V-TOKU2 endura and hap40 wharncliffe delica have dropped!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SG89

Re: V-TOKU2 endura and hap40 wharncliffe delica have dropped!

Post by SG89 »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:35 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:55 am
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:29 am
Well my "lost" package was finally found and I have in my hands a new Hap 40 Wharncliffe Delica. I am very happy :D I will post pics tonight.

My only tiny nitpick is the lamination lines are about as uneven as I've ever had on a Spydie. Luck of the draw I guess, but it's not a big deal. :D Can't wait to put this thing to work!
Glad it finally showed up! Mine should be delivered today. I'm curious how the lam lines on mine will look. I'm not real picky when it comes to lam lines. As long as there's some HAP40 exposed on each side I'll be ok.
I think I jinxed myself. HAP40 Wharnie Delica arrived and it has nice, even lam lines but....they sent me one with somebody's CC# on it. Not really happy about that! Now I'm trying to decide whether to keep it or send it back.
New Graham?
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
PStone

Post by PStone »

If you do send it back, make sure they have a replacement for you before you mail it. Or line one up yourself somewhere else. It would suck to end up without the knife you really want.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Knives Plus still has the Wharn Delica, Vtoku Endura, and Rhino :D
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:47 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:35 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:55 am
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:29 am
Well my "lost" package was finally found and I have in my hands a new Hap 40 Wharncliffe Delica. I am very happy :D I will post pics tonight.

My only tiny nitpick is the lamination lines are about as uneven as I've ever had on a Spydie. Luck of the draw I guess, but it's not a big deal. :D Can't wait to put this thing to work!
Glad it finally showed up! Mine should be delivered today. I'm curious how the lam lines on mine will look. I'm not real picky when it comes to lam lines. As long as there's some HAP40 exposed on each side I'll be ok.
I think I jinxed myself. HAP40 Wharnie Delica arrived and it has nice, even lam lines but....they sent me one with somebody's CC# on it. Not really happy about that! Now I'm trying to decide whether to keep it or send it back.
New Graham?
No...KC
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

DirtMcGirt wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:03 pm
If you do send it back, make sure they have a replacement for you before you mail it. Or line one up yourself somewhere else. It would suck to end up without the knife you really want.
I've been waiting for this one for awhile so I won't let this one go unless I know I'm covered. But I appreciate the advice.
PStone

Post by PStone »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:19 pm
DirtMcGirt wrote:
I've been waiting for this one for awhile so I won't let this one go unless I know I'm covered. But I appreciate the advice.
I speak from experience :( Its why my collection lacks an m4 native5. I was unhappy with the one they sent me, sent it back for exchange. All I ever got was a credit back to my card.
Dudemac333

Post by Dudemac333 »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:07 pm
Knives Plus still has the Wharn Delica, Vtoku Endura, and Rhino :D
Thanks for the heads up! :) Just put an order in for the delica.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

^no problem, they've been good to me customer service wise so I thought I'd pay it forward and help out my fellow forumites still looking at the same time.

So the uneven lam lines, I think I figured out what that's all about. About halfway down the blade, the blade starts to curve ever so slightly to the right. It is nearly imperceptible to the naked eye, if not for the lines I'd never have noticed. It figure it's warping from the heat treat but couldn't say for sure, could just be a subtle grind imperfection. Not anything to lose sleep over, I love this knife just the way it is, it's a keeper. I thought I'd mention it for scholarly discussion purposes only :D

Which brings me to next point, Jazz! Dude, this knife is amazing. I love your design. Such a great work knife for cutting boxes, tape, opening plastic bags, cutting six-pack rings... it sailed through everything I threw at it today.

I've been a fan of the Yo2 and straight edge knives for a while, but most of mine are thick blade stock. With the Delica platform handle, thin blade stock, wharncliffe shape, ffg, and hap 40; I smiled every time I cut something today. It performed the way I want a knife to perform, effortless smooth clean cuts.

I'm kind of mad at myself for waiting for the sprint run, should picked one of these up when they dropped. I've been missing out. I hope they make a Vtoku run :D

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

V-TOKU2 and Superblue Enduras

abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

^^^Thanks for the color comparo pic!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

DirtMcGirt wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:49 pm
Sharp Guy wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 5:19 pm
DirtMcGirt wrote:
I speak from experience :( Its why my collection lacks an m4 native5. I was unhappy with the one they sent me, sent it back for exchange. All I ever got was a credit back to my card.
So it looks like I'm the proud owner of a CC knife. I called KC and explained my displeasure. In a nutshell, the CS rep said they have no control over who gets the CC knives and offered to send a return label. She said they'd put me on the list to receive one of the next knives that come in. I declined. I'm heading on vacation in a couple days and don't have time to deal with it. I also don't want to risk not getting a replacement. The young lady suggested that, for future orders, I add a comment in the notes requesting they not send a CC knife. I told her it's kind of ridiculous that they'd just assume everyone's ok with having somebody's CC# on the blade and now it's up to me to let them know to not send one like that. I still have like 10 pending pre-orders with them. So now I get to call them back and ask them to add that comment to the notes on each. :(
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:44 pm
.....In a nutshell, the CS rep said they have no control over who gets the CC knives and offered to send a return label....
... The young lady suggested that, for future orders, I add a comment in the notes requesting they not send a CC knife...
:mad: that is really unacceptable. I think I'm going to cancel my preorders with them. No control over who gets them? BS. Unwanted CC knives should be advertised as such and at a discount imo. I shouldn't have to explicitly tell them I don't want a knife with someone elses collector number engraved on it. Honestly that's false advertising. You bought and paid for
a knife that was advertised as being a normal sprint, not a CC knife that someone didn't want. The fact that they try to pass that buck onto their customers is bad business and unacceptable to me. And it put you in a position of having to take it or risk missing out on the sprint. That's not right. Sorry that happened to you Sharp Guy.

RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Wow, some real animosity against CC-labeled knives here! Not every CC number is claimed by someone as “their” number (I’d imagine at least 50% of them). Most of the major vendors pick up that slack by offering 3-4 CC-numbered knives alongside the 8-9 plain ones they would typically get in a shipment from Spyderco. Every major vendor I know does this...

For a run of 1200 pieces in a sprint/exclusive offering, roughly 200 will be CC-numbered, so essentially you’re saying that they’re “shafting” you by that 10% chance you’d get a numbered one (that isn’t claimed by anyone as “their” special number)?

Nearly all mine are CC-numbered, work just as well (or better) than the plain ones, and I don’t have to play any games about whether I’ll get my hands on a new release. I approached New Graham years ago about one of their unclaimed CC numbers and they are kind enough to let me choose which ones I want before they go into their general stock. A few others on here haven’t seemed to mind picking up ones I didn’t care to pick up myself.

This whole notion though of CC-numbered ones are inferior and should be offered at discount is laughable (and somewhat childish, but hey this is all IMHO...).
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

A HAPpy trio of Delicas ;)

It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
SG89

Post by SG89 »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:24 pm
A HAPpy trio of Delicas ;)

Not a pakkawood fan? Lol
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:18 pm
Wow, some real animosity against CC-labeled knives here!...

...This whole notion though of CC-numbered ones are inferior and should be offered at discount is laughable (and somewhat childish, but hey this is all IMHO...).
No real animosity here. Just a little disappointed that I happened to get a knife with the number. I don't think they're inferior in anyway. I just don't like how it looks with the extra letters and numbers on the blade. If I had the choice, I'd choose a non-numbered knife any day. In fact, I've passed on knives on the Exchange because they were numbered. I know other people do the same. That's why I was disappointed when I received a CC numbered knife. Maybe I'm just being silly but I paid for, and expected to receive, a knife with no extra markings on the blade. It would be totally different if, like you, I chose to buy a CC knife.

Also, for the record, the young lady I spoke to at KC did offer to make it right. It was my choice to not take her up on her offer.

Oh well, luck of the draw I guess. I'm over it now and I've already stated to use it. My lady was just cooking dinner and we cut up some veggies for a stir fry. She really like the way it cut and the CC numbers didn't seem to get in the way.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

RadioactiveSpyder wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:18 pm

This whole notion though of CC-numbered ones are inferior and should be offered at discount is laughable (and somewhat childish, but hey this is all IMHO...).
I don't think I'm alone in the notion that people don't like writing on blades. I have heard this mentioned many times on this forum. From the 40th anniv., to some exclusive models, to forum knives, ect... I have heard many forum members say some variation of "I don't like writing on the blade, it ruins the aesthetics of the knife". I liked the 40th anniv. logo because it was commemorating something (many did not). I liked the Never Summer logo on my Native 5 (many do not). I own a knife with a CC number, I bought it because it was a rare knife, I wanted to try the steel, and for what I considered to be a good deal on the price, I was willing to overlook the cc number. I knew what I was buying.

In all sincerity I think that CC numbers really detract from the overall aesthetic of a knife. I don't think they look anywhere near as nice as blades without them. My apologies to people who think they look ok, this is just my opinion after all.

Truth is many people have strong feelings about writing on blades. To the point that they avoid buying certain models that have it. The idea that they might get "surprised" by a blade that has what they consider unnecessary and ugly writing on it, might be upsetting to them. And I don't think that's childish of them.

Imagine you buy a car over the internet that is advertised as plain old red. On the website, in all the pictures, it's plain old red. But after you buy it and it's delivered to your home, you find that there are black racing numbers painted on the side. The car still runs, it's not 'inferior' mechanically speaking to cars without the numbers, but aesthetically you are not into that look at all. You may even think the numbers ruin the look of an otherwise beautiful car. You may hate seeing the numbers every time you drive it. You might be angry that the car was not advertised as having numbers painted on the side, because if it had been, you wouldn't have bought it. You might even feel that the seller had pulled a fast one on you. Get what I'm saying?

They don't have to offer CC knives at a discount, but they should advertise them as CC knives. I personally wouldn't buy a knife with a CC number unless it was discounted or so rare that I was willing to over look it. I wouldn't do business with any company that would send me a CC knife without telling me first. My animosity is less about the numbers and more about being sold a product that is not as advertised.

Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Ok let's please move on from this whole CC# thing. Sorry for the disruption! Like I said, I'm over it. I really am happy with the knife. I plan on using the heck out of it anyway. So I'm sure the cladding's going to end up all scratched up like my other laminated knives. Unlike the others I've actually managed to start a patina on the end of this one.
weeping minora

Post by weeping minora »

attila wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:50 am
weeping minora wrote:
Tue Jun 12, 2018 2:40 am
Anyone else notice the "/SUS410" instead of the advertised SUS310 clad? Not a deal breaker, but with my OCD level of symmetry, I really wasn't a fan of the scratchability on the HAP sprints. Still have my preorders in at KC because unfortunately funds are too tight to "accidentally" pick up multiples right now :p. Especially since I missed the Caly Jr. SB preorder :eek:. I'd also be interested in the roundabout HRC for these! The FRN color is looking killer so far!

Fear not!

310 stainless steel is an austenitic grade, i.e. it can't be hardened.

410 stainless steel is a martensitic grade, i.e. it can be hardened.

Therefore, if 410 will scratch, so will 310. 410 will be more resistant to scratches, but we've seen that even a stiff breeze can almost scratch 410, so that's not saying much.
Thank you for the info regarding these two steels Attila! I just received my email from KC regarding shipment from my preorder. It's been a long 6 1/2-7 months wait :eek:. I went ahead and bit the bullet and ordered from Blade HQ since I couldn't wait for the preorder to be fulfilled and didn't want to miss out on one of these! Looks like I'll have a few on hand to enjoy :D
Make Knife Grinds Thin Again.
SC_PATRIOT

Post by SC_PATRIOT »

Hap40 Wharnie will be in my mailbox tomorrow from White Mtn Knives. I'm about 80% sure I'll be putting the Wharn hap40 blade on my Pakkawood frame.