Very DISAPPOINTED w/ laminated steel sprint runs

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The Mastiff

Re: Very DISAPPOINTED w/ laminated steel sprint runs

Post by The Mastiff »

People use them here in Aus as Shotgun target practice when they "wallow" in the warm shallow water.
And then leave them on the bank/waters edge for the herons, hawks, eagles to eat.
We used to throw them up on the bank far enough to not let them flip back in. They are a hardy fish. They are good fighters though. I just hated what they did to the lakes they were in. Once they took root they were there for good. They drained and poisoned the lake I was on to get rid of the carp and restocked it and the carp came back bigger and faster than anything else. No one wanted to eat them either.

Joe
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Trackstar555 wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:50 pm
Another reason I rarely post. And probably won’t again. Everyone is a comedian.
555, I have three laminated Spyders and half a dozen from other makers and non are even. I also have two V-Toku2’s on order and I’ll bet shillings to pence they’ll be uneven too but it’s not something I worry about. ;)

It’s a shame you’re so disappointed with your knife but I wonder how anyone here could possibly help you? :confused:

As far as comedians go, I’d say we need more but like your disappointment it’s subjective. :)

From were I’m standing I’d say use your knife as you would and enjoy it. Why worry about problems you may or may not encounter when you need to sharpen it or whatever you’re worrying about? Anything could happen between now and then. You could win the lottery and buy a better knife, you could get hit by a bus, get eaten by a shark or drown in a tsunami and you would have worried about a stupid knife for no good reason. :rolleyes:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

This thread is getting dangerous, but I'll post up some pictures anyways. If nothing else so Sal and crew can see them. My first impression of this knife is I love it, but if I had one small criticism, the lines are pretty uneven. I have 5 laminated Spydies, none are perfectly straight, and I actually like the look of the slighty wavy lamination lines. But the lines on this one were not my favorite.

To be clear I could have easily replaced this knife, due to some shipping misfortune I had another order ready to ship when this one finally showed up. I looked it over, thought about it, decided I was keeping it in spite of the lines, and cancelled the other order.

I reprofiled it yesterday and the close line at the tip wasn't an issue, nor do I anticipate it being in the future. I may actually hit the cladding if I reprofile it again to a lower angle but I just don't see it being a problem performance wise. The knife is nice and sharp now and I am very much enjoying it. A great work knife :D I hope they do a Vtoku run.

-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

Really, what else can we say ?

https://youtu.be/-DK0aaLNGak
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

Trackstar555 wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:51 pm
Trackstar555 wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:50 pm
Bloke wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:48 pm
weeping minora wrote:
Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:15 pm
I've seen no fish...
Another reason I rarely post. And probably won’t again. Everyone is a comedian. Even sal said the endura shouldn’t have left the factory and acknowledged there are some issues. Yet I get blasted......mature folks here.

Cheers for lightening the mood Bloke! :D Some people have no sense of humour :cool:.

Trackstar, I'm not here to blast you personally, but the level of effort you're putting into being in opposition to most helpful responses just isn't adding up to make any sense whatsoever. The point you're trying to make seems to wander per the response you're given, or you seem to flat out ignore certain responses altogether, making it indistinguishable as to what you're trying to ask or say here on the forum. I respect that you have your opinion, as you should, but when you're given a response to a question you pose, you change the subject like you never asked the question, or said what you did in the first place to warrant a given response and start to come off passive aggressively and defensive towards those trying to give you the best advice possible. I'd like to see you stick around as I do actually agree with your viewpoint, just not in the manner that you choose to go about it; which comes off as a blatant disrespect to forumites and Spyderco as a company (*minus your response for Sal). There are other ways to word your post for the responses in which you seek; even if it is to merely rant, just make that clear. You're welcome to participate in this forum like everyone else who posts and I appreciate your level of perceived quality, but it's all in the context of how you're coming across; just as with the response from our friend Bloke. No harm, no foul :).
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
Trackstar555

Post by Trackstar555 »

Na, I’m done posting. I’ve read other threads and posts for years on here. People get blasted for being critical even if it’s respectful. I explained I called Spyderco FIRST before even posting and the customer service person did not seem to care. I’m more interested if this is an issue or if I was too being too picky. Even Spyderco themselves sal included said it shouldn’t have left the factory the way it was.

Lots of people telling me what I should and shouldn’t do to resolve the issue. I never said I was going to get rid of the knives. I said I was just disappoited with the lines. Spyderco even agreed. I wanted to see some pics or hear from people’s experiences........some people actually paid attention and did. Others wanted to tell me how to return it or resolve it. I wasn’t asking about how to resolve it. I know how I can resolve it before I even posted on here. I knew I could 1-sell it. 2-return it to the vendor. 3-return it to Spyderco.

I knew all those options before even posting. But I have to hear it again from the peanut gallery when all I wanted was to say I was disappointed with the lines........even going to far as to say that one side was fine. Some people here are amazing. And forums in general across all of internet land are the same. People getting cross with one another and comedians. It just gets old.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

100% cosmetic perfection would create a lot of costly waste. Maybe Spyderco should grade the laminated blades and charge accordingly.

I know which ones I would buy.
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

I'll just add my $0.02

First off, you are in your right to complain about something that is admittedly a production issue, known by both parties (makers and customers). :(
If this issue is enough to make you disappointed with all the laminated Sprint Runs then so be it, everyone draws their tolerance line at a different level, and you're being fair in your assessment and opinion (especially given your past experience with Spyderco and their other knives) while others would deem it excessive, wrong or too nitpicky. :eek:

Secondly, I have to agree that oftentimes people here are very defensive (it's Spyderco forums after all) or look to be so whenever someone complains or brings up an issue be it justified or not, but it's' the way the forum rolls.
Joining here implies learning about this place's rules and members, which is part of the fun, otherwise all the fun, communications and issues should be kept between the dealers, the Spyderco warranty Dept. and you.
Being here is voluntary and we can have this place thanks to Sal & Co, so we should show the utmost respect to them, and maybe you sounded a bit too harsh (maybe just a bit in both threads, but having a cummulative effect here and now) :confused:

And thirdly, I feel necessary to point out that Bloke is just Bloke. :p Most of his posts are fun, comical, contain humorous GIFs or weirdly funny pictures of odd stuff, :D
but hi other posts are also solid and follow logic, reasoning and for the most part respectfully address the issue at hand or the subject being discussed.

He might very well be a comedian but many of us appreciate his making things easier and more enjoyable when the heat starts to melt a thread, or when we don't know how to continue it. :o

TL; DR: You have right to be disappointed with a known issue, maybe your point of view is different from that of most other Spyderco customers and thus they feel you came off as a bit harsh,
but if instead of solving this issue with the vendor, dealer or Spyderco CS you came here to vent and complain about an (again true and valid) issue you had,
thus opening yourself to all kinds of counseling, criticism and reasoning, which maybe you should read twice and maybe look from other people's perspectives. :spyder:

Best wishes and have a nice week :cool:
mb1

Post by mb1 »

Trackstarr, man FWIW, this thread went pretty well. You stated your disappointment and got a bunch of feedback and varying opinions. That's pretty much how these things go, only nicer here than the far reaches of the interwebs where things tend to get a bit uglier. The humor was not making fun of you. It was just lightening things up the way Bloke does so well. Don't take it so personally. :spyder:

My Hap40 Delica from this run was also a bit wonky on the lines and prompted me to start a thread to better understand the construction. For some reason I was not clear that the Hap40 went completely through the blade, edge to spine. So as others stated correctly, you can NEVER run out of Hap40 through sharpening, regardless of the lam lines and their proximity to the edge. I understand you dislike the look, but it is aesthetic only, and does not affect the function.

On the carp thing...my dad used to tell me those things were once a delicacy in Asia. I went to verify that and learned something new: "To make the fish more appealing to American consumers, the fish have been renamed silverfin or Kentucky tuna. Kentucky Tuna will be the name of my new band! :D
- Mark

"Don't believe everything you think." -anonymous wise man
tvenuto

Post by tvenuto »

ThePeacent wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 7:23 am

TL; DR: You have right to be disappointed with a known issue, maybe your point of view is different from that of most other Spyderco customers and thus they feel you came off as a bit harsh,
but if instead of solving this issue with the vendor, dealer or Spyderco CS you came here to vent and complain about an (again true and valid) issue you had,
thus opening yourself to all kinds of counseling, criticism and reasoning, which maybe you should read twice and maybe look from other people's perspectives. :spyder:

Best wishes and have a nice week :cool:
This. You can’t start a conversation with the stipulation that people only respond in ways that please you. This doesn’t work in person or over the Internet.
Foolish Mortal

Post by Foolish Mortal »

Trackstar555 wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:06 am
Na, I’m done posting. I’ve read other threads and posts for years on here. People get blasted for being critical even if it’s respectful. I explained I called Spyderco FIRST before even posting and the customer service person did not seem to care. I’m more interested if this is an issue or if I was too being too picky. Even Spyderco themselves sal included said it shouldn’t have left the factory the way it was.

Lots of people telling me what I should and shouldn’t do to resolve the issue. I never said I was going to get rid of the knives. I said I was just disappoited with the lines. Spyderco even agreed. I wanted to see some pics or hear from people’s experiences........some people actually paid attention and did. Others wanted to tell me how to return it or resolve it. I wasn’t asking about how to resolve it. I know how I can resolve it before I even posted on here. I knew I could 1-sell it. 2-return it to the vendor. 3-return it to Spyderco.

I knew all those options before even posting. But I have to hear it again from the peanut gallery when all I wanted was to say I was disappointed with the lines........even going to far as to say that one side was fine. Some people here are amazing. And forums in general across all of internet land are the same. People getting cross with one another and comedians. It just gets old.
I was in sympathy with you in the beginning, as many are as concerned with form as they are function, and you were irritated at the form, but unfortunately, as soon as I perceived that you were expecting a mob with pitchforks and torches to gather with you, that sympathy dissipated.

All of my combo blades have uneven lamination lines. I guess that I'd be surprised if the lines were perfect, considering the fact that the QC needed to insure such a thing would make the blade's cost/benefit ratio unappealing to me.

Might I suggest a Chris Reeve Sebenza or maybe a Shiro? That way, if you get one that's less than cosmetically stellar, the volume of righteous indication on your part will match the price paid.
jdw

Post by jdw »

I have been disappointed in the lamination lines in recent runs as well. I have multiple laminated knives from Spyderco and the extreme disproportionate lines are new to me. In the older runs there was some unevenness but the recent runs are just shoddy craftsmanship. It doesn't bother me as much on the FRN knives. The blade will function the same and they are meant to be hard users. It does bother me on my Lum Tanto (even though I kept it) and some of the other knives that have come out of of Seki over the last couple of years that lack precision. They feel like cheap knives that are not cheap to purchase. I understand that there will be discrepancies but, given the reaction of the board, and from my own personal experience, the absolute lack of quality control is pretty unacceptable for a $220 knife. The one thing that has stood out about Spyderco throughout the years is their commitment to quality at an affordable price. IMO, they have thrown that out the window.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

This is my edc today. One side the lines follow the shape of the blade and the other side just goes straight. Weird stuff but I like this little knife a lot. It did bother me at first but I got over it pretty quick. My Super blue stretch was pretty symmetrical.

Supacede

Post by Supacede »

Edit
Last edited by Supacede on Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trackstar555

Post by Trackstar555 »

VashHash wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 8:18 am
This is my edc today. One side the lines follow the shape of the blade and the other side just goes straight. Weird stuff but I like this little knife a lot. It did bother me at first but I got over it pretty quick. My Super blue stretch was pretty symmetrical.

Your photo is what the Spyderco customer service rep was telling me about as completely unacceptable. She said they have seen the lines disappear like yours and it is an issue not cosmetic. That was the one example she gave me.

I did return my endura to the vendor I bought it from. They were polite, gave me a shipping label and said they have had lots of people call in about thr laninated sprints. I’m sorry. I love Spyderco, my collection verifies this. Evertime ive been to Golden, I have been very appreciative when I talked to staff and even met Kristi once. My experience is OVERWHELMINGLY positive with this company. I’m just disappointed in the laminate steels. Like the most recent photo above, i am not sure how they are sent out when even SPYDERCO THEMESLEVES say it is an issue..yet a lot of people here say it isn’t or get it over it. Funny, Spyderco has an issue with it....and some of you don’t and blast me. Glad several of you know better than Spyderco. Very interesting
Foolish Mortal

Post by Foolish Mortal »

Glad to see that it worked out for you.
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

I agree it's disappointing that it made it through QC but stuff happens that's why you contacted Spyderco. I'm surprised that they didn't see it as a problem from W&R standpoint yet Sal says it's not acceptable. I guess they need to talk to the W&R staff about what is acceptable or not.
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Trackstar555

Post by Trackstar555 »

koenigsegg wrote:
Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:34 am
I agree it's disappointing that it made it through QC but stuff happens that's why you contacted Spyderco. I'm surprised that they didn't see it as a problem from W&R standpoint yet Sal says it's not acceptable. I guess they need to talk to the W&R staff about what is acceptable or not.
She gave me the option to turn it in and have it inspected. Just warned me that they are sold out and I couldn’t get a replacement
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

I can see how it can more than cosmetic. If the sandwich gets warped, then ground into a blade, you can potentially run into a spot where there's no center steel at the tip end.
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Did the retailer offer a refund? If you can get the money you might be able to buy one? Still in stock other places
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut