Admitting when wrong

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
twinboysdad

Admitting when wrong

Post by twinboysdad »

One of my better qualities is admitting when I am wrong. The Delica 4 FFG I have long called fragile, too thin, inferior to the Native, and many other things disparaging. I decided to give it another whirl based on Jazz piercing a can with one on video. Could I have been wrong? It turns out, yes I was. Having a hard time getting this knife out of my pocket now. I do like the thickness of the Wharn D4 a bit better but that is simply in my own mind. The Delica is neither too thin nor too fragile when used as a knife. It is funny how a good many of us start with D4/E4, our tastes change to more expensive models, and over time you come back around to the simplicity of FRN, backlock, and the good at everything VG10. This is simply a wonderful EDC and I was wrong previously underselling this model
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Admitting when wrong

Post by Doc Dan »

I prefer the Delica over the Native and over many other knives. It is a great design.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
NickShabazz

Post by NickShabazz »

The Delica is a bit more fragile and thin, but at least for me, it hits a nice happy medium for EDC. It's enough knife, while being not that much to carry. That said, for me at least, Delica's better for carrying all day (compact size and weight), the Native's better for cutting all day (given ergos, steel).
Mourning the Slysz Bowie and loving the rest of Spyderco's gems. Check out my reviews at https://www.youtube.com/c/nickshabazz!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Fragile is relative to what you're using the knife for. As long as you're not prying or using it as a screwdriver I don't see how it's too fragile for any knife task. I really think the overbuilt pocket knife trend is nearing an end. It just doesn't make sense to carry around a sharpened bar of steel that doesn't cut worth a crap just so you can use the wrong tool for the job. This fantasy of "what if it's the only tool you have" is just that..a fantasy. If that really concerns you, get an EDC bag and pack a burly fixed blade and leave your pocket knife as a proper cutting tool. It's not hard to carry a multitool either.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

NickShabazz wrote:The Delica is a bit more fragile and thin, but at least for me, it hits a nice happy medium for EDC. It's enough knife, while being not that much to carry. That said, for me at least, Delica's better for carrying all day (compact size and weight), the Native's better for cutting all day (given ergos, steel).
First off, I love your YouTube reviews.

Great point on the carry vs use all day. I carry an air-weight revolver all day but would shoot all day with a Sig.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Evil D wrote:Fragile is relative to what you're using the knife for. As long as you're not prying or using it as a screwdriver I don't see how it's too fragile for any knife task. I really think the overbuilt pocket knife trend is nearing an end. It just doesn't make sense to carry around a sharpened bar of steel that doesn't cut worth a crap just so you can use the wrong tool for the job. This fantasy of "what if it's the only tool you have" is just that..a fantasy. If that really concerns you, get an EDC bag and pack a burly fixed blade and leave your pocket knife as a proper cutting tool. It's not hard to carry a multitool either.
I think you are right on the overbuilt fad fading. I for one had been sucked in, but no longer
archangel

Post by archangel »

I own no Delica, nor do I own an Endura. I haven‘t prioritized them in my collection because they have no finger choil. I consider this a true game changing feature for any light & slim knife. Yes, I own and love a Pingo, which has no choil. I also own a Centofante 3 and a Pacific Salt with no choil, and they are the two models that basically get zero pocket time. So for the moment I can say that I’d always prefer the choiled models, like the Native.

Relatively soon (when the WTF steel sprints hit the shelves) I will learn if Delica or Endura will belong to the group of knives that get lots of love and pocket time, or not.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

twinboysdad wrote: I think you are right on the overbuilt fad fading. I for one had been sucked in, but no longer

It's not that I don't enjoy them either, I have a couple tank folders. They just aren't great for everyday use.
~David
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

The overbuilt folder is a thing of beauty imo.
But, getting down to brass tacks, it's just really not necessary.
David pretty much nailed It imo.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

MacLaren wrote:The overbuilt folder is a thing of beauty imo.
But, getting down to brass tacks, it's just really not necessary.
David pretty much nailed It imo.

I have a morbid fascination with the idea of a folder that can rival the strength of a fixed blade, however that may be accomplished. I like the challenge that it involves and it really doesn't matter if it can or can't be done, it's just fun. I get the whole apocalypse proof knife appeal, I just don't want or need it for every knife I own. I have a ZT0303 and honestly it cuts like absolute crap. Whittling sticks with that knife is a chore, and I've got the bevel all the way down to 30 inclusive. The thickness behind the edge is so wide you can't lay the knife flat enough to carve a thin slice, so it wants to dig into everything. It feels awesome in my hand and I actually love the ergonomics, it's just ground way too thick to have decent performance.
~David
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

My first spyderco was a Delica and although I never stopped loving it I tried many "better" folders and always went back to my trusty Delicas for when I needed the job done. It's my favorite design, I handled most of the Spyderco's releases on the last years, I had other folders costing the double and the triple of a Delica that found their way to the secondary market.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I came to Spyderco several interations into the Delica.

I came in on the Tenacious wave and proceeded to look for more choiled, leaf-shaped blades.

All of a sudden, I had a SuperLeaf, all the Sages, a bunch of Manix2s, a few Natives, a Chap, and some Calys/UKPKs, each strongly held in lined G10. I've loved these choices.

And, because of all the raving about it, I also got a PM2, but I couldn't bring myself to carry it. Too pointy, visually. But I certainly saw its utility and liked its feel in my hand. I allowed that I respected it, if I didn't love it. Now, I love all my much-carried PM2s, as well as my new larger flat-spined 204P Military and Police4.

And during this awakening had come the obligatory H1 in what I perceived as that weak unlined plasticky FRN. Not, I quickly discovered. I started with a flat-spined Pacific Salt modeled on the Endura, and the Delica-inspired Tasman. While I still prefer choils, I'm no longer put off by their absence.

Interesting what my Spyderco experience says about prejudice. My only reason for not yet acquiring a Delica is all the other Spydies Sal and Eric have been forcing me to buy.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Termite Toothpick

Post by Termite Toothpick »

Evil D wrote:Fragile is relative to what you're using the knife for. As long as you're not prying or using it as a screwdriver I don't see how it's too fragile for any knife task. I really think the overbuilt pocket knife trend is nearing an end. It just doesn't make sense to carry around a sharpened bar of steel that doesn't cut worth a crap just so you can use the wrong tool for the job. This fantasy of "what if it's the only tool you have" is just that..a fantasy. If that really concerns you, get an EDC bag and pack a burly fixed blade and leave your pocket knife as a proper cutting tool. It's not hard to carry a multitool either.
Oh man I hope you are right! -and appreciate your point.
Dragonfly G-10, Blurple PM2, Para3, Jani-Song, Dragonfly2 ZDP-189, Lil' Native, Chaparral LW, Delica WC HAP40, Para3 M4, HH UKPK S30V, Para3 LW, Para3 LW M390, Meerkat V-TOKU2, M4 Sage 5 LW, Urban Ivory Damasteel, Leaf Storm

:bug-white-red -Derek
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

Even after I did that test, I still wish it was a tad thicker, but I feel better about it. I was pushing through some thick cans. I do like the wharnie's thickness better. It just seems stronger somehow.
- best wishes, Jazz.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

Jazz wrote:Even after I did that test, I still wish it was a tad thicker, but I feel better about it. I was pushing through some thick cans. I do like the wharnie's thickness better. It just seems stronger somehow.
You are my knife preference twin dude! I should just ask you before I buy if you have tried one.
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

I hope the overbuilt trend is in it's last days as well. I have never enjoyed the idea of the sharpened prybar. The Strider SNG is probably the closest thing I have to one and it slices like a beast, but it will never be a replacement for my Delica. Glad you found out you were wrong twinboysdad.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
sal

Post by sal »

Apology accepted.

sal
ross8425

Post by ross8425 »

sal wrote:Apology accepted.

sal
:D :D
jabba359

Post by jabba359 »

twinboysdad wrote:One of my better qualities is admitting when I am wrong.
I would also like to think that, in the highly unlikely event such an occasion ever arise for myself, I would also be able to admit I'm wrong. I mean, it's really just a theoretical situation anyway, right? :p
-Kyle

:bug-red
Latest arrivals: Lava Flow CF DLC Para2, Magnacut Mule, GITD Jester

http://www.spydiewiki.com
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

For actually cutting the stuff we need to cut in our urban western civilization, the FFG Delica is superior to the thicker saber ground Delica. Years ago I bought exactly one heavy, thick bladed folder (AO, too!) and that was enough to convince me that thin and light are my definite preference for pocket knives.