What was your first Spyderco?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mazzman

Re: What was your first Spyderco?

Post by mazzman »

A C11 Delica full serrations, G2 Seki City, around 1994. Still have it.
razehound

Post by razehound »

Got a used PM2 S30V Digicam for $90. Pretty dirty, but I cleaned it and found no real permanent damage. Dyed the scales navy blue and sharpened it with a Sharpmaker. Made me fall in love with the brand, as well as understand why people spend triple digits on knives. I actually still have it, even if only for sentimental value.
-razehound :spyder: Spydiechef, Paramilitary 2, Para 3 LW, Salt 2 SE, Spydiechef, Para 3 LW

I'd rather get caught with it than without it...
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

According to my notes, the first 2 Spydercos that I bought were:

#1) Spyderco Military S110V, Folder
#2) Spyderco Bob Lum Darn Dao Fixed
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
S-3 ranch

Post by S-3 ranch »

Not sure it was G2 or ats55 delica
Just bought a delica G2 and sent it to factory for a facial/ sharpen
“”Think of an edge as a living thing that comes and goes, born, get's old, is reborn.””
SAL :spyder:

“ The best laid schemes o’ Mice an’ Men” :bug-white-red :bug-white-red
ThomC

Post by ThomC »

First one was a year and a half ago, a CE Endura.
Didn't fit my hand, so I swapped it for a PM2. It was my first user Spydie, and I just kept going from there. Currently have 2 Millies and a CQI Chef.
European amateur knife enthusiast
Hikes and outdoors galore
🏍️Motorcycle enthusiast
In the knoife box : M4 Millie, Spyderco Perrin Street Bowie, TOPS Tanimboca
In the future : CE/SE/Rex45/MagnaCut Millie, K2, Slysz Bowie, linerlock Sage
Patko

Post by Patko »

Sage 1

My lawn mower found it in the grass :-(
--mitja
Featherblade

Post by Featherblade »

Manix 2, all black, hollow grind PE, 154CM (C101GPBBK2).
It's no longer mine. I gifted it to a friend before years.
djrbas

Post by djrbas »

Delica 4 gray, seven years ago

Still have that one and many more.
Ryder

Post by Ryder »

CoPilot 34 years ago...
z1r

Post by z1r »

Technically the first Spyderco I bought was a Byrd Harrier 2 I ordered online. This was the beginning of March. Before it arrived I found myself in Golden at the Outlet and realized the Harrier was bigger than I anticipated. I ended up walking out that day with a Ladybug Salt with the Hawkbill blade for the wife and a MT28 and Byrd Hawkbill for myself.

Within the week I was back for a Native 5 FRN with S35VN PE blade, two more MT28's, one for my Son and one for my BIL, and a black FRN SE Dragonfly. Within the next week I picked up 3 more Dragonflys, a ZDP, Orange VG10, and a VG10 Emerson. Last week I took home a CF Chap. Today the USPS delivered my v-toku2/sus410 Ladybug. Now I need a K390 Dragonfly.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

my first pocket knife ever was a spyderco ladybug almost thirty years ago.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C36MCW2, C258YL, C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
H2, CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

My first Spyderco was actually four. And it was four of the first six folding knife related items I ever bought.

It was the 19th of August 2016, I was no stranger to fixed knives and multi tools, but only as required tools for hunting, work and outdoor activities, never as an interest in itself. That was until I started getting serious about shooting sports again around early 2016, and I couldn't avoid running across the term EDC while "researching" what had happened in world of guns since I was last serious about it. After a while I got curious about this EDC thing, that I had never heard of before. One thing led to another and before long I was researching knives, flashlights and all that jazz.

Norway isn't the center of the universe with regards to knives, so I decided to do thorough research and just bite the bullet, and get all my top picks from the US one a single order. This is my very first order, KnifeCenter was the chosen supplier:

CRKSEB21S Chris Reeve Small Sebenza 21 Folding Knife 2.94" S35VN Stonewashed Blade, Titanium Handles

SP81GP2 Spyderco C81GP2 Paramilitary 2 Folding Knife 3-7/16" S30V Satin Plain Blade, Black G10 Handles

SP91PYL Spyderco C91PYL Pacific Salt Folding Knife 3-13/16" H1 Satin Plain Blade, Yellow FRN Handles

SP28POR2 Spyderco C28POR2 Dragonfly 2 Folding Knife 2-5/16" VG10 Plain Blade, Orange FRN Handles

SP204MF Spyderco 204MF Sharpmaker Standard Complete Set Medium and Fine Grit Rods

ON8860 Ontario RAT Model 2 Folding Knife 3.0" Satin Plain Blade, Black Nylon Handles

It's not a terrible first order even by my current preferences. The PM2 and PS are since replaced by a P3 and PS2 respectively. Still have the other ones, though the RAT2 was mostly to have a beater and a guinea pig to practice sharpening, and has almost never seen any real use.
Jared

Post by Jared »

First Spyderco was a Para 3, black G10, Satin plain edge blade. To call that knife an eye opening experience would be an understatement. It’s still a favorite of mine, even after a few years and several Spydies later.
BohnsBlades

Post by BohnsBlades »

Tenacious!
Reference_Sensor

Post by Reference_Sensor »

BLUETYPEII wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 12:30 pm
Reference_Sensor wrote:
Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:18 pm
I still have my first one, a Delica with the FRN pocket clip, that I bought at Edgewater Mall in Biloxi, MS back in 1991. This little knife was so remarkably different from everything else around it in the case that I just had to try it, and that was all she wrote. I've got a hoard of Syprderco knives now, these many years and weary miles later.

My next was a FRN Endura that I carried as a work knife, and after the clip sheared off coming out of the hatchway of an air handling unit I was building, I sanded down the remainder of the clip attachment and carried it as a "regular" pocket knife until I saw the stainless Endura II. Carried the Endura II all around the world in 2004-2005, from Camp Shelby to Fort Irwin to Kuwait and Iraq, this nifty little powerhouse of a blade made life a whole lot easier as I zipped through packing materials, valiantly slew hundreds of MREs and all the other various tasks a knife is called upon to accomplish. It shows quite a bit of wear and use, but is still razor sharp and occupies a place of honor in my collection.

I retired the old Endura II after I started working at Camp Shelby, and bought a Foliage Green Endura for uniform wear, and carried that one until 2010, when I was getting ready for Afghanistan. Picked up a black Endura with the DLC blade at the Fort Hood Clothing Sales shop before we shipped, and it has been an awesome knife. Still has Afghan dust in the crevices of the handle scales, and it still just as sharp as when I bought it.

I went to Africa in 2017, and took with me a new Military with the digicam scales and DLC coated blade, and was immensely pleased with it, as it makes a heckuva field knife, and it's light as all get out. It doesn't look as new as it once did, but it handled everything Africa could throw at it, and came back for more.

This year, I'm in Afghanistan, and there is a brand new Amalgam on its way to me here in Kabul. This one is a bit of a departure for me, but I'm looking forward to getting my hands on this interesting and beautifully designed knife.

I guess you could say that I've started my own tradition, with very new adventure accompanied by a new Spyderco, and now that my son has joined the US Air Force, I plan to pass that tradition on to him should he ever deploy overseas. He already has a Manix with the translucent blue scales (kinda fitting for an Airman, I think), so he already knows what a quality pocket knife is supposed to look like!

I look forward to whatever is over the horizon, and when I get there, I'll have a Spyderco in my pocket.
I’m very curious how you like the Amalgam. Especially because it has caged bearings.

Thanks.
A few years down the road, I have to say the Amalgam was and is everything I expected from a Spyderco. Light, easy to open, sharp as ****, and generally pleasant to carry and use in a variety of modes and functions. I clipped it into my waistband for running and PT, carried it clipped to my pocket every day at work, and it never gave me any problems, and the dusty environment of Afghanistan didn't really seem to affect it at all. It doesn't look quite as new as it did, but it held up amazingly well for an overseas EDC, and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

I'm currently carrying my old full serrated Police Model, but will be rotating the Amalgam back into daily use once I get over my "retro" kick.
"let a man never stir a step on the road without his weapons of war, for unsure is the knowing when need shall arise of a spear on the way without." Havamal, verse 38
Netherend

Post by Netherend »

Tenacious… tough little knife
Just one more knife...
Tristan_david2001

Post by Tristan_david2001 »

It was either the grasshopper, h1 dragonfly, or the persistence. I bought all in the same store around the same time, quite some time ago now so it’s hard to remember which exactly was first. But these were my firsts !
:bug-red-white
Ranger_Ike

Post by Ranger_Ike »

My first was a sprint run. A Para 3 in forest green g10 and S45vn.
T.J.

Post by T.J. »

Manix 2 LW CTS-BD1N
Soanso McMasters

Post by Soanso McMasters »

LW Chaparral. I gave it to my son as his first Spyderco as well.