A question to Mr. Glesser about "the Maxamet situation"

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
qwkzotc

Re: A question to Mr. Glesser about "the Maxamet situation"

Post by qwkzotc »

archangel wrote:
Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:34 am
JonLeBlanc wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:07 am
If I’m not mistaken I think you can find the maxamet para3 but I haven’t really looked lately.

Show me, cause I don't think so...
I got one from Knives Ship Free a few months back and just looked, still says:
"IN STOCK & READY TO SHIP

Current Stock:
SALE PRICE: $206.50"

Here is a link to the page: https://www.knivesshipfree.com/spyderco ... c223gpdgy/

Dan
archangel

Post by archangel »

sal wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:30 pm
Hi Archangel,

We're still working with Maxamet. Some models each year.

sal

So.... does Maxamet still have a future? More than a year has passed, and only the Sage 1 was launched with Maxamet. Still no MaxaMillie. I know, it was a super difficult time. Still is. Has Spyderco buried Maxamet already?
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Wandering_About

Post by Wandering_About »

Far as I'm aware, the Paramilitary 2, Para 3, Manix Lightweight, and Native are all available with Maxamet currently in addition to the Sage (although finding them in stock might be an issue, haven't checked myself in a while). I see that you're in Europe, so availability there is likely different than here in the US.
Because desolate places allow us to breathe. And most people don't even know they're out of breath.

MNOSD member #0035
Henry_P

Post by Henry_P »

Wandering_About wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:19 pm
Far as I'm aware, the Paramilitary 2, Para 3, Manix Lightweight, and Native are all available with Maxamet currently in addition to the Sage (although finding them in stock might be an issue, haven't checked myself in a while). I see that you're in Europe, so availability there is likely different than here in the US.

I believe he means that the only new model with maxamet in the past year has been the sage 1.

I would like to see more models in maxamet, as it is one of my favorite steels. But, I understand it is difficult to work with so it could limit how many models get this steel. If I had to choose, I would really like to see a sage 5 maxamet.
Para 3 Maxamet | Para 3 CruWear DLC | Smock M4 Jade G-10 | Shaman Z-Wear Micarta | Salt 2 LC200N Wharnie | Chaparral Birdseye Maple | Lil’ Native S90V CF | Dragonfly 2 20CV | Ladybug K390 | CRK Small Sebenza 31 S45VN PJ
kobold

Post by kobold »

A Maxamet Native Chief and Military are on the top of my wish list. K390 would also make me happy.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
archangel

Post by archangel »

Wandering_About wrote:
Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:19 pm

I know all of that. And I'm fully capable of ordering in the US. ;) It's what Henry wrote: will there be additional models with Maxamet?

Sal, Sir, since you had updated us in 2020, would you let us know what is to expect in our new reality? That would be awesome, whatever the status of Maxamet is.
Michael
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Michael,

Maximet is a "Mutha" to work with. You'll see various models on the future, but there is a lot of "fall-out" in production, so it is no likely to be a high volume steel.

sal
attila

Post by attila »

sal wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:09 am
Hi Michael,

Maximet is a "Mutha" to work with. You'll see various models on the future, but there is a lot of "fall-out" in production, so it is no likely to be a high volume steel.

sal
Hi Sal!

Tacking on to this conversation, I was curious how much of a “mutha” Z-max is compared to Maxamet?

They are very similar with Maxamet being a bit higher in carbides, so I was surprised to see the Mule Team prices vary so much. Being of the same class of steels, it seems weird that Maxamet mules were $110 and Z-max mules were just $50.

It makes me wonder if Zapp’s PM process is putting out easier-to-process (finer carbides are easier to grind) steels than Carpenter’s MicroMelt process.

Thanks!!
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
archangel

Post by archangel »

Thank you, Sal! So Maxamet was not dropped. Good to hear!

@attila: The Z-Max mule sold at $50 was clearly a promo price. I too am curios what folders with Z-Max will cost. I would not expect that Sal will drop any hint - we'll have to wait and see.
Michael
attila

Post by attila »

archangel wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:41 am
Thank you, Sal! So Maxamet was not dropped. Good to hear!

@attila: The Z-Max mule sold at $50 was clearly a promo price. I too am curios what folders with Z-Max will cost. I would not expect that Sal will drop any hint - we'll have to wait and see.
While you might be right, the price of the Z-max Mule is not clearly and may not necessarily be a promo price.

I’m hoping it’s just somehow a cheaper steel to make blades out of, but I don’t dare make that assumption. That’s why I asked Sal directly.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
TheGiant80

Post by TheGiant80 »

sal wrote:
Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:09 am
Maximet is a "Mutha" to work with..
Mr. Glesser; you are awesome. That is all.