My thoughts about the Positron

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
zhyla

My thoughts about the Positron

Post by zhyla »

Like a lot of people here I snagged a Positron once they went on clearance. As of today the CF version is still availabe for $100. I figured I'd post some of my thoughts since there's been a lot of mixed reviews about this knife.

First some basic photos:

It's a really pretty design I think. The flipper tab doesn't jump out at you and scream "flipper!". The carbon fiber is a little muted which I like. The blade is not gimmicky. And it's quite light.

There's a bit of a incongruity here. The blade is thicker and stouter than you'd expect in a small "gents" knife. The wire clip I think makes zero sense for a dressy knife. But this was originally an expensive knife and the handle is not something you'd really want to scuff up in, say, outdoor use.

The main complaints I've heard so far are:

1. Issues flipping.
2. Issues unlocking.
3. Hotspots from the clip.
4. S30v

I'll take those in order. (1) On my particular sample it took about 50 flips to break in. It flips perfectly now. (2) Those 50 flips were murder on my thumb due to the unlocking. That's getting better. I think the main issue is it's hard to tell when it's unlocked. You don't have to push it very far. There are a couple mods that can help with that but I'm opting to leave it as-is right now. (3) And then the clip... oh that clip...

(4) Oh, and the steel? I'm not that interested in steel in a pocket knife. This is fine. If the highest end steel du jour would add $5 to this knife I'd rather have my $5. One thing I will say however, the blade is not impressively sharp. I haven't touched it up yet but it's on my todo list.

Did I mention the clip? It works, and I know there are tons of rabid wire clip fans. But look at what it does to this knife:

It just makes the whole thing feel gigantic. If you take the clip off it feels amazing. Really, really amazing. Best Spyderco I've ever held. With the clip... it's just a little be awkward.

I'm going to include some side by side photos with another knife. I know we don't often post non-Spyderco knives here but I think it actually makes for a nice contrast. This is a Boker Mini Kwaiken (Lucas Burnley collaboration). I think it's in the same rough genre of knives -- something you'd expect to use indoors but something you wouldn't rough up if you could avoid it. This isn't meant be a review comparison but just some alternate design choices that I thought were interesting. I very much like the Kwaiken, I think it's a very focused design. Would be nice to see a Burnley collab from Spyderco at some point.

The flipper tab is I think better on the Positron than the Kwaiken. Both work, but the the Positron's has a nice edge to catch your finger. However, the CF scale texture really slows my finger pad down if I let my finger drag the handle as I'm flipping and that messes the flip up. It may be well-understood proper form not to do that. I'm not a flipper expert. But the Kwaiken is more forgiving in that aspect (smooth metal slips easier). I have to say though, aesthetically, that rounded flipper on the Kwaiken is pretty nice looking.

The lockbar is a clear win on the Kwaiken. That little indentation catches your thumb perfectly. The large jimping on the Positron lockbar doesn't appear to do anything good. If anything it reduces the amount of lockbar your thumb contacts, making the unlocking more iffy than necessary.

Did I mention the clip?

Look at that clip on the Kwaiken. Small, simple, fairly cheap to produce. The Positron has a very rounded scale which probably makes fitting a clip a challenge. And Spyderco for probably cost reasons opted to not do a custom clip for this one knife. I get that. Personally, I think it would have been better off with either a smaller wire clip or a small hourglass clip as is used on the Delica. There may be space reasons why that wouldn't work.

With all that complaining about the clip I have to say, with my fairly large hands the clip doesn't bother me too much.

So, after all that, would I recommend this knife? Am I keeping it? Would I buy again? Yeah, I think think I'm very pro-Positron at this point, at least as this price point. I don't think I would have been disappointed at the original street price but I just don't generally buy knives that expensive.

My real complaint, which nobody has touched on that I've seen, is that a serrated version would be very, very interesting. I'm not sure there are any serrated Spyderco flippers, are there? I'm a huge Spyderedge fan and feel a little naked with a bare blade.

Well, thanks for reading my ramblings, hope this has been useful to anyone sitting on the fence on this knife.
ccmm

Re: My thoughts about the Positron

Post by ccmm »

Thanks for share some of your thoughts, It's very important for us. It was great read
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Great review zhyla! As I clicked into this thread, I thought to myself that I'd share the one major insight I had from having and using the Positron for a while but it seems you hit the nail pretty squarely on the head - take the clip off!! :D The second I did that with my CF Positron, it was like holding a completely different knife! I still really appreciate it for how slim and small it is, and that it has some of the (very few unfortunately) true 3D-contoured sets of CF/G10 scales in Spydieland.

The only thing I guess I can add for any new Positron owners is that on both my CF and orange G10 Positrons, I attached a short lanyard fob and bead through the clip screw hole so they were easier to pull from my pocket. I also invested in a few Olympus CS-131 soft carry cases I found on Amazon (~$8-$9) that I found work amazing as pocket knife slips as well (they are super soft!). So now my Positrons both ride in these slips, as well as my Centofante Memory - another knife I think is much better clipless. I just checked the price of these slips on Amazon and they seem a bit high, but I bet you could find these kinds of slips cheaper elsewhere. I wasn't too keen on them rattling around in my pocket with my keys, etc. without some sort of protection. Cheers, Radioactive :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Very nice overview, thank you for sharing.

Clips are a funny thing, they seem like they can go either way. I think the wire clip on this knife is a great idea since it’s a gentlemen’s folder. The wire clip doesn’t look like a pocket clip with a knife attached to most people when they see it hanging from your pocket. This makes it nice and inconspicuous when wearing a suit or something. A stamped clip or even the other example you show here would have not worked for me as they draw too much attention.

That said, I agree that the clip creates a hotspot, but for the amount of cutting I’ll be doing with this knife, I’m not concerned. If I still had the CF version I would probably just remove the clip and carry it in my inside pockets of my suit jacket.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Liquid Cobra wrote:I think the wire clip on this knife is a great idea since it’s a gentlemen’s folder. The wire clip doesn’t look like a pocket clip with a knife attached to most people when they see it hanging from your pocket. This makes it nice and inconspicuous when wearing a suit or something. A stamped clip or even the other example you show here would have not worked for me as they draw too much attention.
That’s an excellent point that I easily overlooked — people generally don’t wear suits where I live.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Thanks for such a thorough review zhlyla!
zhyla wrote:(1) On my particular sample it took about 50 flips to break in. It flips perfectly now. (2) Those 50 flips were murder on my thumb due to the unlocking. That's getting better. I think the main issue is it's hard to tell when it's unlocked. You don't have to push it very far.....
Mine was a great flipper from the start. I think the stronger than normal detent (for a Spyderco flipper) made all the difference. I'm really happy with mine in that regard.

As far as unlocking, aside from lack of access, I think one of the big issues I have with mine is that I have to push the lock bar all the way over to unlock it. If the detent ball doesn't completely clear the tang it won't close.
zhyla wrote:It just makes the whole thing feel gigantic. If you take the clip off it feels amazing. Really, really amazing. Best Spyderco I've ever held. With the clip... it's just a little be awkward.
I agree! It is excellent without the clip. I ended up putting the clip back on mine because I like having it clipped to my pocket and I don't mind the extra width.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Have you guys tried reaching around and unlocking the knife with your index finger? It’s painfree and is very easy to do.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Liquid Cobra wrote:Have you guys tried reaching around and unlocking the knife with your index finger? It’s painfree and is very easy to do.
Yes, that's how I've been unlocking it most of the time. Hooking the side of my thumbnail on one of teeth on the lock bar works pretty well for me too.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Sharp Guy wrote:.As far as unlocking, aside from lack of access, I think one of the big issues I have with mine is that I have to push the lock bar all the way over to unlock it. If the detent ball doesn't completely clear the tang it won't close.
Mine will but it feels like it won’t. You just have to push past the detente. If I end up taking mine apart I will file and polish a small ramp where the detente meets the blade in the closing position. I can’t think of any reason you’d want a hard stop there.
gaj999

Post by gaj999 »

zhyla wrote: The blade is thicker and stouter than you'd expect in a small "gents" knife.
Probably because of the liner lock, makes it easier to manufacture and allows for more wear before things start to get loose. The only thin-bladed knives I'm aware of from Spyderco are back locks ...
kwselke

Post by kwselke »

Liquid Cobra wrote:Have you guys tried reaching around and unlocking the knife with your index finger? It’s painfree and is very easy to do.
That's the way I close mine. Slightly rotate the knife in my hand, press on the release with my index finger, and push on the back of the blade with my thumb. Move the index finger out of the way of the blade, and push closed with the thumb. One hand close, fast, simple, and pain free.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

zhyla wrote:
Sharp Guy wrote:.As far as unlocking, aside from lack of access, I think one of the big issues I have with mine is that I have to push the lock bar all the way over to unlock it. If the detent ball doesn't completely clear the tang it won't close.
Mine will but it feels like it won’t. You just have to push past the detente. If I end up taking mine apart I will file and polish a small ramp where the detente meets the blade in the closing position. I can’t think of any reason you’d want a hard stop there.
Yes, mine's the same but I have to push it way too hard to force the detent over the tang. The blade flies closed and bounces halfway open again. I did that once and decided that wasn't such a good idea. My first Sage 5 was similar but not quite as bad. It's one of the reasons I sent it in to W&R.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I decided to try a Dragonfly clip tonight. Not a huge difference but it definitely feels better to me.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Is the Dfly clip less thick? Like does it stick up less?

Has anyone disassembled one of these yet? I tried the index finger to close. I don't like it. It does work well. Thinking of adding that ramp sooner than later.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

zhyla wrote:Is the Dfly clip less thick? Like does it stick up less?
It's the same as far as thickness but, since it's shorter, it's not putting pressure in my palm under my index finger. I'll probably put the long clip back on. Just messing around.
zhyla wrote:Has anyone disassembled one of these yet? I tried the index finger to close. I don't like it. It does work well. Thinking of adding that ramp sooner than later.
I've had mine apart a couple times now
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Sharp Guy wrote:I've had mine apart a couple times now
Anything to watch out for? I took an IKBS knife apart once and wasn't prepared for the tiny bearings flying everywhere.
palonej

Post by palonej »

Just ordered one yesterday......$99 for the CF version. Could not pass it up at that price.
Really looking forward to checking it out.
Joe
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

zhyla wrote:
Sharp Guy wrote:I've had mine apart a couple times now
Anything to watch out for? I took an IKBS knife apart once and wasn't prepared for the tiny bearings flying everywhere.
It's actually pretty easy to take apart and put back together. Just make sure you don't over tighten the pivot when you reassemble.
kwselke

Post by kwselke »

My orange G-10 S35VN model arrived in today's mail. On my kitchen scale it weighs 2.8 ounces compared to my CF S30V model's 2.6 ounces. In my opinion the carbon fiber version is far more elegant. The orange will work with jeans and I'll use the black when wearing my charcoal gray pinstripe suit. After a week and a half learning how to handle the carbon fiber model I had no issues opening and closing this new knife one handed. With my dominate right hand I can open and close the knife 10 to 12 times per minute without issue.

I am a 6' 1" male with rather large hands and have no issue with the pocket clip. I find that the clip provides my fingers with good purchase points while flipping the flipper open and rolling the knife a bit while I do a one handed blade close.

I've been carrying Spyderco back lock thumb openers almost exclusively for the last eight years. The manual of arms for the Delicas and Enduras is very thumb reliant. It took me a while to become comfortable with the Positron's more index finger centric operation. The Positron works for me and they are great buys at $90 for the orange G-10 and $100 for the carbon fiber. This new orange Positron may take the rotation spot reserved for my ZDP189 Delica, I've got less invested in this Positron than I do in that Delica. Just my opinion.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

Anyone reprofiled the edge yet? I sharpened mine and while it slices paper ok I feel like it just does get started in cuts very easily. The bevels on mine are not very symmetric. I haven’t measured but it felt like 35 degrees on one side and 25 on the other. A bit thick for my taste.

I freehand sharpen but that’s not going to fly for reprofiling S30v. Would have to make a little jig of some sort.