Next Generation Military suggestions thread?!?!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Pelagic

Re: Next Generation Military suggestions thread?!?!

Post by Pelagic »

Although I prefer tip up carry, this is not nearly as big of an issue as it is for most people. I pull the knife out and deploy it quickly regardless. I honestly don't understand how this could be a deal breaker, but it obviously is.

For those who have the titanium framelock versions, do you prefer this over the liner lock? I currently have Militaries in s90v, s110v, and m4. I want the 204p before KW runs out, but I'm still intrigued by the titanium version. The extra weight wouldn't bother me a bit. An extra 1.7 ounces on an extremely lightweight knife (for its size) is absolutely no problem. This is why I wouldn't mind full liners as well.
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Methinks this thread is a nudge.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I would buy more Millies if they offered 4 way clip...many more.

As far as a new Millie with a different lock and other design changes, I have no real interest. I think that the Millie is pretty much perfect as is, I just want to be able to carry it the way I like.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

The same debate rages often enough and it’ll die down till next time. What remains though is a staunch following of a Spyderco icon.

At the end of the day this knife’s as perfect as any utilitarian large folder can be. A credit to the genius who designed it. And I wonder what he thinks of the critique?

You’ll never please everyone but in a clean, lightweight package by default the Mighty Military affords great purchase for brute force cuts at the heel, long slicing cuts through length and a splinter picking tip. Honest question; What more could any one ask for from a EDC folder?

Dear Mr Glesser, thank you for The Might Military! :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

If a person really wants tip-up carry, it seems like one could make a clip that fits a G-10 Military by bolting through the lanyard hole with hooks (bent metal) wrapped around the butt to prevent pivoting.
jacala

Post by jacala »

If it's called a MILITARY , then make it suitable for Military use.
Safety is first priority: tip down.Does it really need to be "quick draw"(tip up)?
Rustproof(iow low maintainance)= H1 Easily re-sharpened.
Is there a limit of what it might be used for ?
Choice of Serrated or Plain.
Non Slip on handle and choils etc.
Black Blade and Camo/OD Handle for non reflection.
Larger lanyard hole.
qwkzotc

Post by qwkzotc »

wrdwrght wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 4:43 pm
Methinks this thread is a nudge.
You make the real point here I think. As much passion as I have for the Military as it is, and only look to different steels as change-worthy, the reality is we would not have a PM2, Delica 4, Endura 4, Salt 2, Techno 2 etc. if it were not for the vision, creativity and willingness to change/improve exhibited by the Spyderco team. And it is not lost on me that much of that vision and creativity is spurred by the users of this forum, and, of course, the openness of the team to read, listen and respond. Thanks all for reminding me that change and moving forward is fundamental.
shaztec

Post by shaztec »

Another vote for the 4 way option. As a lefty the liner lock feels natural to me, not so much the compression lock.
shaztecs_knives on instagram
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

jacala wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:18 pm
If it's called a MILITARY , then make it suitable for Military use.
Safety is first priority: tip down.Does it really need to be "quick draw"(tip up)?
Rustproof(iow low maintainance)= H1 Easily re-sharpened.
Is there a limit of what it might be used for ?
Choice of Serrated or Plain.
Non Slip on handle and choils etc.
Black Blade and Camo/OD Handle for non reflection.
Larger lanyard hole.
I agree with most everything this guy says ;) The old expression "You Stole My Thunder" couldn't be more apropos in this case. I most definitely want it to return in full Spyderedge would be my utmost priority at this time. As far as the G-10 handle>> every C-36 Military model I've ever owned was fine with the function of the handle/scales. It's a relatively easy model to clean, sharpen and maintain.

Like I've said many times>> "If It Isn't Broke Then Let's Not Try To Fix It" <>> now that doesn't mean that I'm not open to an improvement which would greatly enhance overall performance because I always want to leave that option wide open with any of Spyderco's great models. Also it's one model that I've always truly thought was suitable for combo edge. Yeah the lanyard hole could certainly stand to be just a tad bit bigger in diameter.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

jacala wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:18 pm
If it's called a MILITARY , then make it suitable for Military use
Probably shouldn't get hung up on the name.

I believe Sal designed the Millie not for the military's use, per se, but for his son Eric should he serve in the military.

Nevertheless, had my 204P Millie been available in 1968, I would have carried it into the jungles of Vietnam, And I have little doubt it would still be as serviceable as the one (my first) I bought several months ago.

wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:14 am
Chris_P_Bacon wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:25 am
With so many opposed to changing the Military.

What I think that I need (want? :D) is a PARA 2 XL or simply call it the PARA XL

Why is that? It already has most of the features I love; Compression lock? CHECK! Tip up? CHECK!
Make it with a longer blade, shaped like the military. Bud-da-bing problem solved, keeps everyone happy? I vote K390 on the 1st model.

Maybe not everyone happy, but. What say you?

What's funny is the Para 2 actually IS the Para XL, because the Para 3 is really more the size of the original Paramilitary, which was the original smaller Military, so the 2 is already a bumped up size version of the original Para and the Para 3, so what you're asking for is a bumped up size of an already bumped up size, so a Para XXL ;)
I'm sort of resistant to messing with iconic Spydies, but this exchange bears food for thought.

I guess what I object to is pressing Sal for custom knives derived from these icons, as if they aren't good enough, and as if we know better than him.

But, Sal does have his "no". And that should be good enough for me.

I really have no complaints about any second-, third-, or fourth-generation Spydie I own.

phaust

Post by phaust »

I'm against any change that would increase the weight. Turning into a 5 or 6 ounce knife would just make it another just-ok big knife in that it loses one of its greatest features. Changing the lock to compression or back lock and making it four way carry (because Spyderco doesn't like doing clips inset threads in the g10) will definitely increase the weight.
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

Would love to see either a brown G10/s35vn Mille or an AEB-L with CF or dark grey G10. Tip down is fine.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I think that "WrdWrght" hit the nail on the head when he said he would be resistant to making changes to any Iconic Spyder>> and in many ways I totally agree with him. Doing some minor modifications however like making a somewhat larger lanyard hole wouldn't deviate from the original design of the C-36 Military model.

The C-36 Military is truly the quintessential model for introducing newer/better blade steels and to introduce new concepts of handle/scales like the digital camo for instance. When you consider minor modifications such as those you are not going to alter the intent of the original design>> actually you are enhancing it rather than making radical changes.

And just because the knife bears the name/title of the C-36 Military model doesn't confine it to only being used in Military operations. The C-36 Military is probably one of the most versatile and accommodating folders Spyderco ever made. To me it's such a great design that it can even be used in Military operations as well as dozens of other practical uses and I wouldn't qualify just any knife for that criteria.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

phaust wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:23 pm
I'm against any change that would increase the weight. Turning into a 5 or 6 ounce knife would just make it another just-ok big knife in that it loses one of its greatest features. Changing the lock to compression or back lock and making it four way carry (because Spyderco doesn't like doing clips inset threads in the g10) will definitely increase the weight.
I believe they are currently using inserts on some linerless g10 models made in golden.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

I have a Military with a liner lock and prefer the compression lock. If the compression lock is offered I'll buy it.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
vivi

Post by vivi »

If they can change two things about the Military it'd go back to being the best EDC knife IMO.

1. Four way clip.

2. Locking mechanism that features a stronger self close (backlock, ball lock, szabo style compression lock)

In every other way it's essentially perfect in my eyes. I go with a Large Voyager, Pacific Salt or Manix XL instead because they feature stronger self closes and carry tip up.

I am not interested in owning a Millie that weighs over 4.5oz. The lightweight nature of the knife is a big part of the appeal to me.
:unicorn
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

It seems implicit from some posts in this thread that the Military's Walker Liner Lock is thought to be inferior to the other types suggested, like a compression lock. Is this factually true, or supposition?
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

^
It lacks the fun factor of the comp, cbbl or axis lock so to some it may be inferior in that sense. To me that isn’t a factor but I understand that to others it is.

It is my opinion that there are stronger locks and I think many would agree. For my uses this is a nonissue. For me any lock that is reliable is strong enough. I just use my knives for normal cutting tasks and more or less treat every folder like it is a slip joint. By that I mean that I expect a lock to work but I dont 100% rely on it. Cutting technique comes first and the lock is a safety mechanism.

Then comes reliability. I have had one and only one Spydie with a faulty lock and it was in fact a Military. It went through W&R and had the liner replaced and has been 100% solid ever since. Did that rattle my confidence in liner locks? I suppose it did make me think that they have the potential to be less reliable. This is probably exacerbated by some experiences with crappy knives years ago with sloppy liner locks. The interesting thing is that that Military is my Cruwear Military which has been my most carried knife over the past two years so obviously I trust it.

I appreciate a bias towards closing. Locks that rely on a ball detent lack that. I carry my Military right rear pocket so I don’t worry about that much. If/when we get a Military2 I would be pleased to see a lock with a bias towards closing. I am not positive but I think that the stop lock may offer that. Anxious to see that lock in action.

I am right handed but not to forget our quirky left handed Spydie brothers there is always that too. There are locks that are inherently ambidextrous. The backlock and cbbl offer that but come with added weight and the cbbl takes up a bit of space and won’t fit in every knife.

My point is that it is a perfectly functional lock when it works and it offers the possibility for a lightweight knife. Just do a few light spine whacks and it if holds then don’t worry about it. Even though I am not a liner lock fan the Military is still my favorite knife.

Sorry for being long winded. It is a gift of mine. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:15 pm

It is my opinion that there are stronger locks and I think many would agree. For my uses this is a nonissue. For me any lock that is reliable is strong enough. I just use my knives for normal cutting tasks and more or less treat every folder like it is a slip joint. By that I mean that I expect a lock to work but I dont 100% rely on it. Cutting technique comes first and the lock is a safety mechanism.
Exactly. I would say, if you're that worried about the comparative strengths of different lock systems, maybe you should go back to slipjoints for awhile and learn how to properly handle folding knives...;)
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"