Post up your Rit dye projects..

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
BEER_IS_COOL

Re: Post up your Rit dye projects..

Post by BEER_IS_COOL »

I had an extra set of micarta para 3 scales laying around. Decided to practice a dye job on them. Used guidance from JSumm.

Sanded these with 600 grit sandpaper.
Went a little nuts with applying a heat tolerant grease.
Dunked them for 60-90 second intervals numerous times using Rit Dye More Graphite.

BEFORE
Screenshot_20231117_191909_Gallery.jpg

AFTER
new20231117_1918201.jpg
paulgvb

Post by paulgvb »

BEER_IS_COOL wrote:
Fri Nov 17, 2023 6:29 pm
I had an extra set of micarta para 3 scales laying around. Decided to practice a dye job on them. Used guidance from JSumm.

Sanded these with 600 grit sandpaper.
Went a little nuts with applying a heat tolerant grease.
Dunked them for 60-90 second intervals numerous times using Rit Dye More Graphite.

BEFORE
Screenshot_20231117_191909_Gallery.jpg

AFTER
new20231117_1918201.jpg
What is the grease for?
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Man that is awesome! Congrats on giving it a go. I'm excited for the Manix Crucarta. I'm thinking a dark green with a drop or two of aqua blue.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
BEER_IS_COOL

Post by BEER_IS_COOL »

Here's the Crucarta PM2!
20231118_195314.jpg
20231118_195323.jpg
20231118_195430.jpg
Last edited by BEER_IS_COOL on Sat Nov 18, 2023 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BEER_IS_COOL

Post by BEER_IS_COOL »

Murdered out the Tasman!
20231118_192017.jpg
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Hot stuff.
toomanyquestions

Post by toomanyquestions »

Echo: some of these projects look really good!
Striple765Rider

Post by Striple765Rider »

rwponline wrote:
Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:35 pm
The orange was nice, but I already had the dye out...

IMG_1118.JPG

-rwponline
I know this is a super old picture but I just came across this thread and I’ve gotta say I LOOOOOOOVE the Bakelite color!! Fellow AK guy here and love me some Bakelite. I even have a shirt with a Bakelite mag and it says “my favorite color is Bakelite” 😂
Delica VG-10, Endura ZDP-189, Stretch 2 SS K390, Matriarch 2 VG-10, Para 3 LW BD1N, Para 2 CruCarta, Para 2 MaxaMet, Yojimbo 2 S30V, Manix 2 S30V, Knife Joy Manix 2 in 20CV, Teal Para 2 in S90V, Bade HQ Manix 2 Mint with M4, Blade HQ Shaman Micarta with M4, Mule in 15V, Delica in super blue/SUS410, Blade HQ Para 2 Natural Jade with satin M4, REC “Avocado” Para 2 204P, GPK White with DLC Rex 45, Knifejoy exclusive SpydieChef, Techno2, Caribbean sheepsfoot with dyed scales, cutlery shoppe orange/black DLC HXP wharncliffe Para 2, Endura VG10 SE wharncliffe project knife and a Bill Moran drop point in VG-10.

-Dave
Striple765Rider

I just did my new (to me) Caribbean tonight and man did it come out gorgeous!!! I hate the looks of the bumblebee scales but love everything else about this knife. I used RIT dyemore in graphite and simmered it for about 15 minutes. I pulled it out and rinsed one off at about the 6 minutes mark and the yellow was still showing through so I put them back in. It’s a touch darker than I was going for but you can still (at least in person) tell it’s a different shade where the yellow was so it gives it the nice two tone look I was going for.
And I fully disassembled it too. Washed the scales with Dawn in hot water and then (with gloved hands) washed them good with acetone before dunking them. I also added a little vinegar to the water/dye mix because I read that can help it penetrate a little better? I figured it couldn’t hurt anything.

Delica VG-10, Endura ZDP-189, Stretch 2 SS K390, Matriarch 2 VG-10, Para 3 LW BD1N, Para 2 CruCarta, Para 2 MaxaMet, Yojimbo 2 S30V, Manix 2 S30V, Knife Joy Manix 2 in 20CV, Teal Para 2 in S90V, Bade HQ Manix 2 Mint with M4, Blade HQ Shaman Micarta with M4, Mule in 15V, Delica in super blue/SUS410, Blade HQ Para 2 Natural Jade with satin M4, REC “Avocado” Para 2 204P, GPK White with DLC Rex 45, Knifejoy exclusive SpydieChef, Techno2, Caribbean sheepsfoot with dyed scales, cutlery shoppe orange/black DLC HXP wharncliffe Para 2, Endura VG10 SE wharncliffe project knife and a Bill Moran drop point in VG-10.

-Dave
Brant

Post by Brant »

Josh Crutchley wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 1:36 pm
Tried using Dyemore apricot orange to do a fade to white but messed up. When I was dunking the scales the dye splashed on the white so at that point I just put them all the way in. Definitely mixed more dye then needed making it too dark. Not really what I was going for but it looks good.

Those turned out great! I like that orange.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

Striple765Rider wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 3:06 pm
Looks great! Well done! You can always add a drop or two of Dawn. That will help it penetrate as well.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
Striple765Rider

JSumm wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 4:11 pm
Striple765Rider wrote:
Looks great! Well done! You can always add a drop or two of Dawn. That will help it penetrate as well.
Thank you and thanks for the tip. I’ll keep that in mind if I do another one in the future.

-Dave
z1r

Post by z1r »

Brant wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2023 3:09 pm
Josh Crutchley wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 1:36 pm
Tried using Dyemore apricot orange to do a fade to white but messed up. When I was dunking the scales the dye splashed on the white so at that point I just put them all the way in. Definitely mixed more dye then needed making it too dark. Not really what I was going for but it looks good.

Those turned out great! I like that orange.
Same here, looks great!
R100

Post by R100 »

Striple765Rider wrote:
I just did my new (to me) Caribbean tonight and man did it come out gorgeous!!! I hate the looks of the bumblebee scales but love everything else about this knife. I used RIT dyemore in graphite and simmered it for about 15 minutes. I pulled it out and rinsed one off at about the 6 minutes mark and the yellow was still showing through so I put them back in. It’s a touch darker than I was going for but you can still (at least in person) tell it’s a different shade where the yellow was so it gives it the nice two tone look I was going for.
And I fully disassembled it too. Washed the scales with Dawn in hot water and then (with gloved hands) washed them good with acetone before dunking them. I also added a little vinegar to the water/dye mix because I read that can help it penetrate a little better? I figured it couldn’t hurt anything.

Great job there! Thanks for the details on exactly how you achieved it. I considered the Caribbean many times but I can't stand the yellow and wasn't confident about dying G10. I was disappointed to see the upcoming PM2 Salt suffer the same beating with the ugly stick but now I intend to get one and follow your method. It's a bit of a procedure but well worth it for the result. I like the graphite better than other colours I've seen people use.

Dan
Striple765Rider

R100 wrote:
Mon Nov 27, 2023 4:28 pm
Striple765Rider wrote:
Great job there! Thanks for the details on exactly how you achieved it. I considered the Caribbean many times but I can't stand the yellow and wasn't confident about dying G10. I was disappointed to see the upcoming PM2 Salt suffer the same beating with the ugly stick but now I intend to get one and follow your method. It's a bit of a procedure but well worth it for the result. I like the graphite better than other colours I've seen people use.

Dan
Thank you!
It might sound a little complicated but it was actually very easy. The knife came apart easy other than some VERY threadlocked screws (which is supposedly a thing with Taichung models. I’ve never experienced it with any of the Golden or Seki City knives). I just included some semi important parts from what I learned reading and watching videos on it like wearing gloves and getting the scales VERY VERY clean because even a little skin oil can botch the color in that spot. There’s some good videos on it on YouTube. There’s also some good threads on here on it as well.
I also am definitely getting one of the Magnacut PM2’s and I’ll be doing that as well unless I just get the fully blacked out one. I’m still not sure which way I’m going.

-Dave
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

So I have been experiencing some bad off center issues with my Purple DLC Cruwear PM2 with the Ripp's Micarta scales I added. I remember it not being perfect, but it will rub the liners now. Tried all the tricks to correct it. I'm convinced it is the scales because I didn't have the issue before. So original scales back on, but I didn't want purple. I really like the all blacked out models. I used a lot of Black dye, Dawn, and Vinegar. I knew Black is a harder color to achieve being the darkest.

Murdered out Cruwear
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
paulgvb

Post by paulgvb »

Looks great! Black is hard to achieve? I assumed it would just be a matter of soaking in pure black Rit for however long it takes.
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

As far as solid colors go. If you have ever painted a surface black you know it needs a lot of coats so it does not bleed through and look off. Of course assuming we are not talking about taking blue to red or something like that which is impossible. If you dye something red and it is in the ballpark no one knows. But black is harder to trick the eye. Shades of black look weird. So not harder necessary, but you have to let it cook longer than other colors.
- Jeff
MNOSD Member #0005
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

^ I'm trying to not take it personally, but I'm a little hurt that you don't like purple.
Steel novice who self-identifies as a steel expert. Proud M.N.O.S.D. member 0003. Spydie Steels: 4V, 15V, 20CV, AEB-L, AUS6, Cru-Wear, HAP40, K294, K390, M4, Magnacut, S110V, S30V, S35VN, S45VN, SPY27, SRS13, T15, VG10, XHP, ZWear, ZDP189
Mrj

Post by Mrj »

A twist on spy 27 LW
MRj “Weak things break!”