Sage 5 issues

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
sageadvice

Sage 5 issues

Post by sageadvice »

Hi guys, I'm new to Spyderco knives and new to the board. This looks like a great community and I'm excited to join!

The Sage 5 is my first Spyderco, and I love it, but I've run into a few issues that leave me wanting to modify it. I'm wondering if others face similar problems, and if perhaps future versions could be CQI'd.

1. No detent ball ramp. I understand the Para 2 has one, and the lack of it creates a noticeable "curb stop" when closing this knife. Is there a reason this was omitted on the Sage 5? The issue may be exacerbated on my particular knife, because...

2. Stiff lock spring. I really have to crank on it to get the blade to swing as freely as the pivot allows; if I don't push hard enough to clear the detent ball, it drags along the blade and slows things down significantly. Pushing hard enough to clear it actually hurts the tip of my index finger because the cut-out isn't very deep, so the force is concentrated on a relatively small area of my fingertip. I find it much more comfortable to unlock with my left hand, because my thumb fills the cut-out and the force on it is spread out more. When closing with my right hand, I push my index finger all the way into the cut-out to get more purchase, which makes it hurt less, but then...

3. The kick hits the finger I have on the lock when closing. After playing with the knife for a few days, I noticed my index fingernail was getting chewed up. I didn't immediately understand why; it doesn't hurt when the kick hits it, but it adds up over time. This is actually worse if I'm using my left hand, because my thumbnail protrudes a little further into the back of the knife. To be clear, the kick isn't protruding past the scales when closed, but it is almost flush with them, so any fingernail that sticks in there will get battered. I don't have particularly long fingernails. (edit: after reading more, I see this has been a problem with the lil' Native and the Shaman.)

Aside from these issues, like I said, I love the knife. I'm considering disassembling it and trying to bend the lock spring back a little, but I'm concerned it will loosen the detent (and if I overdo it, compromise the lock). I don't know if this qualifies as a warranty issue, but would also hate to void the warranty.

I could also just stop playing with the knife, and only open it when I need to cut something, but where's the fun in that?
BrianMcCord

Re: Sage 5 issues

Post by BrianMcCord »

I think if you just keep excercising the knife, things will get better. You will develop muscle memory and soon your finger will be moving out of the way without you even noticing. Building up a callus will make things much better.

I know exactly what you are describing...it was the same for me. Especially with my Lil' Native, but, now my fingers are trained to avoid being bumped when flipping closed.

Welcome to the forum! I hope you enjoy your new hobby.
-Brian

Son's Collection: H1 Rescue Manbug, Tenacious

Rescue 79mm Orange, Cat BD-1, Effecient, Pingo Orange FRN, T-Mag, Urban K390, Lil' Native, Sliverax, Para 3 S110V, Caly 3 HAP 40, R Nishijin, Mantra, Manix 2 LW S110V, Manix 2 Black, Delica 4 Black, PM2 Digi, PM2 Black, Yojimbo 2, Native 5 LW, Dragonfly 2, Military 204P, Wolfspyder, Techno, HAP 40 Ladybug, H1 Hawkbill Ladybug, Blue Persistence, Bradley 2, UKPK SE Gin-1

Looking for an Operation Iraqi Freedom and Operation Enduring Freedom Native. :spyder:
Ric

Post by Ric »

Welcome here!

It will get smoother over time, oil helps also.

3. Same issue with Lil Native.
I grinded a few mm off, now its good.
No big deal and fun to mod it.
Unbrokenchain33

Post by Unbrokenchain33 »

I've owned 2 Sage 5's and both were butter smooth. Maybe just the fit of the hand is better suited for me? I love mine!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

My first Sage 5 had the same issue with the detent ball. It was like the detent ball was set too proud and didn't easily clear the blade tang. I had to push hard on the lock bar when closing the blade. Otherwise the detent ball would hang up on the blade tang and it was really difficult close. The knife had another issue so I ended up sending it into the SFO. The knife that was returned was much better. The action isn't quite as good as any of my Golden produced compression lock knives but it's much improved compared to the first one.

I hadn't noticed the issue with the kick until I read about it here. I have to really push my finger deep into the lock bar cut out to even feel it. Non issue for me since I don't usually push my finger down that far on the tab when closing.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
sageadvice

Post by sageadvice »

Thanks for the responses!

I disassembled, oiled the pivot, greased the detent hole, and bent the spring back -- I'm not certain that last part did anything, as it looked like it came back to the same shape, but it does seem easier to push down now. On reassembly, I left the pivot screws a little looser.

It's now wonderful! I don't have to push as hard, and if I do, I can move my finger off the lock before the kick hits it. Before I had to keep it there for the whole swing or it would immediately halt. And no blade play from the looser pivots. Threadlocker was a bit tough to get past but hot water heating did the trick.

I'll see how the oil and grease hold up over time, but I can always do it again.