Subvert C239GPOR

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
God'sMyJudge

Re: Subvert C239GPOR

Post by God'sMyJudge »

Could you give me the run down or link me to the post you guys are referencing?
Foundry81

Post by Foundry81 »

I received my Subvert today. Amazing fit and finish, Just a gorgeous knife... My most expensive knife so far as well. Action is super smooth. I think I will use it as my folding jungle survival machete/tactical bagel slicer.

All kidding aside, very happy with my purchase.
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

Bad quality control for a $300+ folder, on the first piece the detent wasn't was stellar and it was almost a two hand closing :)

https://youtu.be/Tfm46vfNDeQ

On the other hand the clone looks pretty good...and they even released it on time :D :D

https://youtu.be/LbYPusBKjRE
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

Mine came today and it’s beautiful! Got lucky mines #015.
"No matter where you go, there you are"
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Could someone elxpain why it's over $300?
I mean when you compare to the Tropen for $188 I dont see it.
Both blades basically 4",s30v, g10, although the Tropen even has a compression lock.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

MacLaren wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:58 pm
Both blades basically 4",s30v, g10, although the Tropen even has a compression lock.

Well the tropen is missing two giant slabs of titanium for starters.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:42 pm
MacLaren wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 4:58 pm

Well the tropen is missing two giant slabs of titanium for starters.
Ahh......ok. for starters that will do.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Basically I trust Spyderco to price accordingly. If they are asking $300 for the subvert, I’m sure there are genuine reasons that attribute to a price like that. It doesn’t look like an easy knife to manufacture, requires a lot of raw materials, the designer needs his cut, etc..

The price point makes sense to me. I’m getting one the first chance I get.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:03 pm
Basically I trust Spyderco to price accordingly. If they are asking $300 for the subvert, I’m sure there are genuine reasons that attribute to a price like that. It doesn’t look like an easy knife to manufacture, requires a lot of raw materials, the designer needs his cut, etc..

I agree, I look at this knife as almost a factory custom. A few years ago I paid $400 for a ZT 0392 factory custom. It has full titanium scales and M390 blade steel. If the Subvert used higher end blade steel I’m pretty sure it would cost even more. The fit and finish on my Subvert is IMHO equivalent to my ZT. :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:03 pm

Bear in mind the Tropen has a designer too.
That being said it must just be a cut above like holeshot was saying. Especially so if its equivalent to a ZT0392 series knife.
I understand now. Thanx guys.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Got mine today and it’s just as good as I had hoped it would be. Such a cool design. The detent on mine is ok, could be stronger. No problem, I can fix that. But what is bugging me is the transition on the grind from the hollow to the flat. There are a bunch of scratches on the flat from sharpening. Kind of a bummer, gonna see if I can get it swapped for another.

@liquid_cobra
neuronic

Post by neuronic »

Man, I'm really intrigued by this... so unpractical, so tempting.

Perhaps it's good that this feels just a bit too expensive (it's €350 over here, almost $400 that is...) considering it's a S30V knife with a missing steel insert on the lockbar.
Also I'm a bit frightened by its thumb cleaving capabilities lacking a flipper tab as a safety drop zone... would love to see this with a ball bearing lock.

Bit of a bummer...
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I wonder if this is one of those crazy designs that becomes collectible.
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

I absolutely love the Subvert and it was THE design I was anticipating the most after I first saw and handled the prototype at the April 2018 Oregon OKCA knife show (when it nearly took a finger off!). The knife is nearly perfectly balanced and while it is HUGE, it’s on par with the Military (although much thicker). When I first received mine, it cycled through two phases of lock stick as the lockbar wore in/settled in and then, after seeing an IG post offering the services, I sent it to Adam Purvis Blades to have the lockbar carbidized and install this fancy clip. As I said, I really, really like this knife and was happy to invest a little bit more in it to max it out to my tastes.

Regarding its high price, you very clearly pay for the large amount of actual materials in the knife (it’s a big one!!), the typical ultra-high quality Taichung fit and finish, and the bit that I’m sure goes to Nati Amor of Black Snow Customs, whose Sabotage knife is what the Subvert is based on. He’s also commented on his IG page how much he’s impressed with the Spyderco version, and I definitely agree, it’s a top-notch Spyderco offering (and yes worth the price, so start saving for one!). Cheers, Radioactive :)

And see it’s not that big! ;) :D

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

neuronic wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:31 am
Man, I'm really intrigued by this... so unpractical, so tempting.

Perhaps it's good that this feels just a bit too expensive (it's €350 over here, almost $400 that is...) considering it's a S30V knife with a missing steel insert on the lockbar.
Also I'm a bit frightened by its thumb cleaving capabilities lacking a flipper tab as a safety drop zone... would love to see this with a ball bearing lock.

Bit of a bummer...
Eric has touched on this in some of the YouTube appearances but according to him if the Ti lockbar is wide enough it doesn't need a insert, though I wouldn't baton with it..
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
God'sMyJudge

Post by God'sMyJudge »

One thing I haven’t seen mentioned, but deserves some praise, is how incredibly tasteful and subtle the maker’s marks are on such a stunning blade. There is so much room, they could have written any kind of nonsense, but true to form they kept it discrete and classy.

Thanks for not writing insane stuff all over your knives and just letting the quality speak for itself.
God'sMyJudge

Post by God'sMyJudge »

double post.
pmallon

Post by pmallon »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:17 pm
Got mine today and it’s just as good as I had hoped it would be. Such a cool design. The detent on mine is ok, could be stronger. No problem, I can fix that. But what is bugging me is the transition on the grind from the hollow to the flat. There are a bunch of scratches on the flat from sharpening. Kind of a bummer, gonna see if I can get it swapped for another.

I just got a one of these yesterday and while I love the knife, I haven't seen a detent this weak/non-existent since my first Hinderer. If you wouldn't mind sharing, how would you go about fixing the detent. Hinderer always refused to fix it, do you know if Spyderco would address the issue? Any thoughts on whether or not it would vary from one subvert to another? Appreciate any help.
Thanks,
pmallon
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I think the heavy blade makes the detent feel very weak. With a lighter blade I think the detent would feel average.
Anyway, that’s just an observation, not an excuse. I think the knife needs a lock with a stronger self-close like a lockback.
The detent was the main reason I didn’t keep mine.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

pmallon wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:31 pm
Liquid Cobra wrote:
Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:17 pm

I just got a one of these yesterday and while I love the knife, I haven't seen a detent this weak/non-existent since my first Hinderer. If you wouldn't mind sharing, how would you go about fixing the detent. Hinderer always refused to fix it, do you know if Spyderco would address the issue? Any thoughts on whether or not it would vary from one subvert to another? Appreciate any help.
Thanks,
pmallon

I increased the diameter of the detent hole using a dremel tool.

@liquid_cobra