Sal, Can we get CPM 15v?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Deadboxhero

Re: Sal, Can we get CPM 15v?

Post by Deadboxhero »

Yes, very curious, Had 10v at 67rc in the kitchen for over a year, it's my wife's favorite knife and we have quite a kitchen knife collection from Hap40 to ZDP 189 so I liked that it stood out.

So with how well 10v was doing it's makes sense to turn the volume up so to speak especially with how well the modified HT protocol has been doing over the past year.

I've used a lot of steels but CPM 15v always brings me back. I like the aggression and "bite" you can feel at the edge with all those wonderful carbides bristling at the apex.

Great flavor to edge geek on.

wirelessjunkie wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:46 pm
Deadboxhero wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:39 pm
The Real Question is, Will 15v work in the kitchen?

Oooh, I want to see how this pans out!
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

sal wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:49 pm
Very nice. Keep us posted.

sal
Yes should be interesting, I have a sujuhiki/slicer in CPM Rex121 at 71rc to compare to.

The 15v took less belts to grind than rex121 but certainly more than the 10v.

15v seems like a nice sweet spot, I'm curious to go thinner so it falls through the food better. Easy solution, just throw more abrasive at it :D
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

****... I want one of those. Nice work BBB.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Fireman wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 1:00 am
****... I want one of those. Nice work BBB.
Me too, will be rad to rock some 15v on a Spyderco folder. :D
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Even I would like a 15V folder run hard and I'm not a big carbide guy. One of the problems is Shawn explains things so well I start seeing the potential and next thing I'm thinking about 15V. If Spyderco can translate and deliver Shawn's heat treat this will be a new standard in commercial knives. If an company can pull it off it's Spyderco.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

What's the downsides to running super high carbide steels in a kitchen knife?
That's a nice looking blade shape!
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Subscribed & WOW.
wirelessjunkie

Post by wirelessjunkie »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 11:54 pm
... I like the aggression and "bite" you can feel at the edge with all those wonderful carbides bristling at the apex.

Great flavor to edge geek on.
Dude, youre speaking my language. I love the feeling of a nice aggressive/toothy edge right off the stones, especially with all these high vanadium steels out these days. Its so much fun putting them to the test and seeing how they perform over time. Love the content you put out there, please keep it coming.
wirelessjunkie

Post by wirelessjunkie »

GarageBoy wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:31 am
Im guessing sharpening time and lack of lateral flexibility (not wanting to use them for boning, heavy chopping, or cutting frozen materials). If you plan on using them to make low impact straight slicing cuts then Id think theyd be beneficial. Anyone else have any insight into this?
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Shawn just wanted to let you know Im willing to test out your kitchen knives free of charge as my way of contributing to the scientific study of 15V :D I will glady donate my time and kitchen.
🤣
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

The Mastiff wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:14 am
Even I would like a 15V folder run hard and I'm not a big carbide guy. One of the problems is Shawn explains things so well I start seeing the potential and next thing I'm thinking about 15V. If Spyderco can translate and deliver Shawn's heat treat this will be a new standard in commercial knives. If an company can pull it off it's Spyderco.
Thanks Joe,

I have two blades rough ground and made for ya so far one in 15v at 67rc with a taper tang and one in the M3:1 at 63rc.

Handsanding has been the current choke point
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

GarageBoy wrote:
Depends on the user, but for edge geeks the advantage is that apex will have it's strength maximized since usually the hardness can be run higher without yucky plate martensite and will keep a nice "bite" at the edge even when the apex looses that freaky crisp point which means less slipping on pepper, onion and tomato skin.

It maintains on a strop loaded with diamond spray very nicely rather than soft steels that can blunt badly in use and have no edge to strop back.

When drawing the edge across something the edge has slightly more ferocity. Feels like carbide reinforced teeth at the edge.
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

wirelessjunkie wrote:
Fri Dec 25, 2020 3:09 pm
GarageBoy wrote:
Im guessing sharpening time and lack of lateral flexibility (not wanting to use them for boning, heavy chopping, or cutting frozen materials). If you plan on using them to make low impact straight slicing cuts then Id think theyd be beneficial. Anyone else have any insight into this?
I feel that's not necessarily unique to a super steel blade.

Thicker geometry could be used to compensate for those tasks with any steel but with severe consequences to the cutting performance.

The running joke for edge geeks is the worlds most durable knife has no edge :p
So the more blunt and obtuse something is the more durable. That's why I always share the geometry when doing destruction testing otherwise who cares if it's just thick geometry absorbing all the love and not seeing what the steel or HT is doing.

So we can use thicker geometry make the ultimate frozen food, careless use blade but it would be pure punishment to those that do not need the "training wheels."

One disadvantage I can think of purely in regards to the steel for the end user are folks that didn't get the PSA about only using Diamond/CBN to sharpen a blade in 15v at 66.4rc.

We have to remember the apex is bristling with carbide particles at ~84 hrc with ~23% of the volume being made up of those Vanadium Carbide at 3-5 Microns.

For size reference, a single red blood cell pumping in ones veins is average about 8 Microns.

So when shaping a sharp, sub micron edge it becomes rather important to not just cut the softer surrounding matrix around the carbides and break and tear the carbides to shape but cut Everything If a crisper well shaped apex is desired at that size.

Of course a good sharpener can make anything sharp enough to cut things but there is a difference one will notice if discerning.
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
sal

Post by sal »

The Mastiff wrote:
Our own testing has shown that Shawn's heat treat does work better.

sal
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

That doesn't surprise me Sal. He looks for highest performance he can reasonably get. That typically will mean high hardness with lowest possible retained aus. I don't think he looks for shortcuts that affect either. That is exactly what you guys have been doing with the Rex 45 and K390 models you have been running.
I have two blades rough ground and made for ya so far one in 15v at 67rc with a taper tang and one in the M3:1 at 63rc.

I don't think you should be spending time hand sanding them with all the other things you have going on. I'd rather you spend the time on more profitable things or stuff that advances your situation or abilities. If you ever get extra time and get them pretty much ground I could do the hand sanding anyways. Mine don't look pretty but that isn't what I usually am looking for in knives anyways. Some of my best times with knives the last few years has been making old Schrade USA or Solingen bowie knives from the 70's come back to life. I currently don't have power tools or a bench in this town home so I don't do much with wood or leather grips anymore. I do wish I had some shop space again. :)
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

sal wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:51 pm
The Mastiff wrote:

sal
So exciting :D
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Thank you for the kind words Joe, I'm humbled.

The Mastiff wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 6:19 pm
That doesn't surprise me Sal. He looks for highest performance he can reasonably get. That typically will mean high hardness with lowest possible retained aus. I don't think he looks for shortcuts that affect either. That is exactly what you guys have been doing with the Rex 45 and K390 models you have been running.

I don't think you should be spending time hand sanding them with all the other things you have going on. I'd rather you spend the time on more profitable things or stuff that advances your situation or abilities. If you ever get extra time and get them pretty much ground I could do the hand sanding anyways. Mine don't look pretty but that isn't what I usually am looking for in knives anyways. Some of my best times with knives the last few years has been making old Schrade USA or Solingen bowie knives from the 70's come back to life. I currently don't have power tools or a bench in this town home so I don't do much with wood or leather grips anymore. I do wish I had some shop space again. :)
Big Brown Bear
Triple B Handmade Knives
jpm2

Post by jpm2 »

Deadboxhero wrote:
Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:51 am
The Mastiff wrote:
Thanks Joe,

I'm looking forward to your 15v folder.

M3:1 sounds interesting. I have what I think are a few home made (by me) M3 blades. Don't know what variety (M3, M3:1,2 with/without cobalt, etc). They are made from starret power hacksaw blades, full hss, not bimetal. I'm pleased with the edge holding/stability.
Baron Mind

Post by Baron Mind »

Fireman wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:38 pm
B3, congratulations on being so close to the production line.
Question is, is that a small or large pouch?
Looks like a small one (Chime in if I am wrong)
What does that say about the size of the knife?
Pouch doesn't look small to me. Taking up a lot of handkerchief real estate in that pic. An average handkerchief is what? 8x8? 10x10? 12x12?

I'm predicting a 3.5-4 inch blade. Under 3mm stock. I don't know if designers have any say in how thin the blade is ground behind the edge, but let's hope so.
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

Hey Shawn.
If your folder colab sell well, do you think about a small fixed blade in 15V collaboration?
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45