Domino & Dice Owners; please read

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
mad german

Domino & Dice Owners; please read

Post by mad german »

Has the issue with Spyderco and their washers & bearings been blown out of proportion by the “YouTube gurus”? I own a Dice and Domino and absolutely love them.

A coworker has owned both a Dice and Domino since they came out and carried them both daily, and uses them daily as work knives. He’s not had a single issue with either knife. Did he just happen to get a good pair of knives? Or has the “issue” been blown way out of proportion by guys like apostlep and others?

Any other Dice / Domino owners concerned or worried about future problems with your knives, or has it not even crossed your mind?

Thx for the input, everyone.
My collection is ever changing!
curlyhairedboy

Re: Domino & Dice Owners; please read

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Never had a problem with my Dice, or with my Domino when I had it.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Sonorum

Post by Sonorum »

I have a Dice and while it isn't the best flipper I've tried it isn't broken or impossible to flip or anything. Love the XHP as well!
/ David
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Never had a problem with any of my Dominos. My blue G10 Domino in CTS-204 is a dream to open and close. Silky smooth indeed. I am about to purchase the one with red scales to complete my collection. Domino will be such a sought after folder in a few years from now... mark my words.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Candyman

Post by Candyman »

I have two of the dominoes and they flip flawlessly for me and have for the past couple years .

Rich (Candyman)
Think for yourself
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Yes.
Josh
Ixstala

Post by Ixstala »

Never had a problem with my Domino. Flips admirably.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

My domino is great. Flips fine every time. Dice, not so much. Some have said it’s the lower blade weight that doesn’t carry as much momentum. I tend to agree. I have noticed that zt’s, for instance, has a much stronger detent and need more pressure to fire so the flip really well.
I still think the thumb hole is the best way to open and faster than a flipper.
swigert

Post by swigert »

My dominos are great. No dice here
NoFair

Post by NoFair »

No issues with my Domino. I wouldn't worry.
Johnnie1801

Post by Johnnie1801 »

Have both, never taken them apart or even touched the screws, no issues here. I think it helps to keep them clean and lubricate once in a while.
Currently enjoying Spyderco's in - S30V, VG10, Super Blue, Cruwear x4, CTS XHP, S110V x2, M4 x3, S35VN, CTS 204P x2, S90V, HAP 40, K390, RWL34, MAXAMET, ZDP 189, REX 45

Jon
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

Oh yeah, let me make something clear. My dice that doesn’t flip well was picked up second hand. It may have been taken apart by previous owner. My perfect domino was new from solid dealer.
mad german

Post by mad german »

murphjd25 wrote:Yes.
To which question did you answer "yes"?
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

I have two dominos and have had two dice. The red domino is not as good of a flipper as my black one. The black one flies open with the most gentle bump of the flipper. I tried loosening the pivot a fraction last night on the red one and that seemed to help a bit. The dominos/dic felt gritty and I felt needed to be cleaned and oiled. This didn't make them that smooth until after adjusting the pivot screw, now it's much better. I think at one point a few pivots might have been over tightened at the factory or by a user and this bent the washers but I don't think it's a problem if you don't torque them down.
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
DrawBackwards

Post by DrawBackwards »

I've had my domino for a couple of years, and it has always worked well for me.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Sorry I should have been more clear German! About the problem being blown out of proportion by a few “YouTubers”. I have not had any problem with my flippers, they have been more then great! It’s a shame because I think it’s scared off some people from trying flippers from Spyderco, and they make some good ones IMO.
Josh
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I have both and neither are good flippers compared with my two ZTs. Not even close, however they are better than CrKTs I have tried. If you ignore the flipper and use the hole for opening, then there are no complaints. I can understand why some grind the flipper tab off.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
soulspy

Post by soulspy »

Both of mine are early production models and have always flipped great. Domino almost sounds robotic it's so smooth.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Thank you all very much for this discussion. The opinions and experiences of those who actually own and use our products are always the ultimate measure of whether the knives are serving their intended purpose or not. We also closely monitor all returns of knives for warranty consideration by specific model. Your positive experiences mirror ours.

Thanks again for sharing and for your continued confidence in our products.

Stay safe,

Mike
mad german

Post by mad german »

Thanks again everyone, including you, Mr. Mike! The more I carry my Dice, the more I like it's smaller size.