Next Generation Military suggestions thread?!?!

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bdubs808

Re: Next Generation Military suggestions thread?!?!

Post by Bdubs808 »

The "pocket clip's extra holes" issue, or as I call it "not versatile pocket clip" issue is so talked about that everyone seems to forget about the size of the finger choil (small) on the Military. Ergonomically it works fine, but I think most people could agree that a slightly bigger, or more prominent choil would enhance the user's experience.
Bdubs808

Post by Bdubs808 »

Back to the clip holes. I find it strange that so many people are offended by the idea of 9 tiny extra holes. I perceive this as aesthetics over functionality, and Spyderco have for many of their products focused on function over form. Customers having more options on a serious user knife seems more reasonable than trying to preserve something aesthetically pleasing (Yes, I do think the knife looks amazing without the extra holes). It's easy for me to ignore or forget about the holes when the knife is in my hand being used; I prefer to look at the blade's tip and edge and whatever I'm cutting.
Pelagic

Post by Pelagic »

I do not want the current design of the Military to go anywhere. I would absolutely dread the day that it gets discontinued.

With that said, can a Military 2 be introduced and have both available at once? A Military 2 would undoubtedly hurt the sales of the Military, but overall, it may be insignificant from a financial standpoint (for spyderco). Maybe this is too difficult?

I am imagining almost a PM2 XL but with a handle more like that of the Military... 4 way clip, full liners, possibly the compression lock, open construction, maybe a slightly more robust pivot and larger washers, with a blade extremely similar to the Military. I can't imagine it not being a huge seller.

Perhaps there would have to be some key differences so that the original Military's popularity wouldn't plummet. We wouldn't want the Military to end up like the PM1....
Pancake wrote:
Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:20 pm
Are you a magician? :eek:
Nate wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2019 4:32 pm
You're the lone wolf of truth howling into the winds of ignorance
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:17 pm
You are a nobody got it?
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

After my usual plea for a tip up Military I took another look at the Police. I suppose there is an option if you want a big knife with the option for tip up carry. I had always dismissed the Police because it is so huge, but actually the knife closed is exactly the same size as the military, and maybe a tad slimmer. Then there is the back-lock which I used to hate, but am coming to view differently. No lanyard hole though. The backlock tends to keep the knife closed due to intrinsic spring action. Anyway, I decided the Police was worth another look. The K390 steel is all the more a reason, though I would rather see it in other knives.

This business of tip down carry and fast deployment is an odd argument. Maybe so if you only carry that knife and build muscle memory. My argument is that I carry other knives and most of them are tip up. So under a stress situation do you want to have your tip up muscle memory kick in when you are carrying a tip down knife? Mall ninja stuff for most of us I suppose, but very significant if you are really thinking of defensive carry. Carry in one place the same way all the time, that's what they say.
blendergasket

Post by blendergasket »

Ambidextrous clip holes.
qwkzotc

Post by qwkzotc »

Another vote for leave it as it is, especially the Liner lock. Period. It is the perfect knife. Leave it alone!

And, yes, I do have 23 of them so give me 23 votes.
krikun98

Post by krikun98 »

No full liners, please. It won't add much to the strength, but the weight gain will be noticeable. There are 4-way clips on linerless knives.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Tucson Tom wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:51 pm
This business of tip down carry and fast deployment is an odd argument. Maybe so if you only carry that knife and build muscle memory. My argument is that I carry other knives and most of them are tip up. So under a stress situation do you want to have your tip up muscle memory kick in when you are carrying a tip down knife? Mall ninja stuff for most of us I suppose, but very significant if you are really thinking of defensive carry. Carry in one place the same way all the time, that's what they say.
If you are carrying a knife for self defense why would you carry a folder and introduce the added complexity of having to unclip it from a pocket or waistband, get it open and properly oriented? There are three extra ways to go wrong. To me a folding knife would be a last ditch resort when things have gone bad. If I was really concerned with knives as self defense tools, and had enough training to be effective and not cut myself, I would want as few complications as possible and go to a fixed blade designed for that purpose.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Chris_P_Bacon

Post by Chris_P_Bacon »

With so many opposed to changing the Military.

What I think that I need (want? :D) is a PARA 2 XL or simply call it the PARA XL

Why is that? It already has most of the features I love; Compression lock? CHECK! Tip up? CHECK!
Make it with a longer blade, shaped like the military. Bud-da-bing problem solved, keeps everyone happy? I vote K390 on the 1st model.

Maybe not everyone happy, but. What say you?
Currently have 163 :spyder: 's & 41 different steels.
Bench Stones Atoma Diamond Plate 140,400,600,1200. Naniwa Chosera 400,800,1000,3000,5000.
Shapton Glass 1000,6000. Suehiro Rika 5000. Shapton Pro 320,1000,2000,5000,8000.
Naniwa Bonded Diamond 400,600,800,1000,3000,6000. Venev Gen2 OCB Combo Diamond 800/1200.
Spyderco 306UF, 306CBN. Doublestuff2 303FCBN2, & 204MF Sharpmaker w/204CBN for Spidie Edges.
Want List Steels 15V, S125V, K490, M398, Magnacut, S390, SRS-15, Vanadis 8, Vanax SC, Vancron SC,
Chris_P_Bacon

Post by Chris_P_Bacon »

Obviously the choil is important to some. As well as the lanyard tube placement, to allow for deep carry.
Done right, I can see this PXL being a great sprint knife.
Currently have 163 :spyder: 's & 41 different steels.
Bench Stones Atoma Diamond Plate 140,400,600,1200. Naniwa Chosera 400,800,1000,3000,5000.
Shapton Glass 1000,6000. Suehiro Rika 5000. Shapton Pro 320,1000,2000,5000,8000.
Naniwa Bonded Diamond 400,600,800,1000,3000,6000. Venev Gen2 OCB Combo Diamond 800/1200.
Spyderco 306UF, 306CBN. Doublestuff2 303FCBN2, & 204MF Sharpmaker w/204CBN for Spidie Edges.
Want List Steels 15V, S125V, K490, M398, Magnacut, S390, SRS-15, Vanadis 8, Vanax SC, Vancron SC,
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Chris_P_Bacon wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:25 am

What I think that I need (want? :D) is a PARA 2 XL or simply call it the PARA XL

Why is that? It already has most of the features I love; Compression lock? CHECK! Tip up? CHECK!
Make it with a longer blade, shaped like the military. Bud-da-bing problem solved, keeps everyone happy? I vote K390 on the 1st model.

What's funny is the Para 2 actually IS the Para XL, because the Para 3 is really more the size of the original Paramilitary, which was the original smaller Military, so the 2 is already a bumped up size version of the original Para and the Para 3, so what you're asking for is a bumped up size of an already bumped up size, so a Para XXL ;)
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Chris_P_Bacon wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 9:25 am

Yep, I think you have nailed it. But honestly the blade on the PM2 is big enough, so maybe we already have what we want.
Hey, wait a minute .......
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

It all depends on what you are looking for. The Military size with changes in basic design features loved by many, or a slightly smaller version with those differences: lock, clip, etc. — the Para Military 2. I really don’t see the need to change the Military but it would seem that an optional offering sporting 4-way clip and a compression lock wouldn’t compromise the original design that much. Question is, would it be a viable business decision?
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

Team Innovation
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I wouldn't want to see any changes that increase the weight. I don't usually care much about the weight of my knives but for me the power to weight ratio on the Military is one of the things that make it great.

My issue with changing the lock is that, with the exception of the compression lock, it will likely add weight.

My issue with changing the clip options is that a four way clip will require either a straight clip or, I suppose, selling it with two clips that curve each way. I like the curved clip on the Military and going four way will likely result in the standard straight hourglass clip being used. Not a huge deal but I prefer the current clip.

If going to a four way clip means full liners then I again don't really want the added weight.

A comp lock Military would be great though.

In the end, like D said, I have enough Militarys to last me the rest of my life so I am fine either way.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
anycal

Post by anycal »

I am very used to the tip down carry of the Military, even though I prefer tip up for every other knife I have. It really shines when it comes to pulling it out in various active positions from your rear pocket, like hunched over something, kneeling down, or even sitting. Rear pocket or IWB for me.

The other thing about the Military clip. It serves function over the pivot screw. Having that same somewhat large clip at the end of the knife just does not look good. Especially with the center hole.

Let the dice fall where they may. If there is something new, I will try it. But in the current configuration, both the Military and PM2 are two of my favorite.

Peter
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I actually love the choil on the Military. I wish more of them were that subtle. It is there when you need it and in a way it is not there when you don't.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

The Military's choil reveals itself as perfect when you choke down. It's not even there when you don't, hence also perfect. No other choiled Spydie I own is this perfect.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

wrdwrght wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:07 pm
The Military's choil reveals itself as perfect when you choke down. It's not even there when you don't, hence also perfect. No other choiled Spydie I own is this perfect.

Have to agree, it works well enough either way. If it ends up costing even a little bit of edge then it's not worth making it bigger, I'd just assume remove the choil completely and make the handle more like a Lil Temp.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 11:46 am
If going to a four way clip means full liners then I again don't really want the added weight.

It would be cool if Spyderco used the new linerless screws method like on the Native 5.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I have to ask, are there Spyderco plans afoot to bring out a modified or second generation Military or is this thread only speculation?

Team Innovation