CPM-M4 and the Sharpmaker

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Rhodie

CPM-M4 and the Sharpmaker

Post by Rhodie »

A lot has been mentioned about the Abilities & Limitations of the SharpMaker and it's ability to re-profile or touch an already maintained edge. What about the CPM-M4? Would you agree that it runs in the same category as the s110v? Harder or easier? I do understand that at least a diamond or cbn stone is needed to reprofile but what about touch ups? Thanks...
JimP

Re: CPM-M4 and the Sharpmaker

Post by JimP »

I find M4 easier than 110v, after re-profiling my M4 mule on the diamond rods I have no problems doing touch ups with the ceramics, and after a quick strop it splits hairs.
gmhauy

Post by gmhauy »

I can't say for re-profiling, but I just happened to resharpen my new Gayle Bradley 2 this afternoon - after a couple months of use I felt it didn't have that bite anymore.
Simple touch-up trailing the edge on an ultra fine rod did not produce any noticeable improvement in sharpness (whereas that method works well with my CruWear Manix).
So I took it for a standard sharpening session of more or less 20 passes on the medium (brown) rods followed by same on the fine (white) rods, set up at 40°. I used the angles only and dispensed with passes on the flats. Just used some Sharpie on the edges to make sure about the sharpening angles - because that was the first time I was using the SM with that knife.
I am very pleased with the result; in my non-scientific estimate it is as sharp as when I received it brand new.
Hope this helps.

gerard
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

For touch ups you shouldn’t have any problem with the SM. In my experience, M4 is easier to get sharper than S110V.
Northglenn500

Post by Northglenn500 »

As long as you don't have to re-profile, it works great. My Bradley 1 came butter knife sharp. I thought I was going to cry when I started trying to sharpen it. Definitely easier than 110, but not nearly as easy as S30V or even 204P.
Rhodie

Post by Rhodie »

Northglenn500 wrote:
Mon Mar 12, 2018 4:36 pm
As long as you don't have to re-profile, it works great. My Bradley 1 came butter knife sharp. I thought I was going to cry when I started trying to sharpen it. Definitely easier than 110, but not nearly as easy as S30V or even 204P.
Yes, my Manix arrived the same way, butter knife sharp. It needs a little tweaking.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

One reason I love M4 so much is because it sharpens so easily on the Sharpmaker. Reprofiling, not so much.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
krikun98

Post by krikun98 »

I've tried reprofiling the Benchmade 810 to 30. Just a simple piece of advice: don't.
Rhodie

Post by Rhodie »

krikun98 wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:59 am
I've tried reprofiling the Benchmade 810 to 30. Just a simple piece of advice: don't.
Thanks for the tip. Right now I just have the med, fine and ultra fine stones for my Sharpmaker. So any heavy re-profiling would have to be done by other means. I could always go the Sic, CBN, Diamond Stone route for the Sharpmaker. I do also have the Hapstone v7 with the Venev Diamond stones but the Sharpmaker and its simplicity makes for a wonderful alternative for a quick touch ups.
krikun98

Post by krikun98 »

Rhodie wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:17 am
krikun98 wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:59 am
Thanks for the tip. Right now I just have the med, fine and ultra fine stones for my Sharpmaker. So any heavy re-profiling would have to be done by other means. I could always go the Sic, CBN, Diamond Stone route for the Sharpmaker. I do also have the Hapstone v7 with the Venev Diamond stones but the Sharpmaker and its simplicity makes for a wonderful alternative for a quick touch ups.
For a couple of years my only sharpener was the Sharpmaker with the full kit. Even with all that, reprofiling took a few sessions. Long sessions. In comparison, getting an M4 Military to 30 on a Hapstone equivalent with the Venev diamonds took less than an hour. The Sharpmaker is a wonderful tool for quick touch ups, but chips or reprofiling are a pain even with the diamonds.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Rhodie wrote:
With the stones you have for the SM & Hapstone you have pretty much everything you need. Why would you even bother try to reprofile with the SM? I love the SM but, since I got my Hapstone, trying to reprofile on it is a thing of the past.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Rhodie

Post by Rhodie »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Tue Mar 13, 2018 5:56 pm
Rhodie wrote:
With the stones you have for the SM & Hapstone you have pretty much everything you need. Why would you even bother try to reprofile with the SM? I love the SM but, since I got my Hapstone, trying to reprofile on it is a thing of the past.
No particular reason other than i like options but the more and more i read about the limitations the more it gives me pause.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I wouldn't say the SM has limitations, aside from only two angle slots even that can be changed if you're creative. With diamond or CBN rods you can reprofile anything, there are just much faster sharpening tools for reprofiling but that doesn't mean it can't be done.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Rhodie

Post by Rhodie »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:37 pm
I wouldn't say the SM has limitations, aside from only two angle slots even that can be changed if you're creative. With diamond or CBN rods you can reprofile anything, there are just much faster sharpening tools for reprofiling but that doesn't mean it can't be done.
Agreed, I suppose I used the wrong wording in regards to the use of "Limitations".