Which is your most useful and most used Spyderco?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
MichaelScott

Which is your most useful and most used Spyderco?

Post by MichaelScott »

Most of us would like to be collectors. There are many knives that I would dearly like to have but there are not that many that I can legitimately consider as consistently useful that are good values in that regard for their cost. For example, I have many more uses for a smaller knife these days. I really like the Lil' Lum, but it is not a good choice for me as a useable small knife given its cost and size. A Dragonfly would be as useful and considerably less expensive.

Given what you need a knife, or knives to do on a regular basis, what would be your choices for most useful and most used Spydercos? I suspect that those criteria could be found in only one knife.

I will be collecting data from your responses and periodically posting it in this thread. At the end we may have a rough approximation if which ones we find most useful and use the most.

For me, I carry a Roadie daily and find it does maybe half the tasks I need very well. I consider my Chaparral FRN and Delica to be the other "go to" knives that I will carry consistently. I could happily get by with a Dragonfly and a Delica only.

Thanks for considering this question.

Today, 4/27/18, we have had sixty responses. I will stop collating the responses Monday morning, 4/30/18 and post a final result.
Last edited by MichaelScott on Fri Apr 27, 2018 7:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
SG89

Re: Which is your most useful and most used Spyderco?

Post by SG89 »

My most useful spydie has a wire clip, a slim profile in pocket and FFG. Currently I have 3 that fit that criteria: Lil Native, Caly 3.5, Spydiechef.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
elena86

Post by elena86 »

LW Urban in any steel
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

In the folder sector it is a draw between the old, ATS-55 Stainless RESCUE SE model and my M390 Military model because I've been using both of them daily for some time now. With great performance success>>It's going to take some awesome new models to unseat either of those for a while I can assure you.

In the fixed blade sector I'm still madly in love with the TEMPERANCE 1 model ( in PE & SE both). I won't quit until we get to see a TEMP 1 in the Salt series and hopefully with LC200N. That TEMP 1 model is super for outdoor chores along with kitchen & culinary jobs as well. To me it's almost a perfect fixed blade design>> Yeah I really use those three models that much :cool:
Ric

Post by Ric »

Para3
Dfly if i want to go slim & light
Lil Native
Hopweaver

Post by Hopweaver »

My most useful and most used knife is the Military. I can't say enough good things about the latest Knifeworks Exclusive Ti/CF S90V. It is possible the best Military ever. I carry it 9 out of 10 days. I like it so much I bought 3 of them. :eek: :eek: :eek:

I also find the Manix 2 will do any knife task with ease as well. It is a tank of a knife and has never let me down. I usually carry the Manix 2 (or occasionaly a PM2 SE) when the Military gets a day off.

I never had much use for a small knife. A big knife will cut anything a small knife will cut. I fear that I would be presented with a task and want extra blade length if the knife was smaller and not have it. That never happens with the Military.

@MichaelScott: Just read some of your Wordpress blog. Hope you get to feeling better soon!
Last edited by Hopweaver on Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

With thanks to multiple members here, including the OP of this thread to help lead me towards this knife...My Chaparral FRN is my most useful for daily tasks. Slim, lightweight, quality steel, doesn't scare the non knifers. It's perfect.

When it comes to camping and outside house work and such, I'll lean on my PM2 or Manix LW.

On a side note, I currently only have 4 Spyderco knives ranging in various sizes (Chaparral, Sage 5, Manix 2 LW, PM2) and I could easily choose any of the 4 on any given day. Their all extremely comfortable to me in their own ways, and with different locking mechanisms on 3 of the 4, I honestly can't decide which style I like best, which is why I now can't stop looking at other models and have about 5 on my list of "needs to buy" because I feel like I'll never be disappointed in a Spyderco!
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

Hopweaver wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 10:27 am
@MichaelScott: Just read some of your Wordpress blog. Hope you get to feeling better soon!
Thanks! I'm slowly recovering from my hospital stay. Sepsis... Don't ask... And the cancer treatments seem to be working for now. I have a blue Delica in the mail. All-in-all, life is good. :)
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

Team Innovation
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

The handy Manbug Salt Sheepfoot SpyderEdge on my keychain.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I've accumulated a bunch of knives over the past few years and I try to carry and use all of them. The knives I use at work see a lot of action (Blue Delica LW, Chap LW, Native 5 LW, UKPK S110V, Dragonfly HAP40, Para 3, along with a few others). Honestly...my useful and most used is probably my Manbug HAP40.
Last edited by Sharp Guy on Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

All time most used has to be a Military, the version varies but over the years I think I've logged more time with it than anything else. Runner up to that has to be the Dragonfly Salt. Lately my most used has been the Autonomy.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Bodog

Post by Bodog »

Don't care what i have in my drawer, the military keeps finding its way into my pocket with good reason. It does what it is supposed to do very well. As far as the long blade, better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. I really feel bad for those living in tyrannies that don't allow non-criminals to carry what they see fit. And i live in freaking California.
They who dance are thought mad by those who do not hear the music.
RickC27

Post by RickC27 »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:49 am
All time most used has to be a Military, the version varies but over the years I think I've logged more time with it than anything else. Runner up to that has to be the Dragonfly Salt. Lately my most used has been the Autonomy.
That's the great thing about these knives, you love to carry either your full on monster (Military) or the subtle little Dragonfly. Amazing how such massive differences in size don't matter to some people and can be content in either direction. I've got my PM2 in my front right pocket today, with the Chap LW in the small pocket just above it and feel like I'm ready for any task that comes my way. Though I know I've got a 16 hour work day, so the PM2 is mainly for play/entertainment when things are slow haha.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

RickC27 wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:02 pm
Evil D wrote:
Wed Apr 25, 2018 11:49 am
That's the great thing about these knives, you love to carry either your full on monster (Military) or the subtle little Dragonfly. Amazing how such massive differences in size don't matter to some people and can be content in either direction. I've got my PM2 in my front right pocket today, with the Chap LW in the small pocket just above it and feel like I'm ready for any task that comes my way. Though I know I've got a 16 hour work day, so the PM2 is mainly for play/entertainment when things are slow haha.

It's all about companion blades. I often carry both, and the job I used to do I couldn't always pull out a Military. Sometimes for mundane little tasks it doesn't make sense to use a 4 inch blade. The Dragonfly Salt cuts above it's weight class too. If I could only have one of the two I'd choose the Military, but I can carry both so why not?
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

My 'Salt' knives get used more than anything, this is because I use them as food knives, so typically at least 3 times a day everyday I use a salt (Ladyhawk SE, Dfly PE, HBDfly SE, Tasman PE, Tasman 2 SE, or LC200N Native combo edge).

My most used model in general is the Dragonfly/HB Dragonfly(Superblue, Hap 40, ZDP-189, H-1, H-1, and H-1 ;) )

My second most often used is split pretty evenly between the Native and Delica, although the Para 3 may over take them as my favorite.

*I should also add the Yojimbo 2. Even though it doesn't leave the pocket, it still serves it's intended purpose and in that sense it is 'used'/carried probably more often than my other knives.
Last edited by ZrowsN1s on Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

The Military is my most carried model.

However my most used is the Native. Followed by the Delica and Mantra. Which is basically a titanium Delica. I think it's because those are the models I grab at home in my shorts. I suppose I should reevaluate most carried. I'm probably in shorts more than not.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

It would have to be while I’m at work, and my work knife is usually the Military or Police 4. It’s nice to have a bigger, longer blade for work. On the weekends, it’s honestly whatever one I decide to carry that day.
Josh
blockade

Post by blockade »

Simple, plain, S30V black handled PM2. Two years ago I'd have bet money that I would never carry a knife this big. And on weekends now, I'm happy to move up to the Military. But the PM2 is just amazingly good at most every task I put it to, from the office to the garden to the hunting camp to the fishing boat. It's just a great knife, with really great steel (that many of us have begun to take from granted in Spydercos) that holds its edge and is easy enough to hone with just a few strokes on the Sharpmaker.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

So far the top ones are (number of mentions in previous posts): Sorry, but tables don't transfer well...

Military - 6
Dragonfly - 4
PM 2 - 4
Delica - 3
PM 3 - 2
Police - 2
Lil’ Native - 2
Chaparral frn - 2
Native - 2
Roadie - 1
Call 3.5 - 1
SpydieChef - 1
LW Urban - 1
Stainless Rescue SE - 1
Manix 2 - 1
Manix 2 LW - 1
Manbug Sheepsfoot SE - 1
Manbug HAP 40 - 1
Last edited by MichaelScott on Wed Apr 25, 2018 12:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Team Innovation
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Past year it has been my Stretch 2 and FRN Chaparral that I've used and carried most.
Next ones in line would probably be Native 5 LW, Manix 2 LW, Police 4 and Manix 2 XL.