"Spyderco Scandinavian Survival Knife": Who's in?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
bearfacedkiller

Re: "Spyderco Scandinavian Survival Knife": Who's in?

Post by bearfacedkiller »

The Skrama is on my short list. I am curious if it will beat out my BK9 as my dedicated batoning/chopping knife. I am doubtful because while the Skrama should chop/baton just as well or better than the BK9 it also needs to be able to do other tasks just as well too. The BK9 can still carve well enough (for what it is) and can still do camp food prep if need be. The Skrama seems more specialized which is not my preference.

That is kind of my issue with the Jääkäripuukko and it is why I went with the longer version. It is a great wood processor but I ask my knives to still be good at being knives. For simply processing wood it beats many other knives but as an all purpose knife it is lacking some. In a knife that size I want light duty batoning ability while still being good at being a camp knife. That includes food prep, meat processing and wood carving. I just prefer my knives thinner. It is just a preference and thing and comes down to what we ask our knives to do. There is no denying what a great value the Jääkäripuukko is.

To get back on topic. :) Benchamade just released their "Puukko" which to me looks like the Cold Steel Master 3V and Mora Garberg had a baby. It shares some similarities with both of them and comes in at a similar price point. Mora seems to be having success with the Garberg, the Master Hunter in 3V has been around for a while now and so far the Benchmade is generating some buzz. If Spyderco could produce a Scandinavian inspired bushcraft knife in a premium steel at the same price point it stands a good chance of doing well in my opinion.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
SpyderScout

Re: "Spyderco Scandinavian Survival Knife": Who's in?

Post by SpyderScout »

My Skrama has two grinds. A couple of inches near the handle for fine work like carving or food prep (I dont use neither the Skrama nor the 140 for food prep, as I prefer dedicated knives for that task) and the rest for chopping and/or batoning etc, so that should count in its favor as per your requirements.

The grinds wil most likely be blended into one grind over time during sharpening fpr most users, unless care is taken to preserve both grinds.

Further more, the long handle with two positions for the hand for either fine work or added leverage really works great.

That said, the BK9 is a classic and hard to beat.
The overwhelming majority seem to rave about it.
Im in the minority, when I say, that its not for me.
I was on the verge pf buying a BK9, when I had the chance to really work with an example during a weekend outing.
I dont like working long sessions with the BK9. I found it uncomfortable where as the Skrama is nice on the hand even after extended sessions pf hard use.
Again, just my (minority) opinion of course. YMMV.

As for thin knives, I like those as well. Its outright silly to see how thin my old Brusletto is compared to the current trend for thick knives. Its a wonder, the oldtimers got along so well with thin carbon, when 'everybody' knows, a knife wont work unless it slablike 4V or Infi.
Dont get me wrong, I like and own modern knives as well but sometimes less is more.

As for the Master Hunter, I have an old unused MH in Carbon V. A very nice knife. Not a CS tacticlol offering and with a great shape and size for a hunting blade.
Dont know why, I never gor around to using it. Most likely because of the soft Kraton. The handle no doubt works fine wth fluids on ones hands but I prefer other handles like for example the hard rubber on the Teräväs and other not so 'spongy' handle materials.

Im not big on Moras. They no doubt work but Ive just always have had them around and find most slightly boring. Again, they work as intended. No doubt about that.
About the Garberg; I find it downright ugly - both blade and handle. I prefer the lanyard ring to the extreme aft of a knife like on the 140 and 110 - not in the handle like on the Garberg, where your hand covers the lanyard (hole).

Far prefer the Terävä lanyard ring over the Garberg in-handle lanyard hole and hammer arrangement.

No wonder they call the Terävä 'the Garberg killer.'
Great quality at a cheaper price.
I far prefer the design/look of the Terävä over the Garberg and would take the knife from Finland any day of the week and twice on Sunday over the more expensive Garberg.

Mora should stick to their proven concept; cheap proven knives which work just fine.

Thats of course just my opinion. The Garberg is no doubt a fine knife, which work well for others. YMMV and all that.

Last but not least the Benchmade 'Puukko.' No doubt a fine knife, which Ive been eyeing. An example just sold for round a 100 bucks on 'the other forum.' I was tempted but the Benchmade handle design/look remind me of the handle on the aforementioned Garberg. A handle look, which I dont care for.

Yes, if Spyderco could make a knife like the Bemchmade 'Puukko' with a smooth handle, that would be an attractive offering.