which has several standard Military's than special order....

Lonerider