Saying goodbye to my Kershaws

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tcd511

Saying goodbye to my Kershaws

Post by tcd511 »

So was out of the knife game for many many years until I ran into an old acquaintance who showed me his Kershaw blur. This got my curiosity going so I ordered up a couple and for the most part was pleased with them. Until I ran across a Spyderco Manix XL at an estate sale. I bought it and took it home to compare against my other Kershaws and Griptillians. I was amazed at how the Kershaw really couldn't compete. The overall build and superior steel outshine my current start of a knife collection as well as the FRN had a smaller profile which I very much liked better than the Griptillians. I guess my lesson learned is that it's not about quantity but quality. I write this as my new PM2 and Delica just arrived today solidifying my decision to say goodbye to my Kershaws and again focus on the quality of my collection. I very much have enjoyed reading and learning from many of you here.
Calicoast

Re: Saying goodbye to my Kershaws

Post by Calicoast »

Knives: they come - they go.

Have owned a few Kershaws.
My favorite being my edc for a few years:
Wild Turkey G10 in ATS-34.

Since I found Spyderco, we'll not much out there compares in quality.
C
juggler

Post by juggler »

I like my Kershaw Leek: a slim, elegant knife with decent steel. And a good/cheap way to try flippers... and realize I don't like them as much as I thought I would.
Time is a great teacher. Unfortunately, it kills all its pupils.
apollo
Location: A place where idiots and corrupt people are called the government…

Post by apollo »

I did have a kershaw baby boa at a point. I loved the little thing.
Still the best little knife i ever had. The bug,ladybug... are nice knives and better on the edge but feal to cheap.

On the other hand all the normal sized knives i ever handled are no match for any spydie.
Only zero tolerance , kershaws expensive brother have a few great knives. But in my eyes there losing there touch a bit.
But i do wish spyderco would use elmax a bit more like they do. I love the steel.
supracor

Post by supracor »

Calicoast wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:38 pm
What an exaggeration!

Spyderco certainly makes excellent products, but to say that them are at the extreme edge of perfection is madness.
Calicoast

Post by Calicoast »

supracor wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:09 am
Calicoast wrote:
What an exaggeration!

Spyderco certainly makes excellent products, but to say that them are at the extreme edge of perfection is madness.
You know I was voicing my own opinion right?
I don't think I said what you think I said at all.
C
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I had a similar experience many years ago. I bought a Kershaw DWO and carried it faithfully in fact I bought a back up knowing I would eventually lose it, which I did. This steered me toward Kershaws for a long while. Eventually I began to want a higher quality more focused carry knife. After all if I was going to have a knife why not one that is the best quality I could afford.

I had a Blur for about a week. Although I like the design I didn’t like the materials and construction that much. I got done with the assisted opening quickly too. Reminded me of a cheap switchblade my Uncle gave me when I was young. The novelty wore off quickly. I think he gave it to me just to irritate my dad.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
ferider

Post by ferider »

Not really a fair comparison if you consider pricepoint, etc. I love my Spyderco's. My original Manix and Manix XL are used almost interchangeably with a ZT 0909. If I want a heavier Pivot I use the ZT, less weight in the pocket and a better slicer, the XL. The original Manix mostly stays in the safe :)
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I don’t consider price except to know if I can afford what I want. Given that I want a particular knife design, why would I buy one that is inferior quality? My “collection” will hover around two or three Spydercos, so cost is not a determining factor.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

The only Kershaw I’ve ever had is an all stainless leek I traded for. It carries very discretely and is easy to sharpen. Other than ease of sharpening, I don’t think much of the steel. At this point it hangs on a loop in my safe with some other odd things and flashlights. Overall, it’s too thin and slippery. I might solve that by applying some skateboard tape. I have a ZT 3xx, can’t remember the number, but it’s the big frame lock with striped blade. Basically the polar opposite of the leek! It needs a new home...

The Benchmade grip is one of the best designs out there. I love the shape of the grip, I like the lines of the Mel Pardue collab designs. I need to get another, I gave my coated D2 version to my friend moving to Costa Rica.

Glad you found Spyderco! I started with my first Spydie (worker) in 1994, but had wandered over to the bench for the last decade and a half or so. Now I’ve bought 7 new Spydies since late June. Oops.
olywa

Post by olywa »

The only Kershaw I still have and use is an S30V CF Skyline. Still one of the best EDCs I've ever carried. It's one major flaw is the poorly designed pocket clip, but I remedied that early on with a deep-carry titanium replacement. I also replaced the cheesy backspacer with a couple of titanium spacers.
Last edited by olywa on Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

Haven't held onto a single Kershaw. I do think the Blur S30V is pretty nice though if you liked assisted.
Variety across brands is nice so I continue to explore. Of course Spyderco is #1.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

They do offer some great values, especially their American made knives. I have a Composite Leek with the D2 edge and I don’t think I will ever part with it. If it wasn’t an assisted opener and was a little thinner behind the edge it would be close to EDC perfection for me. For those two reasons I find the Delica to be a superior knife in that size range.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
supracor

Post by supracor »

Calicoast wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:36 am
supracor wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 3:09 am
Calicoast wrote:
What an exaggeration!

You know I was voicing my own opinion right?
I don't think I said what you think I said at all.
C
My apologies
I must have misunderstood
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I've found their US made product lines to be pretty good, especially the Link series. Still, I love the spyderhole.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Calicoast

Post by Calicoast »

^^^
All good. :)

#$$$ have learned to appreciate some companies over others.
C
anycal

Post by anycal »

Had a handful over the years. Still have the Skyline. Out of the ones I owned, ended up liking this one the most. I pull it out once in a while just to reminisce, keep it in a pocket for a day. It will do what I expect it to do.

Peter
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

juggler wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:32 am
I like my Kershaw Leek: a slim, elegant knife with decent steel. And a good/cheap way to try flippers... and realize I don't like them as much as I thought I would.
You need a Caly3 if you can find one. It is the same size as the Leek but a whole lot more knife.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Years ago I started collecting Leek's. Was really happy to get one of the first ZDP's. Still have it, and a few others. Nice design, and a pretty good edc. Spyderco removed them from the rotation long ago.
juggler

Post by juggler »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:45 am
You need a Caly3 if you can find one. It is the same size as the Leek but a whole lot more knife.
Thanks for the advice!

The Caly 3 is certainly a nice looking folder, and I have no doubt it is a lot more knife than the Leek. But it is indeed quite hard to find now... and also much more expensive. As I've just bought a Blurple Native and a Persian (the latter one still in the mail), I think I'll wait a little bit before going on a Caly 3 hunt ;)
Time is a great teacher. Unfortunately, it kills all its pupils.