ATR 2 first impressions

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Jeffg330

ATR 2 first impressions

Post by Jeffg330 »

I thought I’d share my first impressions after my first 12 hours with the ATR 2. I’ve been waiting a long time for the knife but now that I have it I’m kind of “meh” on it so far. Since they are close in size I’m going to compare it a little with the PM2, only other compression lock knife I have.

My sample seems a little “stiffer” on the action compared to the PM2 out of the box. I’ll open/close a couple hundred times and see if it loosens up on its own. The G10 on ATR is more grippy/textured then the PM2, potentially could be rougher on pockets? I think I like the cobra hood, my thumb seems to naturally be drawn to it rather than using the spider hole. The hole feels smaller than PM2, but looks identical when held together. Must be effect of the cobra hood. Anyway I prefer to middle finger flick so hopefully it’ll break in where I can easily do that, but nice to have another way to open. Ergonomically it fits my slightly larger hands just perfectly.

I’m curious about anyone else’s first impressions. I’m hoping I’ll warm up to it as the action gets better, and I become more accustomed to it.
PayneTrain

Re: ATR 2 first impressions

Post by PayneTrain »

I've got mine in my pocket right now. I waited multiple years for this day, as many have. It's pretty good, but I really don't think I'm gonna keep it.

It is about half an ounce lighter, but it's thicker. One thing I love about the original is it's thin slick handles. The thickness is probably preferable for most people as it results in a more comfortable grip, but not me. I like thin metal handles. The other problem the G-10 has, other than being black, is that it is guaranteed to shred my pockets due to the pressure point of the clip. It falls right over a hole, driving pants material into the hole and really holding on tight. The clip is the one thing I hoped would improve over the original, but honestly, this is actually harder for me to pull out of my pocket, a feat I didn't think was possible. I really think a wire clip was the way to go here.

It's nicely made with some handsome, precision lines and a nice blade finish. I do like it as a knife and if I didn't have many others in this style and size range, I'd probably keep it. But it feels like just another black G-10 knife to me. If it doesn't stop here and comes out in another color or handle material, I'll probably buy back in, but this just doesn't have the character my original stainless has.

First impressions, my opinion may change, but there ya go.
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

PayneTrain, love your signature line!
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Hmm, I love thicker grips so that may be a plus for me. My problem is redundancy, it really only offers one thing that interests me and that's the Cobra hood. I'm not sure I could pony up the cost just for that one feature, and I'm not sure it's enough to take the place of my Sliverax or Autonomy.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Candyman

Post by Candyman »

Here’s my thoughts. Remember the look on Clark Griswold’s face in Christmas vacation when he plugged the lights in and finally got them to work? My exact look when I opened the box. 2 years I’ve been waiting for this day and I’m happy to say this knife is everything I thought it would be. Finish on it is flawless and the G-10 was a perfect addition to an already amazing knife.
Think for yourself
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

This is a knife I’m definitely waiting on to gauge the response. I know many have been pining away for this knife for a while, and for good reason. I had the pleasure to own several of the Ti and SS versions, and those are fantastic as well. With so many other compression lock offerings these days, it faces much stiffer competition with many excellent current offerings and some stunning looking new models on the horizon. It seems the ATR is evolving a bit in the reverse of a normal model. First they get offered in black G10 and then the fancier versions come in Ti, etc. You may disagree but I’m wondering if the Ti version wasn’t the ultimate offering of this model (and yes, I’m lumping the first and second generations together). Cheers, Radioactive
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
BrianMcCord

Post by BrianMcCord »

MichaelScott wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:21 am
+1
-Brian

Son's Collection: H1 Rescue Manbug, Tenacious

Rescue 79mm Orange, Cat BD-1, Effecient, Pingo Orange FRN, T-Mag, Urban K390, Lil' Native, Sliverax, Para 3 S110V, Caly 3 HAP 40, R Nishijin, Mantra, Manix 2 LW S110V, Manix 2 Black, Delica 4 Black, PM2 Digi, PM2 Black, Yojimbo 2, Native 5 LW, Dragonfly 2, Military 204P, Wolfspyder, Techno, HAP 40 Ladybug, H1 Hawkbill Ladybug, Blue Persistence, Bradley 2, UKPK SE Gin-1

Looking for an Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom Native. :spyder:
Kango

Post by Kango »

MichaelScott wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:21 am
Sorry to veer off topic, I love the sentiment as well. Trouble is, I’m a veterinarian. Try as I might, many pups remember a thermometer up the rear and pokes with vaccines (if it’s a good day).
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Kango,

Welcome to our forum. Thanx for the funny "veer off".

sal
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

If I can get it hands on one I’ll buy it, I’ve been waiting a long time so I’m excited for it. Unfortunately it’s being delivered after the knife ban here in Canada so squiring one will be tricky.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

Hah good point Kango! I don't think whoever came up with that line was a veterinarian! Still, with the amount of treats my pup gets in exchange, she's happy to take a needle.

RS, I would looooove a Ti version. Unfortunately I could barely afford the premium on the stainless model, nevermind the $300+ minimum I saw the titaniums go for online. Equally unfortunately, based on what this one is going for, I bet a remake of the original titanium wouldn't retail for much less what the originals go for currently.

This is really a tough one. It's probably a smarter, more usable ATR than the original due to it being lighter and more comfortable with its thicker handle. Once it's open and in my hand, it really is a beaut. It just doesn't pocket like my old stainless, which for me is just as important as how it performs. And yeah, mine's a bit stiff in the pivot too, as opposed to my original which swings freely. Really torn on this one. I'd love to hear more first impressions as these arrive in mailboxes the next few days.
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
Popsickle

Post by Popsickle »

Richierich252000 wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:44 am
Here’s my thoughts. Remember the look on Clark Griswold’s face in Christmas vacation when he plugged the lights in and finally got them to work? My exact look when I opened the box. 2 years I’ve been waiting for this day and I’m happy to say this knife is everything I thought it would be. Finish on it is flawless and the G-10 was a perfect addition to an already amazing knife.
Mine went in my pocket after the first fondle..... that means she’s a keeper!

I don’t think it’s too heavy at all in comparison to my Benchmade Presidio II
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

Mine with a Lynch clip
Mine with a Lynch clip
Popsickle wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:56 pm
Richierich252000 wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:44 am
Mine went in my pocket after the first fondle..... that means she’s a keeper!

I don’t think it’s too heavy at all in comparison to my Benchmade Presidio II
Mine came today and I'm also very impressed. Mine opens and closes just as smoothly as any of my PM2s or 3s. :)
"No matter where you go, there you are"
bh49

Post by bh49 »

I got mine on Saturday and love it.
I used to have SS variant and sold it along with several dozens of Spyderco, when I needed cash. ATR is the only knife, which I regret selling.
In my book ATR2 is better than SS ATR. I would take ATR2 over Ti variant as well. I love new clip. Much better than original for me. G10 is giving very nice feel and ergos are fantastic. Mine also was a little stiff, when came in. But just a quarter turn of pivot screw made it smooth like butter. And I love the blade. I am dreaming about 3" long blade ATR style.
PayneTrain wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 5:07 pm
RS, I would looooove a Ti version. Unfortunately I could barely afford the premium on the stainless model, nevermind the $300+ minimum I saw the titaniums go for online. Equally unfortunately, based on what this one is going for, I bet a remake of the original titanium wouldn't retail for much less what the originals go for currently.
I can be wrong, but I think if Spyderco would remake original Ti ATR, it would go for much more than $300.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf"

My top choices Natives5, Calys, C83 Persian
Jeffg330

Post by Jeffg330 »

I exchanged mine with GPK (great customer service) due to poor centering and stiff action. Now that I have an excellent sample I’m still just not feeling a connection with this piece, I really wanted to love this knife. I’ll probably sell it and move on...
Hopweaver

Post by Hopweaver »

Jeffg330 wrote:
Tue Apr 03, 2018 3:55 am
I exchanged mine with GPK (great customer service) due to poor centering and stiff action. Now that I have an excellent sample I’m still just not feeling a connection with this piece, I really wanted to love this knife. I’ll probably sell it and move on...
My ATR2 opened like a dream, one of the smoothest opening actions of any Spyderco I have owned. But it had poor centering and the compression lock felt a little different than the Golden versions on my PM2s. Hard to say why exactly, maybe the lock was a little difficult to disengage??? Anyway, I really wanted to love this knife too, but for 2 bills I could not overlook my issues with it. I ended up returning it and getting another KW Ti/CF S90V Millie instead.

I am definitely going to give the ATR2 another shot at Blade Show this summer. Maybe if I handle a better example at the Spyderco booth my love will be rekindled. As you can tell, I am on the fence. I think it is a great design, so it is definitely worth a second chance. Glad to see so many others on here are happy with their ATR2's. It gives me hope. :)
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
Candyman

Post by Candyman »

Been riding with me since I got it. No plans to rotate any time soon. Absolute homerun! The only thing that would make it better is if it was serrated. :)

Rich
Think for yourself
Dolannd

Post by Dolannd »

I decided to wait a bit before i gave my opinion on this knife. At first i was 'meh' as well but after about 10 months of EDC.. it really grew on me... very comfortable in hand and the cobra hood feels realy nice.
It was a bit stiff at first but now its smooth .
No regrets keeping it. Its a winner in my books.