Cheap Knives question.

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
ThePeacent

Re: Cheap Knives question.

Post by ThePeacent »

while not "dirty cheap", with minimal research and effort one can find a set of kitchen knives that will last a lifetime. :)

If preferening stainless, our beloved brands like KAI (Kershaw), Spyderco or Cold Steel all have affordable kitchen knives of all kinds and styles, good steel, good grinds, sharp and easy to maintain :cool:

They are quality, not made of "mystery" or "Unlabeled" steel, and have a good track record with solid warranty and great companies behind them, should any defect or problem arise :spyder:

here in Europe I am partial to inexpensive, but known and trusted Victorinox and Opinel kitchen knives :p

vivi

Post by vivi »

One thing I like about Victorinox SE paring knives is they're super easy to sharpen. Their serration pattern was actually the first I ever learned to put a good edge on.
:unicorn
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

My 11-year old grandson is quite the knife enthusiast. Whenever he visits, he asks to see my knives.
I unroll my Small SpyderPac and he intently examines and opens and closes all the knives.

In my kitchen on a magnet strip are the Spyderco Kitchen Knife PE, the 4" Paring Knife
and the 2" Paring Knife.

Labor Day weekend, James walked out of the kitchen, stood in front of me wide-eyed and exclaimed,
"You have Spyderco kitchen knives, too!"

https://photos.app.goo.gl/UsEekZRf3xeGnitK8
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

We've got a lot of folks in this thread calling £20-30 knives 'cheap'.....And that's almost certainly true relatively speaking for knife-knuts, t'aint necessarily so for most of the rest of the planet

Most of my family would consider a £20 expensive
Likewise, a paring knife that cost more than £2 would be also expensive
No-name Ikea stuff is the way of things.....or *shudders* those ones with the colour coated blades to match your kitchen tiles :D

Thing I always recall is that those trusted named brand working knives in the £20-30 range are doing more real cutting than 99% of the Instagram showponies- and will be for years after everyone's forgotten about the latest knife fad
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
kiwisailor

Post by kiwisailor »

Tdog, if you want a cheap and cheerful edge protector/sheath, just get some PVC plumber pipe, trim it 4 inches longer than Knife blade.
Heat with Hot Air Gun and squash flat. Trim of excess at top on angle and bend backwards to make a hanger.
Works a treat and self draining too.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

kiwisailor wrote:
Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:37 pm
Tdog, if you want a cheap and cheerful edge protector/sheath, just get some PVC plumber pipe, trim it 4 inches longer than Knife blade.
Heat with Hot Air Gun and squash flat. Trim of excess at top on angle and bend backwards to make a hanger.
Works a treat and self draining too.
In most of the Polynesian and Pacific islands, if you were to go up to average everyday locals and ask them about knives, what types of answers would you likely receive? I mean, obviously everyone is an individual, but, from your experiences, what types of knives and edged tools do the locals in those places prefer? Things like machetes and brush knives and also fixed blades? Do they carry folders as a common tool?
kiwisailor

Post by kiwisailor »

Due to the fact that most Islands in the Pacific have a low GDP, the knife of choice is the one in hand.
The most common by far, is the Cane Knife. Cheap and effective. (F$8-10)

The Tongans and Fijians who don't live in the Towns (the Majority) carry around Cane Knives as We in the Big Cities would carry and wield a Pen.
They start as a square tipped blade Approx. 4.5 inches at tip 36 inches long with a handle 42 inches. The Tip ends up curved quite quickly due to repeated sharpening with a file. Some have a hook at the top end for hooking leaves etc, but the trend over recent years is to be not hooked.

As to the smaller knives used, generally a cheap Chinese steak knife (5 for $5) type. These are mainly used by the Women in the Markets cutting and trimming veges.
I've never seen anyone use a Folder. Not saying they are not carried, just not seen, ever.

The Locals don't have the Knife Phobia experienced in most "modern" Countries.
They see and use a Knife for what it is, a very necessary Tool.

And yes, the Cane Knives and Machetes (rarer) are used as Weapons when Tribal or Family issues are discussed heatedly...
On a lighter note, it always amuses me to see Kids as young as 5 yrs, walking around and swinging a Cane knife. :)
kiwisailor

Post by kiwisailor »

Just to clarify a bit more JD, it is not just the price, but availability.
Other than in the Big stores in Suva (Fiji) or in dedicated Fishing store, again Suva, the most High Tech knife I've seen is a Swiss Army multi tool with the occasional Victorinox Paring knife selection.
Mostly, the Stores and Supermarkets are either Chinese or Indian Family owned types with very little selection as nobody buys knives which are seen to be overpriced luxury items !
Cell phones on the other hand are seen to be a necessity (status symbol) and are the primary tool for assistance in a boat being swept out to Open Ocean. (unfortunately very common occurrence)

As someone wisely told me before travelling up North for a Season years ago, "If you see something you like or need, buy it then, because you will probably never see one again". Proved to be very true.

We constantly discuss among ourselves (yachties) about where we found something and will literally race off to secure it immediately if needed.
I even carry around and make notes in Notebook of the name of Store which stocked item as the Stores all kind of look alike after a while.

Great place to visit if you want a nice Holiday without great expectations of shopping..