Scales for Para3 cruwear

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SmCaudata

Scales for Para3 cruwear

Post by SmCaudata »

In order to slow down on my collecting, I'm looking at customization for some of my knives. I really like my Para3 cruwear. I find that I'm carrying it quite a bit. I'm not a huge fan of the pocket shredding ability of the scales. I have other g10 knives (military, para 2, superleaf) for more intense cutting. What do you guys think would go better with the steel on this knife? I've looked most seriously at some stonewashed titanium (would match my deep carry clip) and black linen micarta. I have some titanium (slysz bowie and spydiechef) and carbon fiber knives (preordered PM2 52100), so the micarta would be something different, but the titanium may look cool with the blade as it patinas.

What do you guys think?
farnorthdan

Re: Scales for Para3 cruwear

Post by farnorthdan »

First welcome to the forum,

I went with a brown Micarta from Cuscadi on my Para3 Cruwear, the scales are smooth as glass on the flats but give some traction on the edges, this one slides in and out of the pocket great.

I also went with the backspacer to add ridgidness and am getting little to no flex with this setup.
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

If you are not attached to the light gray g10 scales, you could always sand them down and even rit dye them yourself before you go out and buy more scales. Could be a fun project.
SmCaudata

Post by SmCaudata »

SF Native wrote:If you are not attached to the light gray g10 scales, you could always sand them down and even rit dye them yourself before you go out and buy more scales. Could be a fun project.

I started to look into that. Will sandpaper (and appropriate safety gear) be all I need?
SmCaudata

Post by SmCaudata »

farnorthdan wrote:First welcome to the forum,

I went with a brown Micarta from Cuscadi on my Para3 Cruwear, the scales are smooth as glass on the flats but give some traction on the edges, this one slides in and out of the pocket great.

I also went with the backspacer to add ridgidness and am getting little to no flex with this setup.
That does look nice.
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

SmCaudata wrote:
SF Native wrote:If you are not attached to the light gray g10 scales, you could always sand them down and even rit dye them yourself before you go out and buy more scales. Could be a fun project.

I started to look into that. Will sandpaper (and appropriate safety gear) be all I need?
Yeah, basically. Get finer and finer sand paper will get smoother and smoother. You could polish them with enough elbow grease. Might want to get a wiha set of bits to take it apart and not mark up the fasteners. But you can sand those a bit and not hurt them too.
The course sand paper might show us as white scrapes but you won’t see those on the light gray g10.
holeshot

Post by holeshot »

You might want to take a look at G10it.com I believe. He's out of Lithuania but does great scales in a variety of materials. He's a little pricey but does good work. Here's a pic of a para 2 he did for me the G10 is very smooth.
Attachments
image.jpeg
"No matter where you go, there you are"
Chumango

Post by Chumango »

I lightly sanded most of the G10 models I have to preserve pockets. Some are smoother than others - do a little and stop to see if the texture is how you want it. It is easy to overshoot (which I did on my M4 PM2) unless you want it really smooth.
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

farnorthdan wrote:First welcome to the forum,

Wow, that's a prime pair right there! Really nice, Dan!
I still get along well with my regular G10 scales, but that micarta looks tasty.
Going back to Caly.
farnorthdan

Post by farnorthdan »

Thanks speed, good to see you around again :)
Happy to be part of this great forum and group of down to earth spyderco addicts, Thanks Sal and gang.
My Grails: Lum Tanto folder sprint, Sprint Persian(red), Captain, Manix 2 (M4), SB MT, PM2 M390, CF dodo, Manix2 (CF S90V),Manix2 XL S90V, Zowada CF Balance Rassenti Nivarna, Lil' Nilakka, Tuff, Police 4, Chinook 4, Caly HAP40 52100 Military, S110V Military, Any/All PM2 & Military sprints/exclusives I can get my grubby hands on :) :spyder: :) :spyder: :)

"We may look curious, homely, whatever, but we'll never be called unusable or undependable."
SpeedHoles

Post by SpeedHoles »

farnorthdan wrote:Thanks speed, good to see you around again :)

Hey thanks! :)
Going back to Caly.