Seeking advice on my next purchase

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Smaug

Seeking advice on my next purchase

Post by Smaug »

Hi guys. I'm new here, but not new to Spydercos.

Job: 90% desk, 10% electrical lab
Weekend: Varies. Sometimes handy, sometimes lazy
Collection theme: Variety. I try to get different actions, sizes, etc.
I find I use my knife most for: Food prep; both cooking and during meals out

Current Collection of Spydercos:
  • Walker Lightweight (old) 2.5" blade, liner lock
  • Delica 4, gray, plain edge, leaf blade
  • Spydiechef, 1st gen
  • Squeak
Things my collection is missing: Spyderco liner lock, compression lock, a "fancy" Spyderco. (ex. Valotten w/micarta & bolsters)

Budget: ~$200

Models I'm considering, and rationale:
  • Native - I've wanted one since they came out; they just feel WONDERFUL in the hand. But... it's the same size and action as my Delica
  • Li'l Native - I'm kind of in a small knife phase right now. Delica is about the biggest one I routinely carry. But this appears to be a four finger hold for someone like me with medium palms and small fingers.
  • Sage 5 - This would add my first compression lock and first carbon fiber. Never handled one though. Are they as comfy as a Native?
  • Sliverax - Kind of ugly sitting open, but in the hand it would look fine, and looks fine when it's closed. Plus, it's a flipper, which is my favorite action. It's a tad large for my usual EDC knife, at over 3.5".
  • Mantra 2 - Not sure how I feel about this blade shape, but I like the fact that it's a flipper. It's a tad large for my usual EDC knife.
  • Mantra 3 - Looks good; kinda like a flipper/compression Delica?
  • Centofante 3 - Looks awesome. I like the thinner blade and more classy styling of the handle. But again, it's a big overlap with the Delica.
  • Pattada - This is bigger than I usually go for, at 4" blade, but I sure do love the shape of it, and the slim blade may not take up as much room in the pocket as the Delica or Spydiechef do, for example. Would it be a good food prep knife, or is the blade stock too thick?
What would you get and why?

Others?
-Jeremy
Spydersense

Re: Seeking advice on my next purchase

Post by Spydersense »

I'd put the Kapara on that list. It's a good food prep knife, compression lock, slim comfortable pocket carry, good ergonomics, and looks great!
Time for another :spyder:!

-Matt
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Mantra 3 or Kapara
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'd get the biggest blade you feel comfortable carrying if you use your knife for food prep more than anything else.

On your list I'd go with the Pattada. The Kapara is another good suggestion. Lastly, even though it's way bigger than you typically carry, the Police 4 is VERY slim for the size and is only 4.5oz. It's my favorite Spydie for food prep, just diced some 4" thick onions an hour ago with mine...halved them in one cut :cool:

I'd carry something large like that, plus your squeak to use for common office chores if you feel inclined. I used to pair a Police 3 with my Spin when I worked in an office last. Great combo.
:unicorn
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Why no Manix on your list?

I'd go with something bigger than what you have. My first choice would be Maxamet Manix. My second choice would be Police 4.

Of the things on your list, I'd go with the Native. And I'd get the LW Maxamet, so you can try out Maxamet. :)
Smaug

Post by Smaug »

Spydersense wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:06 pm
I'd put the Kapara on that list. It's a good food prep knife, compression lock, slim comfortable pocket carry, good ergonomics, and looks great!
Spydergirl88 wrote:Mantra 3 or Kapara
Done. After checking my PayPal balance, I had enough for both the Pattada and the Kapara.

Pattada's discontinued, so I HAD to get it now, while I could, right? I figure a few years from now, if I decide it was a bad purchase, I can flip it and get my money back.

Spydersense, you're the second person I've heard in the past week that said the Kapara's a good slicer. Matter of fact, the guy I bought my Spydiechef from said the Kapara replaced the Spydiechef for him.

Plus, it fits my theme:
  • First carbon fiber scaled knife
  • First compression lock
  • First slim Spyderco

Don't let me down, Pattada! :spyder:
-Jeremy
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

You have a nice wishlist there! It's a tough call for me between some of those. Sage 5 is nice and it is comfortable but I don't carry my Sages much anymore. That's only because they have a lot of competition. From your list I'd recommend the Sliverax or the Mantra 3. The Sliverax might be bigger than you'd prefer but it carries smaller than it is. The design does look kind of funky but once you get it in hand and start cutting it all makes sense. The Mantra 3 uses all the same materials as the Sliverax (and Sage 5) and also has the compression lock flipper with new bearing system but in a smaller package. The titanium Mantra is one of my favorite knives and I'm sure the Mantra 3 is a winner as well. If you decide against those two then maybe the Native is what you're looking for. The Maxamet Native 5 LW is an excellent choice. If you want to try carbon fiber than consider going a little above your budget and look at the fluted carbon fiber S90V N5. If you're patient and wait for one of the 15% off eBay coupons it can be had for just under $200. That contoured fluted carbon fiber handle is well worth the price of admission IMO.

EDIT: I just read you went for the Kapara. Great choice! I don't do a lot of kitchen duty but I used mine today to cut up some sausage & cheese for a snack and it performed beautifully. Be sure to come back and tell us what you think.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Smaug

Post by Smaug »

TomAiello wrote:
Sun Nov 25, 2018 8:51 pm
Why no Manix on your list?
I tried a Manix at Bass Pro the other day. It felt wonderful. But I find I'm just not carrying my bigger knives any more. There's no point, in an office.

Even outside of the office, I rarely need a blade longer than 3", and when I do, it's for food prep.

I'd go with something bigger than what you have. My first choice would be Maxamet Manix. My second choice would be Police 4.

Of the things on your list, I'd go with the Native. And I'd get the LW Maxamet, so you can try out Maxamet. :)
I may still pick up a Maxamet Native at some point.

Thanks for taking the time to comment.
-Jeremy
araneae

Post by araneae »

The Lil Native has surprised me; I'm lucky to have both versions. I really like them both. Definitely worth considering.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I certainly like my Native 5, when I feel some urge to carry a small knife. It seems "Lil" enough for me, so I can't wrap my head around a "Lil Native" unless you have some crazy knife laws to deal with. It depends on how you feel about backlocks.

I was really interested in the Mantra at one time, but then lost interest and never got one. Next to the Spyderco hole, I like flippers the best to open a knife. But I was interested in the Mantra 2 because of the M4 steel. It seems like the Mantra 3 is now an S30V knife, so it is a different ball game. A guy should own a few flippers, and I guess I have enough (all ZT). But the Mantras are 3.2 inch blades -- if you are game to consider those, what about the classic Spydercos like PM2 and Manix (my two absolute favorite Spydercos) with 3.4 inch blades? Even though I complain about the small size, what about the Para 3 -- if you have never had a compression lock knife, go with the PM2 if you can talk yourself into it, or the Para 3 if you really want something smaller.