Salty Stretch?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
tangent

Salty Stretch?

Post by tangent »

Just had an idea for a new knife...how about a Stretch Salt. You know, linerless, LC200N, etc... It seems that the blade shape is quite practical and useful, so why not give it the full rust-proof treatment? I know there are major costs in terms of redesigning the FRN handle to be linerless (like Spyderco did with the Salt 2) but what a fantastic knife this would be. It's no secret to anyone who has read my posts before that I am a huge fan of linerless knives as I find them to be more than adequately strong and just simpler in design...anyone else on board?
clovisc

Re: Salty Stretch?

Post by clovisc »

I'm in!!!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Oh absoflippinlutely. I'd buy a Stretch Salt 100% over a Pacific.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
pinepig2

Post by pinepig2 »

Nice idea, but the Stretch 2 changes eliminated a couple of my favorite qualities of the Stretch.
Joris Mo

Post by Joris Mo »

Definitely but I would prefer the Stretch 2.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

As D said. I'm in the market for a Pac Salt SE, and will hopefully get one soon, but if a Stretch Salt lightweight were available, I'd jump on it.
J.Sib84

Post by J.Sib84 »

I would buy a Salt Stretch in a heartbeat. I bought my first stretch 2 about a month ago and used to to gut and quarter this years deer.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Wondering if we will see an LC200N Stretch Salt soon?? That would be an instabuy for me! A Lil' Stretch Salt would also be incredible!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Yes. Would buy. Have made/ seen a couple other similar suggestions. While I might prefer linerless, it wouldn't have to be ( see Carribean). Dunno which would be more affordable tho.

Problem is Stretch 2 is already not selling as well as Spyderco would like and I don't know if the market for a salt version is there.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

steelcity16 wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:10 pm
Wondering if we will see an LC200N Stretch Salt soon?? That would be an instabuy for me! A Lil' Stretch Salt would also be incredible!
This Thread startet (and died) well before I joined the forum, so thanx for bumping it!
Of course I am in! Stretch Salt, man, that would be great...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Enactive wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 2:30 pm
Yes. Would buy. Have made/ seen a couple other similar suggestions. While I might prefer linerless, it wouldn't have to be ( see Carribean). Dunno which would be more affordable tho.

Problem is Stretch 2 is already not selling as well as Spyderco would like and I don't know if the market for a salt version is there.
Not too long ago Sal posted, that he'd be planning a "straight spine Stretch". So basically a spine like on the Endura I'd assume. While I prefer the current curved shape of the spine, maybe a straight spine Stretch would look better to many and consequently sell better?

I would be ok with a Salt Stretch having a straight spine... ;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Post by Doeswhateveraspidercan »

Salty Stretch or Stretch 2 is fine with me would buy either one but I want liners or it is a no sale.
tangent

Post by tangent »

Yeah...I'm really surprised we aren't seeing more plain edge salt folders with LC200N. I know it's probably coming, but I'm just impatient. :)
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

tangent wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:12 pm
Yeah...I'm really surprised we aren't seeing more plain edge salt folders with LC200N. I know it's probably coming, but I'm just impatient. :)
Correct me if I'm wrong, but aside from the Spydiechef, Carribean, and N5 LW, aren't all of the Salt folders made in Japan? The Japanese both strongly prefer to use domestically produced steel, and are very reluctant to export their steels. IIRC, Sal has said it was quite a feat to get the Japanese to export H1 so Spyderco could use that steel on the Golden made Autonomy auto openers. My understanding (again, I could be wrong) is that Zapp only produces LC200N in Germany.

In short, I don't think we'll see LC200N on the Japanese made stretch. I hope that the N5 LW Salt sells well enough that Spyderco makes LC200N Salt versions a standard offering in the rest of the US made lineup.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

I love LC200N’s sharpening response. I imagine a Stretch Salt would be unlined to avoid the cost (included in the Caribbean) of corrosion-resistance liners and their fabrication. Still, I’d take one. A Stretch2, please.

But, I agree. I don’t see this steel in a Seki-City Spydie.
-Marc (pocketing an S30V Military2 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

I prefer the fit to hand with the Stretch 2 g10 to that of the Caribbean so it would be a no brainer that it would be the preferred knife between the two options.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Doeswhateveraspidercan

cycleguy wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:07 am
I prefer the fit to hand with the Stretch 2 g10 to that of the Caribbean so it would be a no brainer that it would be the preferred knife between the two options.

CG
Yep and charge me $10.00 or $20.00 bucks more for Salt Liners will be glad to pay the up-charge.
SpyderEdgeForever

Post by SpyderEdgeForever »

I am 100 percent for this and I believe that many Spyderco users and collectors and other people would be for such a product. I would hope that it would have FRN handles and LC200N blade.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:21 am
cycleguy wrote:

CG
Yep and charge me $10.00 or $20.00 bucks more for Salt Liners will be glad to pay the up-charge.

If you think about it they could save a fortune on tooling costs instead of making new FRN molds like the other Salts use, and then mark up the price a bit to cover the cost of whatever rust proof steel they decide to use for the liners. This would save us the wait time for handle development too.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Doeswhateveraspidercan

Evil D wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:41 am
Doeswhateveraspidercan wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:21 am
cycleguy wrote:

CG

If you think about it they could save a fortune on tooling costs instead of making new FRN molds like the other Salts use, and then mark up the price a bit to cover the cost of whatever rust proof steel they decide to use for the liners. This would save us the wait time for handle development too.
Very well said the handle after all is wonderful on the Stretch 2 better in fact than the Stretch 1. The handle can also accommodate the same longer more stretch 1 like blade found in the ZDP189 Stretch 2 in G10.

I am all in for this and while they are at it I will pledge to purchase 6 total 2 in PE, 2 in SE and two in PS.