Ronin 2 Impressions

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Ronin 2 Impressions

Post by vivi »

I've been looking around for an EDC fixed blade sized between my Ark and Aqua Salt. Had a few different models on my radar, but in the end I went with the Ronin 2.

The Ronin 2 is based on the Yojimbo 2. It offers more blade length in a slimmer package, and surprisingly it manages to be a bit lighter.

The knife is an excellent fit for my XXL hands. It offers just enough handle for a secure, four finger grip, without being so stubby my pinky feels like it wants to slip off.

It feels light and agile in the hand. I tried a variety of grips and I'm pleased with the versatility of the handle. Sabre grip, reverse, pikal....all felt great. Doing precision cuts choked up on the handle with my index finger along the spine, the Ronin 2 offers superb control.

The blade came incredibly sharp, one of the best edges I've seen on a production knife. Easily popped hairs off without contacting my skin.

The blade shape was the main draw for me. I think wharncliffes are unparalleled for general utility work. I also appreciate that it comes from the factory with a pointy tip, unlike the sheepsfoot models Spyderco favors over wharncliffes. I think the length is perfect for my uses too.

Using the knife to cut a few things, the performance is very good. I sliced up some boxes for recycling, quartered an apple, trimmed some loose threads off some new clothes and carved some feather sticks for a fire. One of the things I appreciate about the Ronin 2 is how the cutting edge comes right up to my grip, giving me incredible leverage when whittling. The tip also showed excellent penetration ability when I stabbed it into those boxes :D

The factory edge showed nice penetration into the different materials I cut. Normally I'm grinding a thinner edge on my new knives day 1, but this one cuts well enough I'm going to use it for a while first. It is pretty thin behind the edge bevel, so once I take it down to ~10DPS it will have truly exceptional cutting ability.

Fit and finish on the knife is immaculate aside from one minor nitpick. The spyderhole has a pretty rough texture on the inside, to the point I'm worried it could build up rust over time. I'm going to polish it up a bit.

The sheath is a little larger than I expected. I feel like the edges could be trimmed up a bit, and will probably take my dremel to it at some point. It works very well. It has an incredibly secure hold on the knife....I would have no issues carrying this inverted on a pack during a strenuous hike. It comes with a standard G clip, which was oriented for right hand on the belt carry from factory. There are multiple holes for lashing paracord etc., in addition to the two drilled for the g clip.

The knife carries very well. I had mild concerns it could be a bit longer than I'd want in an EDC but after trying it on I can say the size is no issue for me. YMMV. Sitting down in a car with it on my belt behind my right hip it was perfectly comfortable. The handle scales are rounded on the edges, and the G10 texture is much less abrasive against skin than the FRN bi-directional texturing of my Aqua Salt.

One last nitpick.

This is how the Yojimbo and Ronin are designed to be held. The part of the design that escapes me is the hump over the spyderhole. I think the Yojimbo and Ronin would be much better without this hump here.

That hump, on both the Yojimbo 2 and Ronin 2, is precisely where I want to put my thumb during utility use.

One thing I've realized is the angle of my thumb makes a dramatic different in comfort. If you look at the second joint back from my thumbnail, observe the angle. It is close to zero degrees. Knives that have prominent thumb ramps and small handles put that joint at a 55-75 degree angle. My Police 3, my favorite folder, puts it at a 40 degree angle, which feels perfect for me.

You can find photos of people who have modified their Yojimbo 2 to have a flat spine, such as this one, so I know I am not the only one to feel this way. The Yojimbo 1 also had this issue for me, and it's the reason I sold mine.

All in all I am very happy with the Ronin 2, and have no hesitation recommending it to anyone interested in the model. I see myself getting years of use out of this fantastic design.
Last edited by vivi on Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
:unicorn
Danke

Re: Ronin 2 Impressions

Post by Danke »

I think the designer has some specific feelings about grip and thumb position. He's a poster on here so hopefully he'll see this and chime in.
Detdaddy

Post by Detdaddy »

Great review Vivi. A friend on mine got this and I loved it. I often carry a Yojimbo, and I have a trainer I use to, well, train. The Ronin felt like the Yojimbo, but with his big brother's blade. I think it's mostly viewed as a SD knife. But I would use it as EDC, and use it as you have. I'm putting in an order for guys at work (Opfocus) in next two weeks and your post is pushing me to finally get one. Also, I got to meet Mike Janich at the 2016 Blade Show. Great guy and very down to earth!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Vivi wrote: One last nitpick.

The idea is that the blade point goes wherever your thumb is pointing, see how the spine of the blade is directly in line with the top of your thumb? I especially like my thumb that far forward because it gives me a lot more control and power when cutting compared to being further back which is more of a saber grip.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
mrtodd777

Post by mrtodd777 »

I have owned, and carried a Ronin 2 for over a year now and I would also recommend it to anyone looking for an easy to carry fixed blade. The overall dimensions of the sheath were my only gripe, but I remedied that with a custom kydex sheath I had a buddy make for me. Mine rides IWB at about 4 O clock. I love the utility of the wharncliffe in my work setting (machine shop). Nothing beats it when breaking down boxes, cutting packing foam, etc.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Vivi:

Thank you for your post and the kind words on the Ronin 2. I'm glad you're pleased with it and hope it serves you well!

As I've explained before on this forum, the "R&D" process for the Ronin 2 was almost non-existent. When the Yo 2 first came out, I took my first sample (which I'm still carrying) to an MBC seminar in Ohio and showed it off. One of the folks at the seminar was my friend Mickey Yurco, who is also an incredibly talented custom knifemaker. Mickey doesn't do folders, but took the Yo 2, traced around it on a piece of paper, and a few weeks later sent me a fixed-blade version as a gift. Like all Mickey's work, it was beautiful and I couldn't resist showing it off as well. The folks who saw it loved it and wanted one, so I asked Spyderco is Mickey could make some. They approved and I ordered a few more for myself. When I picked them up at the Blade Show, Eric Glesser saw one and asked if he could put it in the prototype case with our other knives to gauge customer interest. Interest was good and Spyderco decided to make the design.

My goal for the commercial version was to deliver a great knife at an affordable cost--$100 or less, street price. That's why I chose flat, textured G-10 scales and CTS BD1 (which holds a good edge, is very corrosion resistant, and is affordable). The only "disconnect" in the process was that the knife and sheath are made by two different companies. I really wanted the knife maker to emulate Mickey's "sheath-friendly" attention to detail, but he insisted on the crisp lines and edges that are the hallmark of good knifemaking. Since he was only concerned with delivering a well-crafted knife, he wasn't inclined to compromise. After several tries, I finally grabbed the prototype, fired up the grinder, and knocked the crest off the top of the blade. I also added Mickey's signature taper to the lower guard to ease the knife's entry and exit from the sheath. The result is an excellent, affordable fixed-blade that is very good, but not quite perfect.

With regard to the crest and its effect on thumb placement, that will always be somewhat dependent upon hand size, but I agree. When I designed the Yo 2, I included the crest as a compromise for folks who like the saber grip. The small patch of jimping on the liners was also for their benefit. The real thumb purchase, however, was supposed to be the contour on the blade spine, to allow the thumb to guide the blade. When I fine-tuned the design and did a bunch of ballistic cutting with the prototype, it worked just as intended. However, when the Yo 2 trainer was released earlier this year, my thoughts on the ergos of the handle evolved. Teaching with that knife for 10-12 hours a day at Martial Blade Camp made me less fond of the crest at the blade/handle juncture. It also convinced me that the best way to test the ergos of a personal defense knife is to make a trainer and work with it for hours on end before finalizing the live-blade design.

The best part of this entire process is that I still get to learn and I still get to challenge myself to make my designs even better. I love that part...

Thanks again for your enthusiasm for the Ronin 2.

Stay safe,

Mike
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

One of the fixed blades that I want to add to my Spydie collection, as the Jumpmaster is a bit too big for most EDC situations and I prefer having a PE option as the SE is already covered by the Aqua Salt.
The thumb placement on the JM is awesome, though.

CTS-BD1 and I are good friends, and it's proven to be very corrosion resistance in my (often humid) pockets so it's no slouch compared to H1 for my needs

thanks for the impressions and Mr.Janich for chiming in! Wonderful reading as usual :spyder:
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Lulz, your hand makes the Ronin look small Vivi :D That's a sweet knife, you've got there.

Thanks for sharing your design experience with the Ronin and the Trainer Mike, I'm a big fan of your work, and always enjoy hearing about the process behind it.

I know the ronin 2 and yo 2 are subtly different but for the sake of comparison, this is where the crest is when I grip the knife on the Yo2.
I don't have nearly the same gap that you do Vivi, my palm/thumb is almost completely flat to the handle. I haven't done hours of ballistic cutting with it, but I have taken the Yo2 to a 24 pack of paper towel rolls at full force for a few minutes and didn't find the grip to be uncomfortable. FWIW the grip felt solid and natural to me, and the knife cut with ease and authority..... That being said if you need anyone to help you test out prototypes for a Yojimbo 3 Mike, you let me know! I would happily volunteer :D
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
vivi

Post by vivi »

Evil D wrote:The idea is that the blade point goes wherever your thumb is pointing, see how the spine of the blade is directly in line with the top of your thumb? I especially like my thumb that far forward because it gives me a lot more control and power when cutting compared to being further back which is more of a saber grip.
That's a good point. I may get used to it over time.

I will say when a thumb ramp is prominent on a small knife and my thumb has a 60-75 degree angle, that causes pain. With knives like the Yojimbo and Ronin the thumb position feels weird...but it doesn't hurt. So even if I don't end up liking it, I know I can live with it. I adore basically every other aspect of the design.

There is a minor issue of it putting my thumb in the way of what I'm cutting at times, but I can switch to the first grip I posted in those scenarios.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Mr. Janich, I really appreciate you taking the time to post your insights on your design.
Michael Janich wrote:Dear Vivi:

Thank you for your post and the kind words on the Ronin 2. I'm glad you're pleased with it and hope it serves you well!

As I've explained before on this forum, the "R&D" process for the Ronin 2 was almost non-existent. When the Yo 2 first came out, I took my first sample (which I'm still carrying) to an MBC seminar in Ohio and showed it off. One of the folks at the seminar was my friend Mickey Yurco, who is also an incredibly talented custom knifemaker. Mickey doesn't do folders, but took the Yo 2, traced around it on a piece of paper, and a few weeks later sent me a fixed-blade version as a gift. Like all Mickey's work, it was beautiful and I couldn't resist showing it off as well. The folks who saw it loved it and wanted one, so I asked Spyderco is Mickey could make some. They approved and I ordered a few more for myself. When I picked them up at the Blade Show, Eric Glesser saw one and asked if he could put it in the prototype case with our other knives to gauge customer interest. Interest was good and Spyderco decided to make the design.

My goal for the commercial version was to deliver a great knife at an affordable cost--$100 or less, street price. That's why I chose flat, textured G-10 scales and CTS BD1 (which holds a good edge, is very corrosion resistant, and is affordable). The only "disconnect" in the process was that the knife and sheath are made by two different companies. I really wanted the knife maker to emulate Mickey's "sheath-friendly" attention to detail, but he insisted on the crisp lines and edges that are the hallmark of good knifemaking. Since he was only concerned with delivering a well-crafted knife, he wasn't inclined to compromise. After several tries, I finally grabbed the prototype, fired up the grinder, and knocked the crest off the top of the blade. I also added Mickey's signature taper to the lower guard to ease the knife's entry and exit from the sheath. The result is an excellent, affordable fixed-blade that is very good, but not quite perfect.

With regard to the crest and its effect on thumb placement, that will always be somewhat dependent upon hand size, but I agree. When I designed the Yo 2, I included the crest as a compromise for folks who like the saber grip. The small patch of jimping on the liners was also for their benefit. The real thumb purchase, however, was supposed to be the contour on the blade spine, to allow the thumb to guide the blade. When I fine-tuned the design and did a bunch of ballistic cutting with the prototype, it worked just as intended. However, when the Yo 2 trainer was released earlier this year, my thoughts on the ergos of the handle evolved. Teaching with that knife for 10-12 hours a day at Martial Blade Camp made me less fond of the crest at the blade/handle juncture. It also convinced me that the best way to test the ergos of a personal defense knife is to make a trainer and work with it for hours on end before finalizing the live-blade design.

The best part of this entire process is that I still get to learn and I still get to challenge myself to make my designs even better. I love that part...

Thanks again for your enthusiasm for the Ronin 2.

Stay safe,

Mike
Being privy to information like this is one of the reasons that I enjoy supporting this company so much. It's very rare to have design processes explained in such detail, and the information gleaned from posts like yours help me understand the designs I purchase and carry.

Nothing beats hours of hands on use with a knife for refining ergonomics. I've had knives that looked comfortable that ended up not working for extended use, and the opposite.

I think you and Spyderco did a fantastic job of achieving your goals. The Ronin is affordable, very well made, and feels capable of any task I plan to throw at it.

I'm very interested to see how the Ronin and Yojimbo evolve in the future.

Also, one last thing....I really liked the font on the original Yojimbo. I'd like to see that come back :)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I've come to prefer Filipino grip so much I tend to shy away from models with strong thumb ramps. I've made an exception for the Military because I have room to move my hand back from it so I'm not so cramped. Otherwise I like models like the Sliverax because I can get the same grip without the thumb ramp being in my way.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Thank you all for your feedback and kind words. I'm glad you enjoy hearing about some of the "back story" of design development and will do my best to continue to share it in the future.

Stay safe,

Mike
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

Thanks for the thread - interesting conversation! I still regret not picking up the original Ronin but have two Yo2's. I am a fan! But the Ronin 2 is near the top of my want list for a steel upgrade. I understand the reason for using a value steel, and am glad that spyderco does this to make great designs more accessible, but I would love to see an higher wear resistance steel version too. Cruwear would be good (not stainless) but love it in the PM2 and Mili. How about S90V to match my Yo2s? :)
Last edited by dogrunner on Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dogrunner

Post by dogrunner »

oops - accidentally quoted rather than edited my comment - so deleted.
vivi

Post by vivi »

dogrunner wrote:Thanks for the thread - interesting conversation! I still regret not picking up the original Ronin but have two Yo2's. I am a fan! But the Ronin 2 is near the top of my want list for a steel upgrade. I understand the reason for using a value steel, and am glad that spyderco does this to make great designs more accessible, but I would love to see an higher wear resistance steel version too. Cruwear would be good (not stainless) but love it in the PM2 and Mili. How about S90V to match my Yo2s? :)
I missed out on the original Ronin too. I'd still like to try one someday.

I've had good experiences with CTSBD1 in the form of a Manix. Still too early to really comment on how it performs as a hollow ground wharncliffe, but I'm definitely going to be using and sharpening this enough to find out.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Now that I've gotten a chance to carry the Ronin 2 for a bit, I wanted to update this.

The knife carries very well. I've been carrying it vertical on my belt at 3 o clock with a SE Pacific Salt clipped to a pocket. How thin it is plays a big role in how comfortable it is to carry, much like what the Police folder line is known for. It's a fixed blade that provides true all day comfort. With some fixed blades this size I find myself wanting to take it off in my car or sitting in certain chairs, but the Ronin 2 has managed to remain comfortable regardless of what I'm doing. With how light it is, it's a perfectly viable option when I'm in running shorts or running pants with a built in draw string, which I find remarkable (Though I admit I opt for a single lightweight folder on my runs).

I normally put a thinner edge angle on all my knives but have yet to do so with my Ronin 2. I'm still observing the performance of the steel with its factory edge angle. It performed well when new. As I mentioned it came very sharp even by Spyderco standards. When I felt it begin to dull after breaking down a bunch of boxes, I was able to strop it back to hair popping sharp with ease.

After a few more days of use it had dulled enough I needed to use some stones to freshen up the edge. I free handed it, trying my best to match the factory angle. Fine first, then ultrafine, followed by my strop. Maybe 20 strokes per side on each grit, then stropped twice per side, and it was hair whittling sharp, sharper than it came from the factory.

So from my limited use I'm really enjoying both how sharp CTSBD1 gets, and how quickly it gets that sharp. It shows a very quick response to my strop compared to say, my CTS204P Military or S30V Manix XL. Time will tell how it does long term with regards to edge holding. After using pricier super steels it's interesting going to a more budget conscious steel like BD1 and seeing whether real world performance matches your perception of it. I have some limited experience with a beater Manix 2 I ended up gifting to a friend, but not enough to draw firm conclusions from.

I plan to re-bevel it to the 12 degrees per side ballpark, most likely doing a 15dps microbevel. I plan to keep using the ultrafine finish factory edge for now. When I reprofile the edge bevel I'll test out some lower grit edges before I polish things up, but I like how it's working with the polished edge.

No corrosion whatsoever so far, which is mildly surprising. I've used it to slice acidic foods, it's been put away wet a few times, and I've gotten some sweat on it (usually rusts anything aside from H1 or Ti within 10 hours.) I've been a bit intentionally careless with it in this regard to try to find CTSBD1's breaking point in terms of corrosion resistance. Not a speck of anything.

The blade shape, as I expected, is working very well for me. Sharpening is a complete breeze, even one handed. Cuts are very controlled. Compared to the more typical drop point and leaf shape blades that round out my Spyderco collection, I find materials much less likely to slip off the tip end while slicing. Tip penetration is very high. The tip is thin and sharp, effortlessly piercing into boxes and plastic packaging.

I discovered one slight drawback to the scale design. When I use the knife in reverse grip, edge out, the top corner of the G10 scales near the spyderhole pokes into my palm. Five minutes and some sand paper and I'll get that taken care of. Might not happen with people that have smaller hands.

The sheath has broken in noticeably. Sliding the knife in is much easier now, yet it still requires a firm pull to unsheathe. It's much more convenient using the knife for quick utility work now that it slides right back in with no hassle. When it was new it took a pretty firm press to get it back in there.

All in all I can say this knife is only growing on me. I find myself enjoying it more and more as I use it. I plan to shoot a video of me cutting up some different things sometime soon. Maybe I'll compare it side by side with my Aqua Salt.

Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Vivi:

Thank you very much for your follow-up review and for putting your Ronin 2 to good use. I'm very glad it's serving you well and really appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences with it.

Stay safe,

Mike
ThePeacent

Post by ThePeacent »

very nice to read your update and it works for you s I expected it would, so i guess it'll work for me too. Another Spyderco that was "one the list" but now it's a bit more interesting.

As for BD1, I haven't tried it on any Spydercos but my Cold Steel knives in this steel (2 of them) share that characteristic, easy to bring back to hair whittling sharp in a minute, and I've had no concerns with their rust resistance (as I had with similar models made of AUS-8)

Looking forward to that video, as I'm very conscious of my Aqua Salt's capabilities and would like to see how this one compares :spyder:
vivi

Post by vivi »

I started reprofiling the Ronin. Not quite finished, but I did completely grind off the factory edge.

Got a little impatient and gave it a quick 15 degree microbevel on my sharpmaker, then took it to my ultrafine stone, followed by a strop.

WOW. Just wow. This thing demolishes anything it touches. I thought it cut well with the factory edge, but with this edge it chews up cardboard like it's a joke. I stacked 12 layers of corrugated cardboard together and push cut through it with ease.

Crazy thing was after breaking down about 15 large boxes it still caught hair above the skin. I was expecting maybe scraping arm hair, not popping it off effortlessly. Gonna be fun putting CTSBD1 through its paces and seeing how the edge holding is at thin angles.

Plan to finish up the bevel this week and take some photos outside. This was a quick indoors photo before I left for work.

Whenever the edge is done I'll shoot a video showing off its abilities.
twinboysdad

Post by twinboysdad »

I wonder how easy to shorten the blade it would be? I like it but would like it more an inch shorter