Next Generation Military suggestions thread?!?!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MichaelScott

Re: Next Generation Military suggestions thread?!?!

Post by MichaelScott »

The Meat man wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:24 am
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:15 pm

It is my opinion that there are stronger locks and I think many would agree. For my uses this is a nonissue. For me any lock that is reliable is strong enough. I just use my knives for normal cutting tasks and more or less treat every folder like it is a slip joint. By that I mean that I expect a lock to work but I dont 100% rely on it. Cutting technique comes first and the lock is a safety mechanism.
Exactly. I would say, if you're that worried about the comparative strengths of different lock systems, maybe you should go back to slipjoints for awhile and learn how to properly handle folding knives...;)
Well, I’m not sure what you meant by: "…go back to slip joints…learn how to properly handle folding knives". Perhaps you are being ironic or amusing? My query was about the real versus perceived strength of the Walker Liner Lock especially as found in the Military. I agree with Darby that one should use a knife as it was designed to be used and never 100% trust a lock.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

MichaelScott wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:16 am
The Meat man wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:24 am
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:15 pm

It is my opinion that there are stronger locks and I think many would agree. For my uses this is a nonissue. For me any lock that is reliable is strong enough. I just use my knives for normal cutting tasks and more or less treat every folder like it is a slip joint. By that I mean that I expect a lock to work but I dont 100% rely on it. Cutting technique comes first and the lock is a safety mechanism.
Exactly. I would say, if you're that worried about the comparative strengths of different lock systems, maybe you should go back to slipjoints for awhile and learn how to properly handle folding knives...;)
Well, I’m not sure what you meant by: "…go back to slip joints…learn how to properly handle folding knives". Perhaps you are being ironic or amusing? My query was about the real versus perceived strength of the Walker Liner Lock especially as found in the Military. I agree with Darby that one should use a knife as it was designed to be used and never 100% trust a lock.
I think we agree. :)

I wasn't specifically referring to your earlier comment, I was more thinking about the talk I sometimes hear about how the linerlock is not as strong as other locks. My point was that a knife properly handled shouldn't even need a lock. Like BFK said, if the lock is reliable, that is good enough. It's more of a safety feature. I don't really need my knife lock to be able to hold 500 pounds of force. :)
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

:)
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

Team Innovation
vivi

Post by vivi »

If liner locks stayed shut as well as slipjoints I'd be all for them. I've never had a UKPK or SAK open in my pocket :D

Lock strength has never been an issue with any Spyderco I've owned.
:unicorn
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Vivi wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:34 pm
If liner locks stayed shut as well as slipjoints I'd be all for them. I've never had a UKPK or SAK open in my pocket :D

Lock strength has never been an issue with any Spyderco I've owned.

That is a valid point you raise Vivi. I must admit I kind of like the close bias of a good backlock.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
rybu0305

Post by rybu0305 »

I haven’t read all of the posts but I would like a less bulky clip. I don’t like the large triangle. Even the classic hourglass like on an Endura would be fine, it just needs updating. Tip up carry too.
More CBBL please!
Delica 4 Brown, Manix 2 G10 S110V, Gayle Bradley 2, Manix 2 CF Cruwear, KC Endura HAP40 pakkawood, Sliverax, Kapara, Manix 2 Rex45, Manix 2 4v, Ivory Straight Stretch
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

I assume stronger/more reliable locks aren't supposed to directly cater to people who mostly are breaking down cardboard boxes and opening letters. As I type this I'm on a dredge in 4ft seas and an hour ago I had to cut a 5" thick rope that had broken (2 strands of 8 remaining) so we could replace it quickly. Although I feel I know how to properly handle folding knives, a strong lock really gives me a feeling of confidence as the dredge rocks and shifts suddenly as the 100ft barge tied to it bangs against it or springs fore/aft and is suddenly stopped by the ropes or cables. It can be hard simply to keep your footing, so while cutting a mistake could easily be made that could increase the likelihood of lock failure. I realize that my situation as quite atypical, but I believe many people find themselves in situations where they are glad they have a reliable lock on their knife. Even if 99% of use is light tasks, we must remember that it's the 1% where the lock is beneficial. It's not the sustained winds the blow your roof off, it's the gust(s).

With that said, I fully trust the liner lock on my Militaries.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Not to criticize your choice of knives and locks, most of the deck crew on my destroyer carried fixed blades for the reasons you describe.

Team Innovation
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Pelagic wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:52 pm
I assume stronger/more reliable locks aren't supposed to directly cater to people who mostly are breaking down cardboard boxes and opening letters. As I type this I'm on a dredge in 4ft seas and an hour ago I had to cut a 5" thick rope that had broken (2 strands of 8 remaining) so we could replace it quickly. Although I feel I know how to properly handle folding knives, a strong lock really gives me a feeling of confidence as the dredge rocks and shifts suddenly as the 100ft barge tied to it bangs against it or springs fore/aft and is suddenly stopped by the ropes or cables. It can be hard simply to keep your footing, so while cutting a mistake could easily be made that could increase the likelihood of lock failure. I realize that my situation as quite atypical, but I believe many people find themselves in situations where they are glad they have a reliable lock on their knife. Even if 99% of use is light tasks, we must remember that it's the 1% where the lock is beneficial. It's not the sustained winds the blow your roof off, it's the gust(s).

Just curious, what knife did you end up using to cut that rope?
- Connor

Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

MichaelScott wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 9:27 am
Not to criticize your choice of knives and locks, most of the deck crew on my destroyer carried fixed blades for the reasons you describe.
Lol I would hope you aren't criticizing my love for the spyderco military. I believe you would be met with some opposition around here. :D It was just an example which highlights the concept of how sometimes life happens and one encounters a task where having a stronger lock could be beneficial.

I do also keep my Cold Steel ak-47 field knife in cpm 3v in my bag. If I ever REALLY needed it, I could go get it. I am currently enjoying getting a feel for what the byrd as well as what s90v/s110v are capable of. I just flat out enjoy using the military.

If you wanted to get technical, a hack saw could be best for this rope. But instead of carry a dozen tools, I prefer to carry tools that have multiple capabilities.
The Meat man wrote:
Tue May 01, 2018 1:06 pm
Pelagic wrote:
Mon Apr 30, 2018 11:52 pm

Just curious, what knife did you end up using to cut that rope?
My byrd Rescue 2 serrated 8cr13mov. I always start with that knife. The rope is synthetic and highly abrasion resistant. One cut makes s90v/s110v blunted to the point where a re-profile is absolutely needed (not sure how to adequately describe this but let's just say the edge is visibly blunted and neither would have a chance at slicing computer paper). Having the cheap serrated knife allows me to save my main blade for more typical tasks, in which case it lasts throughout the shift easily. The rescue 2 will make 2 cuts before I think about using my military to save time. For comparison, if the rescue 2 was not serrated it would get 30% through the rope and completely stop cutting. I really want to test my new m4 military but I can bring myself to because of rust.

I do not wish to hijack this thread. Hopefully this just demonstrates my position on the importance of having a reliable lock.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I find myself wondering just how much use the military gets by the military. The comments about fixed blade knives in use by people "in harms way" rings true to me, but what do I know. I wonder if Spyderco has any idea what portion of sales of the military actually go to military personnel.

All that being said, with the military in hand, I have to say that the handle is bigger than it needs to be. But I think it would be ideal if you needed to use this knife while wearing gloves. Not something I find myself doing, so for me, the PM2 is a better fit.
2011BLDR

Post by 2011BLDR »

The Military is a perfect knife and needs no upgrades, beyond keeping the sprints and exclusives rolling out at a good pace ( min 1 per year). All the changes some want are already in the PM2 .. leave the Military as is.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

2011BLDR wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 5:58 pm
The Military is a perfect knife and needs no upgrades, beyond keeping the sprints and exclusives rolling out at a good pace ( min 1 per year). All the changes some want are already in the PM2 .. leave the Military as is.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Bloke wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 6:03 pm
2011BLDR wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 5:58 pm
You know, I don’t have a Military (not to say that I won’t some day) and I agree. Leave it alone.

Team Innovation
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

Forget about changing the lock, or adding any weight, forget about any major design changes that many are requesting. What if the only change was the option for tip up (and ambidextrous carry)? Yes, this means the clip would have to be symmetrical, as opposed to the curved one currently in use. Tell me how this is considered a major change? A few extra holes, sure, but the rest of the knife remains exactly the same. And I know that the fans who don't want the Military to move forward will say "Blasphemy, this is waaaaay too much of a change." I'm done talking, and I'll just wait patiently for the day the company moves this model forward for advancement. And no, I do not want to tap the holes myself and install my own tip up clip.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I’ve carried a Military tip up a few times but tip down just seems to be a little easier. :rolleyes:

A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Bloke wrote:
Wed May 02, 2018 7:29 pm
I’ve carried a Military tip up a few times but tip down just seems to be a little easier. :rolleyes:

Ha ha! I laughed out loud at that one! :D
- Connor

MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I say extend the blade 1/2" and that's it.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

What it really needs is a version with an FRN handle. ;)
gingerninja

Post by gingerninja »

Tip down only works well on this one and the liner lock also does a good job. I say leave this legendry classic, backed up by 20 plus years of cqi's and use in all conditions across the planet, as it is.