It just takes the edge right off.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The Deacon

Re: It just takes the edge right off.

Post by The Deacon »

Even some plastic strapping can damage a knife's edge. It may look thin and flexible, but it has to be strong enough to keep the strapped items from shifting around in transit, so it often has glass fibers embedded in it.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
500Nitro

Post by 500Nitro »

I use a Spyderedge Endura, cuts through Container rope and plastic pallet straps well.

I also like the fact the Serrated edge doesn't slip along the plastic which can occur if the Plain edge
doesn't cut into the strap straight away.
3 x Endura 1 SE, 1 x Endura ? CE and a Black Pacific Salt. Want Aqua Salt, Fish Hunter and a Pacific Salt Yellow.
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:27 pm
Hmm have to look I am not sure if I got the Balsa wood or the leather it's been a few years. Which paste did you use? The reason I ask is because I usually go all the way to mirror but prefer the factory edge like you have achieved.
Yea I’ve been going after the factory look too, it took a little practice to repeat it.

I’ve found that anything higher than 200 Grit diamonds, makes it look very polished. And unnatural looking.

To make it look factory, I will start and finish the edge at 200 grit, then just strop it with the 14 Micron red diamond WE paste. I always do 1 degree lower than sharpening angle.
“My daily razor blade”
Microtech Stitch CTS-204P stonewashed blade
Microtech Dirac Delta CTS-204P Black DLC
^Wicked Edge guided system^
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

The Deacon wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:00 pm
Even some plastic strapping can damage a knife's edge. It may look thin and flexible, but it has to be strong enough to keep the strapped items from shifting around in transit, so it often has glass fibers embedded in it.
Very true! The very first real world cut (the day after it arrive) with my 204P Military was a heavy translucent green pallet strap. I thought it would have been an easy cut but was surprised at how much force was required to actually cut it. I muscled through it and was horrified to find a couple of micro chips in my brand my blade. :eek:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

tps3443 wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:08 pm
Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:27 pm
Hmm have to look I am not sure if I got the Balsa wood or the leather it's been a few years. Which paste did you use? The reason I ask is because I usually go all the way to mirror but prefer the factory edge like you have achieved.
Yea I’ve been going after the factory look too, it took a little practice to repeat it.

I’ve found that anything higher than 200 Grit diamonds, makes it look very polished. And unnatural looking.

To make it look factory, I will start and finish the edge at 200 grit, then just strop it with the 14 Micron red diamond WE paste. I always do 1 degree lower than sharpening angle.
Thank you for sharing your technique, i hVe noticed depending on the steel exactly what you are saying surprised no chipping at 200 grit.

I recently received a military in S90v frim an ebay seller whiever sharpened it screwed up badly bevels were all over the place and down to 9 degrees per the angle cube in some places with a chip towards the tip.

Only 1 thing left to do even them out. Started at 100 Grit for material removal and brought it down to 10 degrees it took forever... then progressed to the .6 micron stones and called it a day. It has a shiney blade with imperfections Hooefully can be polished out on the Ken Onion worksharp. Problem is when working at 10 degrees you can only use the bottom if the paddles.

Finished it up adding 2 micro bevels first 15 then dexided to go to 20 Degrees for added stabilirty with 1000 grit and then polishing at these angles as well.

It is no longer pretty but it is a terrific slicer will add some pics in a bit.
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

Bloke wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:15 pm
The Deacon wrote:
Very true! The very first real world cut (the day after it arrive) with my 204P Military was a heavy translucent green pallet strap. I thought it would have been an easy cut but was surprised at how much force was required to actually cut it. I muscled through it and was horrified to find a couple of micro chips in my brand my blade. :eek:
I like to stick with around 14 degrees dps on my S110V. I’ve cut several of the green straps today alone actually. Probably at least 7 or 8 green fiberglass straps. Still clean cuts phonebook paper when I get home.

Now that I’ve got a baseline understanding of how my S110V performs. I’m curious to try other exotic steels like 204P
“My daily razor blade”
Microtech Stitch CTS-204P stonewashed blade
Microtech Dirac Delta CTS-204P Black DLC
^Wicked Edge guided system^
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

tps3443 wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:06 pm
Now that I’ve got a baseline understanding of how my S110V performs. I’m curious to try other exotic steels like 204P
I’ve babied 204P a little since then being a Sprint run too and I haven’t had it chip since.

I’ve cut a few more of the same straps that chipped it initially with a little more care not to put lateral pressure on the edge and I find it’s a solid performer, easy enough to sharpen and holds up very well for my relative lightweight use.

The link below may give you an idea of what to expect. :)

//forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.php?t=70757
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Rutger wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:51 am
The S90V Titanium/Carbon Fiber RIL from Knifeworks is also amazing and very similar to S110V if you rather have that.
In my totally unscientific experience, the s90v is tougher but doesn't hold it's edge as long. I think it would probably be a better choice for the application the OP is using it for (cutting straps with some chance of accidental metal contact), where a metal strap would be more likely to roll the s90v (as opposed to chipping the s110v).
Doeswhateveraspidercan

WIN_20181030_21_11_39_Pro.jpg
WIN_20181030_21_11_59_Pro.jpg
Here are the pics:
Doeswhateveraspidercan

WIN_20181030_21_11_59_Pro.jpg
Doeswhateveraspidercan

I don't know about the rest of you guys using a Wicked edge but I always take the knife apart and only have the blade in the jaws keeps stuff out of the pivot.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

As can be seen this was a chore used a piece of Chamois cloth and later was able to blend the edge with a Ken Onion Grinder.
IMG_6600.JPG
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:21 pm
I don't know about the rest of you guys using a Wicked edge but I always take the knife apart and only have the blade in the jaws keeps stuff out of the pivot.
Might be a little easier just using masking tape? :)
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Yep I used masking tape method in the past but Spyderco by and large makes it very easy to service their knives and it gets the handle completely out of the way.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Bloke wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:15 pm
The Deacon wrote:
We get a lot of shipments from overseas with that kind of strapping. It's certainly some strong stuff. A few weeks ago I brought a bunch of it home to test some of my knives on it. I took about 10 knives out to my garage and proceeded to cut about 50 ft. of it into little pieces. Some knives worked better than others but all survived without any noticeable edge damage. I was actually kind of surprised by that. I figured at least a few would show some edge rolling and possibly even a little chipping.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Doeswhateveraspidercan

I have noticed this as well. By the way I love CTS204P it is very close to M390 but better in my opinion. Look for one of these green handled militaries and if you cant find a new on reasonably I will sell you my brand new back up for what I paid plus shipping. I have very little doubt it will ever wear out Spyderco made it to last.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:08 pm
I have noticed this as well. By the way I love CTS204P it is very close to M390 but better in my opinion.
What are you basing that opinion on?

I have the same (very unscientific) feeling, but don't have any actual data to back it up--just my own feel from using them.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:01 pm
We get a lot of shipments from overseas with that kind of strapping. It's certainly some strong stuff. A few weeks ago I brought a bunch of it home to test some of my knives on it. I took about 10 knives out to my garage and proceeded to cut about 50 ft. of it into little pieces. Some knives worked better than others but all survived without any noticeable edge damage. I was actually kind of surprised by that. I figured at least a few would show some edge rolling and possibly even a little chipping.
I wonder what that strapping actually is?

What we get here, the ends are “welded” together as opposed to using a crimping clip like steel banding or a toggle like light “plastic” banding.
Doeswhateveraspidercan

TomAiello wrote:
Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:33 pm
Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:08 pm
I have noticed this as well. By the way I love CTS204P it is very close to M390 but better in my opinion.
What are you basing that opinion on?

I have the same (very unscientific) feeling, but don't have any actual data to back it up--just my own feel from using them.
The exact critera brother the feel...
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:32 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Oct 29, 2018 4:06 pm
Yikes, that's ugly! Can't believe that much damage to S110V on a single strap.

On a single steel strap it doesn't surprise me. I wouldn't say S110V is fragile, I think it's much tougher than some people suggest but it does seem more likely to chip in situations like this. I've cut a bunch of plastic packing straps without any edge damage at all but steel vs steel is a different story. Edge geometry is also a factor, if he knew ahead of time that he'd be cutting a steel strap then maybe a higher edge angle could have helped.

...then he could have used a pair of pliers to snap the steel band. Two sets also works for bigger ones or when they're under more tension https://youtu.be/38zfhvTweDs

EDC folding knives aren't designed to cut steel, no matter how comparatively tough the blade steel is.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...