Buying my second Spyderco.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tps3443

Buying my second Spyderco.

Post by tps3443 »

Well everyone, my cut is still healing and I’m ordering my second Spyderco Monday. My budget is around $165ish range. I really want to try S110V, but I’m open to anything really. My current knife is a Tenacious, so just about anything is an upgrade over 8cr13mov. I’ll still use my Tenacious for dirty work mostly.

I’m kind of Leary to buy from Amazon, or eBay.

I just wanna make sure I’m getting an Authentic Spyderco.

I’m thinking a Paramilitary 2 in S110v?

I’d love to hear everyone’s opinions.

Thank you in advance, I’m new to knives so all comments are very much appreciated!!

Oh and, any recommendations on where to buy online is a welcome too.
“My daily razor blade”
Microtech Stitch CTS-204P stonewashed blade
Microtech Dirac Delta CTS-204P Black DLC
^Wicked Edge guided system^
The Meat man

Re: Buying my second Spyderco.

Post by The Meat man »

S110V Paramilitary 2 sounds like a great choice. I don't own any PM2's but I do own the S110V Military. It would probably be my top pick if I had to get rid of all my knives but one.

What will you be using it for most?
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Robbob

Post by Robbob »

Have you experience sharpening? From what I hear, S110V is a bit tricky for beginners. You may want to stick with S30V if you're just starting.
Spyderman91

Post by Spyderman91 »

If you are right handed you will probably love the compression lock that the pm2, para 3 and shaman comes with.
If you want something with more of a stout tip and slightly more ambidextrous, you could get a native 5 sv110.
Manix 2 is very nice, but carries slightly wider in the pocket and you may or may not like the axis lock.. but I think it works really well and cuts like ****.

There is a para 3 at Bentobox shop with blue g10 scales and m390 still in stock.... I think people aren't a fan of BBS, but the combination is really nice.
**** you can even get a Yojimbo, all these models are made right here in the Golden.
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

If I could afford the Military in S110V I’d be all over it, price is just a little out of reach.

As for sharpening S110V, I kind of want something a little challenging. They do stay sharp forever from what I read, I will try to maintain the edge daily or frequent to prevent having to ever resharpen it, or regrind the blade. Maybe daily stropping to keep the edge sharp.

Ive found the Paramilitary 2, S110V blurple for $159. I might buy from midwayusa
“My daily razor blade”
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

tps3443 wrote:
Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:17 pm
...I will try to maintain the edge daily or frequent to prevent having to ever resharpen it, or regrind the blade. Maybe daily stropping to keep the edge sharp.
Good idea. Do this and I don't think S110V will give you any problems. :)

FWIW I have had the best success touching mine up on the medium (brown) Sharpmaker rods set at 40°. It leaves a nice bitey edge.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I usually stick with Blade HQ or Knife Works, sometimes others depending on what's in stock.

The whole "stays sharp forever" really depends on your expectations and what you're cutting. If you're ok with a so-so sharp edge that doesn't shave or push cut anything, then yeah S110V (and others like it) will stay sharp practically forever.

Recommendations are as numerous as the catalog is long. These days I use almost nothing but serrated H1 (and believe me that still surprises me too).
Last edited by Evil D on Sat Oct 06, 2018 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Spyderman91

Post by Spyderman91 »

I think you're set on the SV110, the question now is you want Fyberglass reinforced nylon handle for the lightweight factor, or g10 with stainless steel liners.... decisions, decisions. You really can't go wrong with the PM2, Manix 2, or Native 5.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

I've had zero problems from Amazon as a matter of fact my "blurple" pm2 was purchased there. Good luck, you may have to wait until that finger heals before the chronic spydie flicking begins. :D
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
vivi

Post by vivi »

Also consider the S110V & Maxamet Manix. They're lighter than the Para 2, cheaper, and for mamy of us the ergos work better.
:unicorn
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

Somebody reviewed the Spyderco Military, and they cut like 1,059? pieces of 5/8” rope. It was a S110V blade. It got me all interested in S110V.

I’m sure S30V is more durable and won’t chip. But, I’m not gonna be stabbing aluminum cans or anything.
“My daily razor blade”
Accutron

Post by Accutron »

All of the blurple models are very good. I've avoided pulling the trigger on the Military/PM2/Para 3 because of various non-ambi features and extremely fine tips, but the Native and Manix are probably my most favorite knives from any manufacturer. I think the Native in particular has the best combination of size, functionality and strength among the USA-made models, but it's also the least fidget-friendly.

I buy most of my expensive knives from Blade HQ. You're guaranteed to get a genuine product, shipping is free for orders over $100, they have a reasonable return policy with no restocking fee, and they frequently offer free bonus items like shop mats and playing cards.
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

I’m going to look more in to the Native, and Manix right now actually on google.

Probably between either of these, pm2,pm3,native 5, Manix
“My daily razor blade”
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Manix 2 is a good tough knife. But the Tenacious is no slouch.

You should consider the Chaparral LW in CTS-XHP instead.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Grab something in S30v-
Honestly they are cheaper, strong and sharpen quite well on basic stones and diamond pasted strops.
It’s very easy to get caught up in a pissing contest online in regard to steel choice and you end up spending more than you need/want too-
8cr really isn’t a bad steel it’s kust less than by comparison but it’s a bell curve and steels like S30v, S35vn, D2, bd1 and many of the other standards are very serviceable steels.
My all round favourite is M4 but for the most part in day to day use D2 would be fine for me
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Get the Paramilitary 2 !!! You will never regret owning a Paramilitary 2 (aka PM2). And if you want the S110V, just go for it. There is absolutely nothing wrong with S30V, and you won't regret that either. You have already sort of labelled yourself as someone who doesn't mind a bigger knife by saying you itch for a Military. I have a Military and don't mind carrying it at all, but I carry the PM2 a lot more. The Para 3 has a strong following, but if you like the size of your Tenacious, you will be fine with the PM2. The Para 3 appeals I think to folks who like a smaller more unobtrusive knife.

So PM2, all the way. (I was carrying a PM2 today).

I like the Manix every bit as much as the PM2, but I would get the PM2 first.
I like the native 5 as my "small knife" -- sort of in the same class as the Para 3.

Of course you wouldn't go wrong with any of these choices.

I am a G10 man. I know FRN and FRCP are just fine, but I prefer G10. But there are no FRN options for the PM2, so nothing to sweat here.

And in the case of a Native, the knife is so light already, the FRN doesn't buy much. The G10 is just more classy. But there are strong opinions both ways here.
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

Yea I really like the PM2 it is about the same size as the Tenacious. I’m not sure if I will like the ball bearing lock on the Manix 2. The Native 5 looks great, but maybe a little to small like the PM3 too.

I do however love the leaf shaped blade on the Manix 2, and Native 5. If I did order one, it would be G10 grips.

If only I could buy all of them. Then that would make it easier.

I’m thinking the PM3, or Native 5 is a 3rd knife purchase, once I realize I don’t need a 3.3” or larger blade.
“My daily razor blade”
Nate

Post by Nate »

Hard to go wrong with a PM2. Mine saw quite a bit of use yesterday. We have a big backyard project underway. Planted a bunch of large evergreens, lots of twine and rope cutting among other odd-jobs.

:spyder:
tps3443

Post by tps3443 »

Can anyone comment on the 52100 Steel?

I found a Spyderco PM2 Carbon 52100 blade. Pretty good pricing at $160. And it looks amazing.
“My daily razor blade”
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I prefer the Native 5 G10 over the PM2.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson