"Spyderco Scandinavian Survival Knife": Who's in?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: "Spyderco Scandinavian Survival Knife": Who's in?

Post by Doc Dan »

Benchmade has entered this market and made their version of a Mora with 3V. I am sure Spyderco could one up them with a K390 version.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:02 pm
I might also add that a Scandi grind and a saber grind are not the same thing. If a Scandi grind has a secondary bevel it is a saber grind. I would even say that if it has a microbevel that is bigger than what it takes to debur the edge then it isn’t a Scandi grind. Knife marketing is watering down the definition of the word Puukko as well as the definition of a Scandi grind IMO.
Thank you, this helps me learn alot!
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:37 am
Benchmade has entered this market and made their version of a Mora with 3V. I am sure Spyderco could one up them with a K390 version.
That is exactly one of my main points.

Also, Spyderco should make their own version of a beefy Mora like knife, along the lines of what we see in the company of Sweden named Karesuando. Darby and Larry, do you guys know of that one?
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

Doc Dan wrote:
What BM is that?
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

MichaelScott wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:22 am
the market for high end bushcraft knives is very small.
What, you don't want to spend $200 on a knife that gets abused and dirty?

In general I'd like to see Spyderco move away from pocket jewelry. Nothing wrong with gents knives, mine get used a lot, but if something is big and tough it needs to be cheap otherwise it's just not of much use. Same goes for a Mora type knife -- it's supposed to see a lot of use, don't make it a $185 Mora with a hole drilled in it.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:14 am
Doc Dan wrote:
What BM is that?
BM 200 Puuko.
awa54

Post by awa54 »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 5:02 pm
I might also add that a Scandi grind and a saber grind are not the same thing. If a Scandi grind has a secondary bevel it is a saber grind. I would even say that if it has a microbevel that is bigger than what it takes to debur the edge then it isn’t a Scandi grind. Knife marketing is watering down the definition of the word Puukko as well as the definition of a Scandi grind IMO.

Well said Darby!

I'd bet that many of the Nordic knives that have secondary bevels do so as a measure of economy, it's likely much more labor intensive to get a good aesthetically pleasing zero grind on a blade than to just get it close and then show it a belt for the final edge. I'm always impressed by Eriksson/Frost/Mora cheapies that come with a near perfect Scandi edge for under $15.
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

TomAiello
BM 200 Puuko.

Thanks, looks to me like a premium Mora :) Wouldn't spend that much on that type of knife, regardless of bug or butterfly
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:14 am
Doc Dan wrote:
What BM is that?
Benchmade 200 Puukko.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
clovisc

Post by clovisc »

Mora knives are a ubiquitous component of life in southeast Alaska, being used by many fishermen and hunters. There are plenty of imitators, as well. The attraction is they are cheap, easy to field sharpen, and semi-disposable. I don't know that Spyderco would be successful in taking much market share away with an imitation unless the price is notably better.... and again, there are already plenty of imitators.

The salt folders fill a great niche here and are pretty common on the water with the boat/marine industry crowd.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Larry_Mott wrote:
Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:40 am
Thanks, looks to me like a premium Mora :) Wouldn't spend that much on that type of knife, regardless of bug or butterfly
The "premium Mora" spot in my rotation is held by a Roselli UHC Carpenter. I'm glad I paid for it. I'm not sure that BM is going to compete well, or that Spyderco can.

Although, there is a market for fixed blades made in the USA for military units (who have procurement rules about location of manufacture), so maybe? But I still kind of doubt it.
EvaGeek

Post by EvaGeek »

A Fallkniven/Spyderco mashup could be quite interesting. A super gold laminate full tang blade with a thermorun handle with the lanyard hole in a useful position...
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:54 pm
The Terävä Jääkäripuukko is a beast of a knife and is definitely what I would call a survival knife due to how robust it is but it isn’t what I would call a Scandi ground knife. With a secondary bevel that big it is just an absurdly obtuse saber ground knife. Mine took a lot of work on a coarse stone to put a zero grind on it and make it cut well. It is a great value and I am happy with mine now.
The guys making/selling theTeräväs call the knives 'Puukko-style knives with a high scandi-style grind with secondary microbevel.'

AFAIK traditional knives in Scandinavia and Finland often could/can be had with either a straight scandi zero grind or a scandi-type grind with a secondary bevel i.e. the secondary bevel on a scandi-type grind is not unusual and no less 'traditional' in those countries per se.

The knives are of course of thicker stock than most traditional puukko, as you mention.

I may consider modding either my 110 or the 140 to the zero grind, as you did to your Terävä.
I have been considering this, as Id of course would have to eventually work on maintaining the micro bevel and scandi style grind as metal gets worn away OR switch to a zero grind.
Please 'sell' the idea/mod to me - what advantages do you feel, you've gained
Do you have a pic?
I use my knives for camping/hiking etc. General camp work, kindling, fire wood etc.

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:54 pm
I see no reason why companies outside of Scandinavia shouldn’t make the full tang bushcraft style of knife that has become so popular.
Agreed.
As you mention LTW and others make some great full tang bushcraft knives.
I have the Outback. Quality is high, price not unreasonable and I really like a LTW Genesis. The Bushbaby and the Bushcrafter are awesome deals.
The latter two might be too spartan for many spoiled by more fancy knives. I like 'em. Less is more.
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

MichaelScott wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:22 am
As indicated by the demise of the bushcraft, I believe the market for high end bushcraft knives is very small.
I thought the Bushcraft sold well (but have no idea about the figures involved)?
For a while there, it was much posted and talked about.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I liked it too. Was near the top of my fired blade list but was just way too expensive for me.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
vivi

Post by vivi »

Doc Dan wrote:
Benchmade also used a secondary bevel and put a big sharpening notch in the partof the blade that gives you the best leverage for whittling.

Honestly I prefer my true scandi grind Morakniv basic 511 over many of the high end bushcraft knives.

I can baton, chop, dig holes, pry, cut, hammer etc. with my Mora. I wouldn't be as inclined to use a $200 bushcrafter that way.

High end bushcrafters are usually thicker so they cut worse, and they weigh 3-4x as much as my 511 so they weigh me down more while hiking.
:unicorn
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

You know, Spyderco could partner with one of the Scandinavian knife companies and produce such a knife using 14C28N, 13C26, or 12C27.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

SpyderScout wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:17 am
The guys making/selling theTeräväs call the knives 'Puukko-style knives with a high scandi-style grind with secondary microbevel.'

AFAIK traditional knives in Scandinavia and Finland often could/can be had with either a straight scandi zero grind or a scandi-type grind with a secondary bevel i.e. the secondary bevel on a scandi-type grind is not unusual and no less 'traditional' in those countries per se.

The knives are of course of thicker stock than most traditional puukko, as you mention.

I may consider modding either my 110 or the 140 to the zero grind, as you did to your Terävä.
I have been considering this, as Id of course would have to eventually work on maintaining the micro bevel and scandi style grind as metal gets worn away OR switch to a zero grind.
Do you have a pic?
I use my knives for camping/hiking etc. General camp work, kindling, fire wood etc.
Some do come with microbevels. I would love to know how traditional that is. I have figured that it is mainly a shortcut taken to ease manufacturing. Older handmade puukko from the days when they were forged look like they are usually more of a convex zero. Most scandinavian grinds end up convex over time from sharpening anyway.

My Jääkäripuukko is more of a convex zero now. Why do it? Well, the knife is very thick and the blade isn't very tall. It is fairly obtuse and it isn't a very slicey knife and in my opinion it is a mediocre cutting tool. What it has going for it is that it is pretty much indestructible, has a comfy handle, a nice sheath and is a great price. Giving it a thinner edge makes it at least carve better and it is still plenty robust for batoning which is something it is very good at. With the thinned out edge it does wood work better.

Compared to a 2mm carbon mora companion.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

This thread inspired me to whittle a little dry Eucalyptus stick with my Roselli Hunter which I haven’t played with in a while. :)

A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
SpyderScout

Post by SpyderScout »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:50 pm
SpyderScout wrote:
Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:17 am

Do you have a pic?
Some do come with microbevels. I would love to know how traditional that is. I have figured that it is mainly a shortcut taken to ease manufacturing. Older handmade puukko from the days when they were forged look like they are usually more of a convex zero. Most scandinavian grinds end up convex over time from sharpening anyway.

My Jääkäripuukko is more of a convex zero now. Why do it? Well, the knife is very thick and the blade isn't very tall. It is fairly obtuse and it isn't a very slicey knife and in my opinion it is a mediocre cutting tool. What it has going for it is that it is pretty much indestructible, has a comfy handle, a nice sheath and is a great price. Giving it a thinner edge makes it at least carve better and it is still plenty robust for batoning which is something it is very good at. With the thinned out edge it does wood work better.

Compared to a 2mm carbon mora companion.
Thx.
My Terävás all seem to cut n slice just fine.
Whilst the Mini and the 110 do on occasion get used for a bit of carving/whittling, they are not used for much fine work though. I bought and use them all more for wood processing and wood work around camp (shelter building, wood processing for fire, handles for the 'Light My Fire' FireGrill etc).

I might eventually put a zero grind on one or more of my Teräväs, as I at some point will have to overhaul the edge, as metal gets worn away.

The blades are certainly a best buy. I use them a lot.
Tried to withstand the lure of the 140, as I was pretty much covered between the 110 and the SKRAMA (the Mini was given to me by the manufacturer, as I had an issue with one blade and they sent me a replacement along with the Mini for free. A nice gesture IMO).
In the end, I caved though and just recently got the 140 hence the new-ish look of that knife.

Anyway, would be nice to see something like this from Spyderco in the usual quality but as has been touched upon, the market is saturated.