How and Where i carry my Spyderco delica 4.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
snapshot2017

How and Where i carry my Spyderco delica 4.

Post by snapshot2017 »

I was reading a story in Blade Magazine guy said he never carried his knives in jean pockets, always carried them in front of pants.

I being a knife guy i always notice people with their knives in their pants pockets, so today i am caring my Spyderco Delica 4 in my pants up front "my shirt is tucked inside for the picture".

Anyone else carry theirs in pants?
Attachments
Spyderco Delica 4 Knife in pants.JPG
cptdean

Re: How and Where i carry my Spyderco delica 4.

Post by cptdean »

I used to carry a knife inside my waistband, just forward of my right rear pocket (same position you'd find a holster). May have to try that again.
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes by itself.

Dragonfly 2
, Para Military 2, Native 5 Lightweight, Chaparral Lightweight, Para 3
vivi

Post by vivi »

I clip my Pacific Salt behind my right hip whenever I'm wearing running shorts or basketball shorts. Or if I'm wearing shorts with no pocket on the side of the leg I'll clip it there, because I don't like rubbing my hand against my knife to get my phone.
:unicorn
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

cptdean wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:27 am
I used to carry a knife inside my waistband, just forward of my right rear pocket (same position you'd find a holster). May have to try that again.
I have Manix 2 LW there right now. Chap LW is RFP
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I wear sweatpants (stay at home dad ;) ) or gym shorts (I like to run) all the time so I carry IWB at about 4 o’clock often. Right behind my hip bone. I have jogged thousands of miles with a knife there. Not the greatest location for corrosion prone steels but I have always found it very comfortable. I have tried the appendix carry at about 1 o’clock and have always found it uncomfortable.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
attila

Post by attila »

IWB (inside waist band) is a good place to carry. I normally clip to my pockets, but I've been experimenting with keeping a larger blade IWB at the 4 o'clock position. It's actually been alright. It's not always easy to put away like into a pocket, but it's not bad.

OP, try different positions, not just at the 1 o'clock position. You may find another that suits you well.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

I used to wear gym clothes to work and that’s exactly where I’d carry my Delica. Completely disappears there for me. I’d even work out with it accidentally sometimes.
anycal

Post by anycal »

Over 50% of time, my knives are clipped at 3:17 - 3:26 IWB :D

Seriously, there is a sweet spot for comfort right behind the hip. Whether for concealment, lack of pockets, or preserving your front pocket from wear, this is where my knife rides most of the time. If I am doing something when I need to access my knife frequently, then it goes in RFP or RRP.

This is true for any knife, with the exception of a Military. Knife that size is better suited for a pocket, unless I want to keep it out of sight while going to a public place.
Peter
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

For a few years I did carry folders in the front IWB, but at an angle. I picked this method up from reading the writings of tactical trainer Bob Kasper. These days it's IWB behind the hip.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

In college I wore a lot of soccer shorts and (shudder) Lycra. Spent a lot of time on a saddle back then. My only spydie was a Worker, and I carried it at about 1 o’clock all the time. But it was a compact knife, and once I moved to longer knives and real pants I moved the knife to right rear pocket. I’ve never liked front pocket, it gets in the way of other things coming out or going in.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I thought I was the only one weird enough to have clipped a spyderco to lycra haha
RunnersLunge

Post by RunnersLunge »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:48 am
I wear sweatpants (stay at home dad ;) ) or gym shorts (I like to run) all the time so I carry IWB at about 4 o’clock often. Right behind my hip bone. I have jogged thousands of miles with a knife there. Not the greatest location for corrosion prone steels but I have always found it very comfortable. I have tried the appendix carry at about 1 o’clock and have always found it uncomfortable.

^This pretty much sums it up and adjust accordingly a bit per your own individual frame as I find 5 o clock more comfortable... It's the most efficient method to carry most folders in my experience.
embry386

Post by embry386 »

I often carry my LW Native 5 clipped inside my right sock.

Sadly this method doesn't work well with larger or heavier knives, or with certain shoes, or with wimpy socks. But if all the requirements line up right, it's the most comfortable and convenient way I've discovered to carry a knife.

If I'm wearing a particular pair of boots, I clip the knife directly to the boot.

IWB at about 1:00 is another comfortable spot, but only if I'm wearing a shirt long enough that the knife won't show when I stretch my arms above my head. Also this is uncomfortable when wearing a seatbelt.

Failing any of those methods, I throw the knife in my jacket pocket or right front jeans pocket.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Mr Blonde wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 2:12 pm
For a few years I did carry folders in the front IWB, but at an angle. I picked this method up from reading the writings of tactical trainer Bob Kasper. These days it's IWB behind the hip.
That was my preferred location until I started carrying a gun, now it fills that spot. If I'm wearing light shorts or in a situation where I can't carry the gun I'll usually slip a Military in that spot. I've also carried my Street Beat there.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

My Pacific Salt is oftentimes at that position (1:00 or 1:30) when I want to free the pocket
FK

Post by FK »

Left front shirt pocket,, easy to access when in vehicle or sitting down.

Regards,
FK
Member since Feb 17, 2001
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I have a bad track record with dumping things out of shirt pockets! But a heavy shirt or shirt-jack, that would work.
BigGrove

Post by BigGrove »

snapshot2017 wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:18 am
I was reading a story in Blade Magazine guy said he never carried his knives in jean pockets, always carried them in front of pants.

I being a knife guy i always notice people with their knives in their pants pockets, so today i am caring my Spyderco Delica 4 in my pants up front "my shirt is tucked inside for the picture".

Anyone else carry theirs in pants?
Is that a knife in your pants or are you just happy to see me?

Seriously though, I am untucked most days and having it next to my bare skin all day isn't that appealing to me. For me (I'm assuming I'm like most people), that's an area of humidity and warmth. Not ideal conditions.

Now maybe if I had an inside the pants sheath/holster, that might work. Does such a thing exist?
vivi

Post by vivi »

that's why h1 is great. one day clipped IWB on a summer day will put visible rust on basically anything else, save DLC coated blades. But even then the pivots and liners corrode.
guywithopinion

Post by guywithopinion »

If you carry it IWB, do you anticipate using it for menial tasks throughout the day? I can't see whipping a knife out from inside my pants to slice up an apple going over well at the office. I assume people wearing it to jog, etc, are carrying it more for the unlikely event they need a knife vs a likely event.

Edit: I will say, I clip knives to the top of my pockets when wearing shorts. The clip is impossible for someone to see if my shirt is untucked. I can't pull that off with jeans just due to how pockets are cut on jeans. On shorts the pocket opening is more vertical while on jeans it's more horizontal (at least on my pants).