Has your compression lock knife opened accidentally?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SG89

Re: Has your compression lock knife opened accidentally?

Post by SG89 »

I would recommend the compression lock to anyone, the Lil native is my edc. I've owned 9 spydies with compression locks and only one of them ever opened accidentally and it was 100 percent user error/pants fault lol.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
vivi

Post by vivi »

Last edited by vivi on Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
:unicorn
vivi

Post by vivi »

MichaelScott wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:14 pm
Vivi wrote:
Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:16 pm
Yes. Para 2 did this a few times, even after tightening the pivot as much as I could by hand and loc-titing it. I sold it and almost exclusively purchase backlocks now.
Could you elaborate with more details about what happened?
Yep.

I've had four times a Spyderco opened in my pocket.

Once a Para 2 opened in my rear pocket. The spine wasn't in the seam. I worked a different job and did nothing unusual, just typical walking around.

Another time the same Para opened in my fifth pocket in my carhartts during a mild hike. Sliced my thumb open. Spine was against the seam too.

Third and last time the Para opened on me it was IWB. Sliced me behind my hip.

Always carried tip up.

I've had my stock Military with tip down clip come open cliped RFP after going for a walk.

I carry lockbacks and fixed blades exclusively now and never have this issue.
Last edited by vivi on Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

Interesting!
Would you guys say you have had more trouble with other locks like liner or frame locks or is it a compression lock issue predominately?
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Daveho wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:20 am
Interesting!
Would you guys say you have had more trouble with other locks like liner or frame locks or is it a compression lock issue predominately?
Don’t know Daveho?

After reading your post I picked up my S110V PM2 held it blade down and tried to flick it open like cracking a whip and it wouldn’t open. :cool:

I tried three Millies S30V, 204P and S110V and all opened doing the same. Not fully mind you but past 90deg. I couldn’t say for sure but I think with the Millie’s blade length and weight played a part. :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Carry a lot in pocket without clip, Nearly had a nasty with a parra 3 a few weeks ago. ( made me re think locks and carry a salt1 for a bit )
Funny as never had a issue with a Mnandi
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
anycal

Post by anycal »

No! Even with some tumbles, no. Impact carry, still nothing.
Peter
razorsharp

Post by razorsharp »

I had it happen with a southard and it bit my thumb pretty bad. I was walking through a park with my hand profusely bleeding.... didnt quite know what to do XD. It didnt have a weak detent, I dont really know why it opened. My best guess is the flipper tab bumped something and knocked the blade ajar. No idea.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I had a Para 2 open and stab through my pants, and then brushed my hand across the tip and stabbed the side of my palm. I was even carrying it tip down which many people believe is safer (and I'm one of them usually). I still believe it was a fluke. I had to have stuck it in my pocket partially open for it to snag and open the way it did. I believe it had to do with a sloppy "drop closed with gravity" move and the blade wasn't completely closed when I stuck it in my pocket.

Otherwise the only other knife I've had open in my pocket was ironically enough a BACK LOCK so this debate is really funny to me. That knife was my ZDP Ladybug, which was hanging from my keys and tucked into my back pocket. I stuck my hand into that pocket and split my finger open. So, while a back lock may indeed have a strong self close bias, it isn't impossible for one to open either. The bottom line is you need to be smarter than your knife. Just like with firearms, the only true safety is trigger discipline, and with knives you just need to expect the unexpected.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I don't think there's really any debate to be had about the relative safety of the locks. The debate is whether the compression/liner lock is "safe enough" for a given persons carry/useage habits. A backlock is clearly "safer" than a compression or liner lock in regard to its ability to keep a knife in the closed position. The self close and bias towards the closed position makes it nearly impossible for a backlock to be jarred open and remain open. A liner/compression lock on the other hand has no such self close so if the detent is somehow overcome then the knife will remain partially open until some external force is exerted to close it.

I have never had any knife partially open in pocket or IWB regardless of lock type. Because the potential exists though, I strongly favor backlocks, especially for IWB carry. I feel 100% comfortable with a compression lock tip up in my front pocket and I think it would be nearly impossible for it to accidentally open in that position. IWB on the other hand makes me nervous. I still think it is HIGHLY unlikely to get an accidental opening but if by some chance it did happen, the consequences could be VERY severe. I feel way more comfortable with a backlock dangling around there at 1:00.

In summary, style of lock does not really affect my choice of knives unless I'm choosing a knife that will be carried predominantly IWB. It that case I will always favor a backlock.
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

One other note....

Because of this very issue, I always like my compression/liner lock knives with a detent that is on the stronger side. I have a factory second cruwear millie that has a bit of slop in the closed position but the detent is crazy strong...probably twice as strong as a standard millie. Still totally flickable but requires some real force to overcome the detent. I really love that knife and regularly carry it IWB with confidence.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

The Wolfspyder has a second detent in addition to the comp lock. Little chance of a problem there.
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I checked my Chaparral FRN against my Manix 2 LW. The Chaparral will automatically close when the blade is opened anywhere up to about 30°. The Manix range is about 10° open; anything more and it will stay open. This is really a matter of the detent rather than the lock type I think.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

MichaelScott wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:04 am
I checked my Chaparral FRN against my Manix 2 LW. The Chaparral will automatically close when the blade is opened anywhere up to about 30°. The Manix range is about 10° open; anything more and it will stay open. This is really a matter of the detent rather than the lock type I think.

Exactly. The Victorinox Sentinel has a liner lock, but it's an old school" backspring style liner lock, so it closes with the same authority as a slip joint or midlock. I'm pretty sure that, assuming it could even be done, if Spyderco ever built a compression lock, Walker style liner lock, or RIL with a detent large enough and strong enough to provide bias to closing equivalent to a midlock, it would go over like a lead balloon. Most buyers would piss and moan about it not being easy enough to open. IMHO, "flickability" is one of the major selling points of those locks. If it were not, there'd be more "old school" backspring style liner locks on the market.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

The Deacon wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:35 am

Exactly. The Victorinox Sentinel has a liner lock, but it's an old school" backspring style liner lock, so it closes with the same authority as a slip joint or midlock. I'm pretty sure that, assuming it could even be done, if Spyderco ever built a compression lock, Walker style liner lock, or RIL with a detent large enough and strong enough to provide bias to closing equivalent to a midlock, it would go over like a lead balloon. Most buyers would piss and moan about it not being easy enough to open. IMHO, "flickability" is one of the major selling points of those locks. If it were not, there'd be more "old school" backspring style liner locks on the market.
I suspect you are quite right about that. At the end of the day they make different locks that appeal to different users and as long as they keep making plenty of all of them there's no reason to worry about which one we think is best.

...that said, I know which one is best and if you ask me I'll tell you. It is also possible that I will tell you even if you don't ask. :cool: :D
MichaelScott

Post by MichaelScott »

I’m thinking that a lock should lock. In both the open and closed positions. Given that so far I haven’t read of back locks opening in a pocket, or worse, waistband, I will probably stick with them from now on.
Overheard at the end of the ice age, “We’ve been having such unnatural weather.”

http://acehotel.blog

Team Innovation
vivi

Post by vivi »

The Deacon wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 11:35 am
MichaelScott wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:04 am

Just look up Szabo Folder reviews. I'm one of 4 people that actually like the self close spring, and I wish it'd be used on more comp lock folders like the ATR 2.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

This is a really interesting discussion.
I’ve been running, hiking, climbing and any number of things and never had this issue.
Typically when working I wear Vertx pants which have a flat section in the base of the pocket which keeps the blade against the seem well
vivi

Post by vivi »

Daveho wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:23 pm
This is a really interesting discussion.
I’ve been running, hiking, climbing and any number of things and never had this issue.
Typically when working I wear Vertx pants which have a flat section in the base of the pocket which keeps the blade against the seem well
These things are often strange like that. The same para 2 I had open on me while walking around also joined me on my first bicycle tour, which was about 700 miles through the mountains.
Daveho

Post by Daveho »

I guess there are plenty of knifes out there that will lock closed, I had a CRKT lake-111 for a while, I hated it but it did lock closed