Smith and Wesson.

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
MacLaren

Smith and Wesson.

Post by MacLaren »

Recently, I've got a real hankerin to buy myself a wheel gun.
I'm seriously interested in a Smith and Wesson 629PC VComp in .44 Mag. However, I wander if Smith's quality is up to par.
I see a lot of negative reviews on their revolvers and ones directly from their performance center.
Of course, Smith turns out a lot of hardware, so the occasional lemon is to be expected.
I would like to hear from y'all as to what you think about the current status of Smith and Wesson and whether or not you would buy from them. I would love to read about experiences involving customer service and especially warranty service. Thanx all!
Sharp Guy

Re: Smith and Wesson.

Post by Sharp Guy »

I have no idea what the quality is like for the new stuff but I have an older model 10 that's excellent. It's surprisingly accurate considering the sight setup.

Now I wish I would've checked out some revolvers in the S&W booth at the NRA show yesterday. Come to think of it, we barely spent any time in their booth.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sat May 05, 2018 4:51 pm
I have no idea what the quality is like for the new stuff but I have an older model 10 that's excellent. It's surprisingly accurate considering the sight setup.

Now I wish I would've checked out some revolvers in the S&W booth at the NRA show yesterday. Come to think of it, we barely spent any time in their booth.
Thanx Sharp Guy.
A model 10 is what I used thru Police Academy. It was a very fine revolver. The older Smith's no question indeed.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

Here is their page on the company history, very interesting read:

https://www.smith-wesson.com/company/history
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

The only S&W I have experience with is a 460, and that one has been flawless. It's super overbuilt, and there's no way I could tolerate shooting it long enough to make if malfunction. It's a brick though--I wouldn't want to carry it unless I really had to (maybe backpacking in grizzly country or something?)

Are you wanting something to carry into the wilderness, something for home defense, or just something fun? Do you plan to carry it?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I have several vintage S&W's and love 'em. However, the new ones do offer some features you can't find in the older ones. I own 4 of the current generation J frames, a Performance Center 637, a 638, a Performance Center Pro Series 640, and a Pro Series 642. if they're anything to go by, S&W is still building well made guns. Heck, if S&W ever offers a Pro Series, or Performance Center Pro Series version of the 637 or 638, I know I'll be grabbing one.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Thanx Tom and Paul.
Sounds like Smith is still on top of their game.
To answer Tom's question, just some to play with mainly.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

S&W quality is very high. On YT you can find a lot of idiots. Competition Wheelgunners use S&W. I have owned them for years and this is my favorite brand. Ruger is also very good, but very heavy for size and caliber (except the LCR).

S&W did have some problems in the 1980's under the then ownership. The owners were not gun people and nearly ruined a fine company. This is when S&W branded products went to the Chinese. They were bought out by a gun loving company and have since been high quality.

Colt got out of the revolver business, then got back into it and were terrible. They got out again, and are now back in the wheelgun business, but only in a small way.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Just shot the rental .44 S&W at my local range (not exactly sure what model) and it shot like a dream, despite being the go to "I never shot a big gun before" rental gun that gets shot all the time and never cleaned. In DA it was scary accurate so long as you don't anticipate the bang.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Evil D wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 1:30 am
Just shot the rental .44 S&W at my local range (not exactly sure what model) and it shot like a dream, despite being the go to "I never shot a big gun before" rental gun that gets shot all the time and never cleaned. In DA it was scary accurate so long as you don't anticipate the bang.
Cool. Did you shoot .44 special or magnum loads? :)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

MacLaren wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 6:12 am
Evil D wrote:

Magnum. I had my son shoot it, he'd never shot anything outside Glocks lol.
~David
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Evil D wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 6:31 am
MacLaren wrote:
Evil D wrote:

Awesome. Ain't nothing like that .44 Mag power.
Although, I'll take a .357 Magnum any day lol.
But, that's besides the point.
I think everyone should experience the brute power of the .44 Magnum at least once. Good for you David.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

MacLaren wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 8:37 am
Evil D wrote:
MacLaren wrote:
Evil D wrote:

I think everyone should experience the brute power of the .44 Magnum at least once. Good for you David.

Oh definitely. It scared the pee out of him but he was grinning the whole time.
~David
Sjucaveman

Post by Sjucaveman »

MacLaren wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 8:37 am
Evil D wrote:
MacLaren wrote:
Evil D wrote:
Just shot the rental .44 S&W at my local range (not exactly sure what model) and it shot like a dream, despite being the go to "I never shot a big gun before" rental gun that gets shot all the time and never cleaned. In DA it was scary accurate so long as you don't anticipate the bang. Ti

One of the most enjoyable handguns I've shot was a .44 magnum desert eagle. Something cool about a .44 magnum semi auto. It had a red dot on it as well, which was a first for me. It was a great bachelor party.
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13
Adam
JamesScottRockford

Post by JamesScottRockford »

I own more than a half dozen S&W revolvers, ranging from like-new 1950s models to today's Performance Center offerings. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one, but (this is my opinion) they are not what they once were. It's odd, because I would think that with modern computer technology it would be a snap to make a firearm that's better than one from decades ago, but that does not seem to be the case.
IMO their warranty work is pretty good. I have an R8 revolver that had the barrel essentially fall out, and they were Johnny on the spot with fixing it. But I've heard of others who were not so happy. I guess your mileage may vary.
In every way (again, IMO) the older revolvers are much better in terms of fit and finish, trigger, and accuracy. But a lot of people are looking for more modern materials, a rail, higher capacity, tactical style, etc. which can only be had in today's wheelguns. Smith and Wesson is still the benchmark. Not the best maybe, but the benchmark.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

My next revolver will likely be the Model 69. I have been wanting it for quite a while. I am usually a Ruger fan and would prefer a five shot 44 Mag GP100 but that S&W L frame 44 mag may be as close I get.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

JamesScottRockford wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 12:04 pm
I own more than a half dozen S&W revolvers, ranging from like-new 1950s models to today's Performance Center offerings. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one, but (this is my opinion) they are not what they once were. It's odd, because I would think that with modern computer technology it would be a snap to make a firearm that's better than one from decades ago, but that does not seem to be the case.
IMO their warranty work is pretty good. I have an R8 revolver that had the barrel essentially fall out, and they were Johnny on the spot with fixing it. But I've heard of others who were not so happy. I guess your mileage may vary.
In every way (again, IMO) the older revolvers are much better in terms of fit and finish, trigger, and accuracy. But a lot of people are looking for more modern materials, a rail, higher capacity, tactical style, etc. which can only be had in today's wheelguns. Smith and Wesson is still the benchmark. Not the best maybe, but the benchmark.
Thanx James.
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

The most recent Smith & Wesson revolvers I bought were back in 2007 or 2008 (.44 magnum and .45 ACP using moon clips), and both were big-frame, blued steel, wooden grips, and very nice pieces that shot quite nicely. The only thing about them that I didn't care for was the internal lock. I have an older .357 magnum that needed work beyond what the gunsmith at the gun shop could do and they sent it to Smith & Wesson, who put their best gunsmith on it and he did a most outstanding job in fixing the piece.

Overall, I like and prefer the looks and feel of a Smith & Wesson revolver, especially the blued steel, big frame models. Second only to Smith & Wesson, at least for me, when it comes to revolvers is Ruger.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 12:49 pm
My next revolver will likely be the Model 69. I have been wanting it for quite a while. I am usually a Ruger fan and would prefer a five shot 44 Mag GP100 but that S&W L frame 44 mag may be as close I get.
http://www.gunsandammo.com/reviews/ruge ... 4-special/

https://ruger.com/products/gp100/specSheets/1761.html

That can be had.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

While that is a cool piece it is only a 44 special.

I wonder if it could handle being reamed out to 44 mag? The cylinder is certainly long enough and it is a sturdy gun. I am sure the answer is no and I doubt any gunsmith would do it but if S&W can make a 44 mag L frame I don’t see why Ruger can’t make a 44 mag GP100.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?